• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Listener surveys

It's interesting that I can make a very innocuous comment that anyone whomakes an outrageous statement of opinion in a listener survey probably shouldn't be taken seriously. And, I present a mild and cogent reason for my innocuous comment. So naturally, Mr. Know-it-all has to chime in with a comment that demonstrates that he doesn't have a clue, and JeffM post the only comment he is capable of posting, an asinine and insulting non-sequitur.

The alternative to doing research is what? Playing the PD's personal iPod?

Or blindly following the Whitburn books, stiffs and all.

It's interesting that I can make a very innocuous comment that anyone whomakes an outrageous statement of opinion in a listener survey probably shouldn't be taken seriously. And, I present a mild and cogent reason for my innocuous comment. So naturally, Mr. Know-it-all has to chime in with a comment that demonstrates that he doesn't have a clue, and JeffM post the only comment he is capable of posting, an asinine and insulting non-sequitur.

Forgive us for taking your castle so easily. You see, the moat was dry, the drawbridge was down and the gate was open. And inside, the guards were drunk or sleeping.

And the knight, who should have been guarding his keep, was out on a donkey tilting at windmills.

Forgive us for taking your castle so easily. You see, the moat was dry, the drawbridge was down and the gate was open. And inside, the guards were drunk or sleeping.

And the knight, who should have been guarding his keep, was out on a donkey tilting at windmills.

Come *****************.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come mierda y morir.

It's actually "*********" if what you are saying is "eat **** and die".

Lovely sentiment. And, as always, the person who resorts to vulgarity, particularly scatology, is admitting they have run out of discussion points and has lost the argument.

In your joust with the windmills, it appears that the windmills won.

Last edited by a moderator:
It must have been an interesting time with some colorful episodes when the man served as a Lay Minister in his church.

I can imagine this conversation while riding the MARTA train to the Atlanta airport. So you are a member at ___ church. Is that where AL is an Lay Minister?

"Yes, and I have an important job there."

And what is that?

"We run him on tape delay like a radio talk show and I sit there with my finger on the delete button to make sure the overly colorful language get's bleeped out."

Lovely sentiment. And, as always, the person who resorts to vulgarity, particularly scatology, is admitting they have run out of discussion points and has lost the argument.

In your joust with the windmills, it appears that the windmills won.

That is an incorrect statement. Resorting to vulgarity and/or scatology is about all that's left when responding to irrelevant non-sequiturs. There is no "logical rebuttal" to inane drivel like "Forgive us for taking your castle so easily. You see, the moat was dry, the drawbridge was down and the gate was open. And inside, the guards were drunk or sleeping. And the knight, who should have been guarding his keep, was out on a donkey tilting at windmills."

When you resort to inane and childish mockery, you have abandoned logical argument. You dragged the discussion into the gutter with your smarmy, snarky attempt to emulate the style of wit of an 18th century fop.

That is an incorrect statement. .

Speaking of "incorrect" in 4 words in Spanish you made 2 incorrect usages, rendering the statement both absurd and ridiculous.

Speaking of "incorrect" in 4 words in Spanish you made 2 incorrect usages, rendering the statement both absurd and ridiculous.

So blame Google translate. I never pretended I could speak or write Spanish. And, since I was responding to your comment which was both absurd and ridiculous, an absurd and ridiculous reply seems quite appropriate.

So blame Google translate. .

So the person who believes nearly everyone in radio is incompetent, and thinks that Nielsen is wrong and station research is badly done is willing to trust a computer to translate something smutty and then to post it on a public forum.

Double standard much?

Rock is part of what is generally called "contemporary music" without modifiers... pop / rock / contemporary /CHR / soft rock / acoustic rock / hard rock /. The broad genre does not include country, jazz, classical, R&B, hip hop, etc.

Those songs are in done by what anyone but you would call rock artists. If you want to pick nits, it pays minimum wage.

Eat poop and die!

How can "Rock", which is an amalgam of "Country", "Jazz" and "R&B", not include those genres?

How can "Rock", which is an amalgam of "Country", "Jazz" and "R&B", not include those genres?

But "rock" is not pure country, or pure jazz or pure r&b today.

I was influenced by Edwin Armstrong, but I am not Edwin Armstrong myself.

When you resort to inane and childish mockery, you have abandoned logical argument. You dragged the discussion into the gutter with your smarmy, snarky attempt to emulate the style of wit of an 18th century fop.

18th Century Fop? Is that anything like 20th Century Fox? (Who are themselves now a century out of date; though that's hardly Fox news to anyone...)

PS: What does the fox say, anyway?

But "rock" is not pure country, or pure jazz or pure r&b today.

I was influenced by Edwin Armstrong, but I am not Edwin Armstrong myself.
I see where you're going with this. It's like you can play a CD on a Blu-Ray player but not vice-versa.
18th Century Fop? Is that anything like 20th Century Fox? (Who are themselves now a century out of date; though that's hardly Fox news to anyone...)

PS: What does the fox say, anyway?

Fox and 20th Century studios merged sometime around 1930. It isn't like one studio set out to align themselves with the times. Wait another 85 years and it will just have an historical perspective.

Genres are named after they are created. While all musical genres borrow bits and pieces from all other musical genres, they still maintain a certain level if distinct individuality. Ravioli, perogies, empanadas, and dim sum are all similar little packages of some sort of tasty filling inside some sort of pasta-like wrapper. Perhaps there was some inspiration or influence of one of those dishes on the creation of the others. Nevertheless, they are each distinctly individual. So it is with music. Despite some level of shared roots, the synthesis of elements of multiple styles of music still resulted in a new genre, distinct, unique, and separate from its forebears.

If anyone is a fan of old Britcoms, they might have seen the episode of "Yes, Minister" where Sir Humphrey Appleby demonstrated to Bernard Woolley how easy it was to craft opinion poll questions in such a way as to produce whatever result the person writing the poll wanted to achieve. It's not all that difficult.

It was the sequel series "Yes Prime Minister", the episode was "Leading Questions" ... and here's the clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

I am somewhat surprised to find that Avid and I have a shared interest in this classic Britcom.

It was the sequel series "Yes Prime Minister", the episode was "Leading Questions" ... and here's the clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

I am somewhat surprised to find that Avid and I have a shared interest in this classic Britcom.

I don't know which is more shocking. The fact that you and I appreciate an outstanding Britcom, or the fact that after going to all the trouble of actually finding the clip and a link to it, you have absolutely no comment on the whole point of me mentioning it, which is that any sort of public opinion research can be terribly skewed by how the questions are asked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom