• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Boy Leaves Power 106, Jumps Ship to iHeart's Return of 92.3 The Beat

im am hearing 923 to return as 923 the beat and radioinght.com is reporting it and 923thebeatla.com

That's probably not a bad idea, provided they don't recreate that "Rock With A Beat" format they initially tried in 1989.

RadioInsight speculates (not "reports", as it is not based on anything but Lance's sniffing out domain name registrations and the like) that the plan is for Kurt "Big Boy" Alexander to jump over to 92.3 when his contract at KPWR expires at the end of this month. Emmis (KPWR's owner) is suing him for breach of contract, alleging that Alexander is jumping to iHeart even though Emmis is matching their offer, as contractually required.

If -- and with that lawsuit filed, it now becomes an "if" -- 92.3 does reposition, I would presume it would be to a classic hip-hop format if Big Boy is planned for mornings. Which would put the final nails in the coffin over at 93.5 ...

Last edited:
That's probably not a bad idea, provided they don't recreate that "Rock With A Beat" format they initially tried in 1989.

RadioInsight speculates (not "reports", as it is not based on anything but Lance's sniffing our domain name registrations and the like) that the plan is for Kurt "Big Boy" Alexander to jump over to 92.3 when his contract at KPWR expires at the end of this month. Emmis (KPWR's owner) is suing him for breach of contract, alleging that Alexander is jumping to iHeart even though Emmis is matching their offer, as contractually required.

If -- and with that lawsuit filed, it now becomes an "if" -- 92.3 does reposition, I would presume it would be to a classic hip-hop format if Big Boy is planned for mornings. Which would put the final nails in the coffin over at 93.5 ...

Don't presume anything. It might be currents. Similer. To KPWR.

KDAY Ratings are not spectacular.

If iHeart is planning to take on KPWR, they're going to need to do more that just steal away talent. Not only that, KPWR is a Rhythmic Top 40, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pull a San Antonio (KZEP) to challenge Power 106.

Last edited:
If iHeart is planning to take on KPWR, they're going to need to do more that just steal away talent. Not only that, KPWR is a Rhythmic Top 40, so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pull a San Antonio (KZEP) to challenge Power 106.

KZEP is not a rhythmic CHR. It is mostly throwbacks with a few currents. It started with a month of non-stop music, and jocks were not added until much later.

Apparently his contract is up, got a better offer with iHeart and left. Emmis is suing to retain him and to prevent him from joining the rumored 92.3 The Beat.

Emmis is suing due to a "right of first refusal" in the talent's contract which was allegedly met, yet the talent still crossed the street.

Just guessing, I'd suspect that the next step for Emmis is to seek injunctive relief to prevent the show airing on a competitive station.

Sort of puts all that talk about CC being cheap or not paying for talent in context, doesn't it? As I've been saying for many years, CC pays lots of money for on air talent. But the talent needs to be able to deliver, and not everyone can do that.

Sort of puts all that talk about CC being cheap or not paying for talent in context, doesn't it? As I've been saying for many years, CC pays lots of money for on air talent. But the talent needs to be able to deliver, and not everyone can do that.

Yes, indeed. $3.5 million a year is big money, even for LA.

KZEP is not a rhythmic CHR. It is mostly throwbacks with a few currents. It started with a month of non-stop music, and jocks were not added until much later.

That's what I was thinking. A Rhythmic with currents and throwbacks. If that can work in San Antonio, what would stop them from bringing it to Los Angeles.

Last edited:
I taped some of that heartbeat. Every few minutes a 20-second excerpt of a song would play...and then it was back to the heartbeat. SRF is correct: it indeed was interesting. On another thread I said that Los Angeles needs a current-based adult r&b station, one which does not play rap or hip-hop. It would be similar to the old KACE. I doubt that KHHT would go in that direction, not if they're resurrecting the identifier "The Beat." Perhaps KHHT will still be r&b oldies but focus on 1980s-90s. Is that likely?

Kday use to be "hip hop from today and back in the day" I notice the classic hip hop format that is the flavor of the month right now across the country doesn't really garner very high ratings in los angeles which is where you would think it would do well. If 92.3 does acquire big boy it will be ihearts los angeles second big morning show to acquire within the year. I am talking about the woody show on alt 98.7 which I enjoy. Iheart does have lot of bucks for people other then seacrest if they want to spend it.

Time will tell radio guys and gals

I notice the classic hip hop format that is the flavor of the month right now across the country doesn't really garner very high ratings in los angeles which is where you would think it would do well.

KDAY has considerably less than a full-market signal. From Baldwin Hills, the signal does not get into the San Fernando Valley anywhere near what you would call "clearly". Go south of Long Beach along the coast and they fade quickly. Forget the San Gabriel Valley; East Los Angeles is about as far in that direction where it's listenable.

They've only held on this long because they have no direct competition. That's why I suspect iHeart will take 92.3 The Beat to classic hip-hop; the format is heating up nationwide, KDAY can be knocked off in less than two books (they've never broken a 2 share in their target demo in eleven years of trying), and they don't have to go up against KPWR directly.

As for the lawsuit: I doubt that Big Boy is stupid and making this move without legal advice. There must be something in the contract that Emmis is depending on for its position which is either not applicable or a grey area.

And I hope Alex Meruelo has a backup plan for KDAY.

If 92.3 does acquire big boy it will be ihearts los angeles second big morning show to acquire within the year. I am talking about the woody show on alt 98.7 which I enjoy.

In the last book, KYSR was 10th in 18-49 overall, but 18th in the morning. iHeart does not have big bucks to spend on shows that drag a whole station down.

Yall.notice when a show becomes big i heart comes in n steals it from there owner. They did it with delilah which jones radio network use to have. They did it with lex n terry which cox use to have and i am sure there are others

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom