• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ernie Boch, Junior behind the sucky Subaru Commercial ?

O

Omnibus

Anyone else think the Subaru commercial with the band sucks big time. Called "Sour Lemon" or something stupid like that. It plays every two minutes and we reach for the MUTE button.

Since Ernie Boch, JUNIOR is the New England sole franchise importer of Subaru and he passes himself off as a music entrepreneur with his own band, wonder if he is the force behind the horrendous band that plays in the Subaru commercial. Must be the only reason this poor excuse for a band is allowed to be inflicted on the public.

Subaru is a very good car but this commerical doesn't represent the well.

Last edited:
From your description of the ad, it sounds like I'm lucky to be in Colorado, so as not to be subjected to an aural assault.

Yes, Subaru, the national car of Colorado, has been making some boners in advertising here as well. Here's a recent outdoor masterpiece: "Your Subaru will take you anywhere," with the prerequisite cool people posing with their Sube with the mountains in the background.

Your Subaru might take you anywhere, but the real question is "Can it get you back?!" Some of the 4WD only roads in the mountain passes can eat Subarus for brunch.

Anyone else think the Subaru commercial with the band sucks big time. Called "Sour Lemon" or something stupid like that. It plays every two minutes and we reach for the MUTE button.

I can't say I've heard it, I am at the Southern Command Post this week.

Since Ernie Boch, JUNIOR is the New England sole franchise importer of Subaru and he passes himself off as a music entrepreneur with his own band, wonder if he is the force behind the horrendous band that plays in the Subaru commercial. Must be the only reason this poor excuse for a band is allowed to be inflicted on the public.

OK, I have met EBJ a few times, I have several friends in the radio business who have spent time with him, including one person who voiced the Suburu commercials for a long time, I can say without reservation nobody has a bad thing to say about him. He is very down to earth, and is a serious musician himself. He is a Berklee School of Music Graduate. He tells a funny story of how it was easier to be a billionaire becoming a musician than a musician to become a billionaire after seeing a huge name musician getting paid a pittance for a performance. I have seen him play multiple times, he is a bona fide musician, I was sorry to see that he disbanded "Ernie and the Automatics" after the birth of his youngest child.

Also EBJ is a supporter of music, by way of his "Music Drives Us" foundation.

Not having head the song I can't comment on it, but I assume SNE (Suburu of New England) is trying to get the attention of younger buyers. What sounds like crap to me sounds great to someone who is 25

Subaru is a very good car but this commercial doesn't represent the well.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, I am not a fan of the brand (remember folks in real life I am no longer in radio, I am a car geek and work as a licensed damage appraiser for 6 different insurance companies, I see those cars all the time... mostly rusted out.) I'm sure the folks down in Norwood at SNE have a good idea what they are up to, they have been pretty good at their local marketing for the last 30++ years. SNE is the bread and butter of the Bock Empire, the 2 remaining car dealerships are minor players in the whole empire. If you want to see the ad campaign that should be running more often: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjl2R_XZ4bo

Last edited:

"All About Love" by Blind Lemon Cucumber. Dumb name for a band, maybe all the good names have been taken. OK song (at least what I've heard of it).

There's an ad on Portland tv for some Maine Suburu dealer that's beyond lame...something to do with Maine state bird, tree, etc. That having been said, car ads have to be among the most annoying/obnoxious ones out there.

I can't say I've heard it, I am at the Southern Command Post this week.

OK, I have met EBJ a few times, I have several friends in the radio business who have spent time with him, including one person who voiced the Suburu commercials for a long time, I can say without reservation nobody has a bad thing to say about him. He is very down to earth, and is a serious musician himself.

He used to co-host some segment on WODS when Dale Dorman was still doing mornings. He sounded like a regular guy, not all huffy and puffy like in his ads. I'm sure his ad personna works, though I can't imagine why.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, I am not a fan of the brand (remember folks in real life I am no longer in radio, I am a car geek and work as a licensed damage appraiser for 6 different insurance companies, I see those cars all the time... mostly rusted out.)

I've never quite figured out the whole Suburu "thing" either. Must go back to the days when they were pretty much the only game in town if you wanted an all wheel drive vehicle that wasn't a full size truck or SUV. Agree they're rustbuckets, though not as bad as they were in the past. Gotta admire their customers' loyalty...not many brands have that anymore.

Ahhh I have heard the song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUeQMcHOsUU

I see by the label on the video they are on the "Open E" label, that is EBJ's own record label that he released his own stuff on. it was recorded in 2012 so something is up here, I suspect it is a EBJ band

As for the song, it is doing exactly what I thought it would, going for a much younger socially different demographic than Suburu normally goes after. I don't have a problem with the song or the ad campaign

Note EBJ is on the 6 string in the video, and it looks like Sib Hashian on the drums

Last edited:
Bad Media Buy if they want a young Demo: The Subaru ads run during the local news that most in the young demo don't watch.
Ahhh I have heard the song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUeQMcHOsUU

I see by the label on the video they are on the "Open E" label, that is EBJ's own record label that he released his own stuff on. it was recorded in 2012 so something is up here, I suspect it is a EBJ band

As for the song, it is doing exactly what I thought it would, going for a much younger socially different demographic than Suburu normally goes after. I don't have a problem with the song or the ad campaign

Note EBJ is on the 6 string in the video, and it looks like Sib Hashian on the drums

If you want to complain about commercial music, the incessant "So Good" ads during Sox games for whatever the frickin' hell they're advertising and the Surface Pro 3 ad noises (I hesitate to use the term "music") make me want to destroy the TV.

There is a simple solution to all of this...

You could just change the channel every time it comes on...

For the record, I like the song, the ad and Blind Lemon Cucumber.

And Ernie Boch, Jr is a class act from what I've heard. I know Dale Boch. But I didn't know that EBJ was a Berklee glad!

I am sure Ernie Boch, Jr is a great guy but the music he fronted in the Subaru commercial sucks. The other commercials you mentioned are equally offensive but they don't run as frequently as the Subaru spots. As posted above the WBZ Radio Sounders are even worse than the Subaru music.
You could just change the channel every time it comes on...

For the record, I like the song, the ad and Blind Lemon Cucumber.

And Ernie Boch, Jr is a class act from what I've heard. I know Dale Boch. But I didn't know that EBJ was a Berklee glad!

Ernie doesn't really "do" his commercials anymore ever since he picked up the grungy look. Once his dad died, he followed in dad's footsteps with the whole "Come on down" thing. Now, he might voice the commercials but his "appearance" is a cartoon. Probably just as well. Otherwise, he'd probably scare off potential customers who aren't aware of his history.

I remember when Ernie and the Automatics were releasing their first CD, I seem to recall one of the local stations (sorry to say I don't recall who) basically threw their AM signal to EBJ to program to his liking, along with debuting the EatA disc. Does anyone remember what station it was?

i remember when ernie and the automatics were releasing their first cd, i seem to recall one of the local stations (sorry to say i don't recall who) basically threw their am signal to ebj to program to his liking, along with debuting the eata disc. Does anyone remember what station it was?

am 1430? Wxks?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom