• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two more Houston LPFMs granted

Mediafrog+

Walk of Fame Participant
Templo de Dios has been granted 94.9, 100 watts at 30 meters. Transmitter located near the intersection of N. Shepherd and Martin in north Houston.

Also, Garden Villas Community Association has been granted 99.7, 100 watts at 12 meters. Transmitter near the intersection of Mykawa and Airport in south Houston. The group already operates an internet station branded as KKGV (which is an available call.) Logo on the website also indicates a Part 15 station on 1610 (does this really exist?) Website http://kkgv.org/index.html

Still a lot of parts in motion during the three month window for final revisions and frequency changes for LPFM applicants in Texas. Appears the greater Houston area will wind up with new stations on 92.5, 94.1, 94.9, 95.1, 95.3, 96.1, 99.5, 99.7, 99.9, 101.5, 101.7, 102.5, 103.3, 104.5, 105.3, 106.1, and 106.3. Some of those frequencies will have multiple stations, either through time shares, or being located far enough from each other to operate full time.

94.9 will have a hard time getting much range with 95.1 running in Mo City with antenna at good height

99.7 only gets antenna about 38ft high LOL dam that is really to low for 100w dam that cut there range they could be getting by like 60% now if the were at 80ft to 90ft high antenna this station would get decent range

Just a question on LPFM and translators - will any of them ever broadcast HD?

94-9 at North Shepherd and Martin?? So, what, the antenna is going to be erected on the top of B&W meat mkt. or across the street on top of Ralston Liquor? I know that area well and there isn't a Templo of any kind that I'm aware. 100w at 30m sounds like about 3 miles of coverage and with K236AR as their neighbor, I suspect El Templo will be none too pleased when they're finished building it out.

Nothing to stop them, other than astronomical expenses and licensing fees to Ibiquity

I doubt it. Coverage is very important to LPFM, and HD is very bad for coverage. Some LPFM like Cypress radio have even shut down stereo to try to get some extra range - although they leave RDS on which would seem to completely defeat the purpose.

I also don't think that the large commercial stations that run HD would want a LPFM located on a second adjacent to run HD. The LPFM HD sidebands would overlay the HD sidebands of the commercial station, jamming its HD signal.

The coverage of HD on an LPFM would be measured in blocks, not in miles.
The cost would far exceed any possible benefits.

Royalty fees on HD is more than what a LP wants to pay out...A lot of LPs eventually go off the air due to lack of funds already..

94-9 at North Shepherd and Martin?? So, what, the antenna is going to be erected on the top of B&W meat mkt. or across the street on top of Ralston Liquor? I know that area well and there isn't a Templo of any kind that I'm aware. 100w at 30m sounds like about 3 miles of coverage and with K236AR as their neighbor, I suspect El Templo will be none too pleased when they're finished building it out.

I bet it's the freestanding tower (more like a pole) at the "North Shepherd Maintenance Facility" that could support this. Look up 4719 N. Shepherd 77018 on Google Maps and you'll see it. I live 2 blocks away and wondered what that tower was used for...

Is it a coincidence this location is the Harris County Information Technology Center, Radio Services? http://www.harriscountytx.gov/itc/trsradio/contactus.aspx

Too bad it isn't anything I would be interested in. I wish KCYB could find a way into Houston via another signal.

Last edited:
KCYB is on the best frequency it could find in its area....the former 101.7 had a bad co channel with Bay City due to regular tropo......100w ERP at 100 ft really does not cover that much anyway...KORG-LP in Cleveland, TX is a good example of a LPFM with "normal" range...(they have filed to move off 105.3 due to Winnie's KXXF upgrade and likely due to KTWL's proposed move to the east though the coverage on KTWL will be less...to 95.3 but no change in range).

If HD was more popular on FM and a HD2 or 3 was available, leasing one would be probably better than running the LP...for one thing, they could sell commercials...two, they would have much farther range..and the signal owner would be making money....(Hey CBS, think about that....KLOL-HDx would be 101 KLOL Houston again; talk about a way to really promote HD and make extra money)

LPs were never meant to cover like a "full service" FM...though some Class As have less HAAT and ERP than a lot of LPs..

Last edited:
KCYB is on the best frequency it could find in its area....the former 101.7 had a bad co channel with Bay City due to regular tropo......100w ERP at 100 ft really does not cover that much anyway...KORG-LP in Cleveland, TX is a good example of a LPFM with "normal" range...(they have filed to move off 105.3 due to Winnie's KXXF upgrade and likely due to KTWL's proposed move to the east though the coverage on KTWL will be less...to 95.3 but no change in range).

If HD was more popular on FM and a HD2 or 3 was available, leasing one would be probably better than running the LP...for one thing, they could sell commercials...two, they would have much farther range..and the signal owner would be making money....(Hey CBS, think about that....KLOL-HDx would be 101 KLOL Houston again; talk about a way to really promote HD and make extra money)

LPs were never meant to cover like a "full service" FM...though some Class As have less HAAT and ERP than a lot of LPs..

CW, I appreciate your contributions & knowledge.

For a city like Houston, it would be pretty hard for most LPFMs to survive since the average person's commute is further than the coverage of the LPFM (the 1800' ones are the exception) and the listener would have to change stations and (maybe) come back to it later when they return to the coverage area.

It seems LPFMs make sense in rural communities where the entire community is covered with a usable signal (ex: places like Brookshire, Hempstead, Sealy, Cleveland, etc.) I'm from a rural town in South Louisiana with a population of 10,000 and it is about 6 miles from one city limit sign to the other and would love to see a LPFM or 2 pop up to provide some additional local listening options.

100w at 30m sounds like about 3 miles of coverage and with K236AR as their neighbor, I suspect El Templo will be none too pleased when they're finished building it out.

You're overestimating the signal of K236AR. Keep in mind that it is only a measly 99 watt transmitter that gets decent coverage due to antenna height, not a 100kw blowtorch. The signal is just not that strong. The co-channel and first adjacent LPFM's in the northern part of the market will easily elbow K236AR aside.

My Cy-Fair location is around 24 miles from the Missouri City sticks. A majority of the time I get a decent signal from K236AR, but if tropo starts to kick up, it is easily overwhelmed by either KYKR or KNDE (sometimes both.) When co-channel KTTF Tomball and KLJJ Spring start their time share, I expect both will dominate the frequency here over the Missouri City signal.

100 watts at 30 meters should put a good signal out for about five miles, and perhaps as much as seven to ten miles with a good receiver before reception becomes too erratic for most listeners. I can get KCYB 14 miles away from the transmitter, but yes, the signal is very choppy. And in a dead spot for KCYB in my driveway, I can get a poor signal from co-channel KYBY which is 23 miles away.

Not an overestimation at all, Frog. As I'm sure StevenNOLA can attest to, that part of town has a very good reception of K236AR. I have a rental off of Parker, and the translator is all that exists on 95-1 anymore. Used to always get KYKR mostly, as is the case at my home just north of the 8/45 North intersection. Martin is another mile or two south of Parker, putting it even closer to the translator's reach. Up here by the Belt, it gets overtaken you are right, but that's not the case where the 94-9 signal will be originating.

StevenNOLA, I know the building well. Used to be an HPD substation, and that would seem logical. It's been years since I've lived down there, but isn't that Delz that is closest to the Maintenance building? It's certainly not Martin.

There is also a small tower just east of Shepherd on Stuebner Airline that I would think could be put to use for an LPFM at some point down the road. May be owned by Yale Hospital though, I'm not sure.

I have to agree, LPFM is best suited for smaller towns. In a few instances, stations popped up in towns that were overlooked by the local station in the county seat, for example. The LPFM put the local school on the air with live sports and generally filled the shoes of the local weekly newspaper but on a daily basis. In many respects, the LPFM can unite and involve the community in common causes that allow for growth and increased quality of life assuming the group does not want to do just a niche format. Done right, a LPFM can breathe new life in to a rural community all because there is a common gathering place to communicate with neighbors.

You're overestimating the signal of K236AR. Keep in mind that it is only a measly 99 watt transmitter that gets decent coverage due to antenna height, not a 100kw blowtorch. The signal is just not that strong. The co-channel and first adjacent LPFM's in the northern part of the market will easily elbow K236AR aside.

My Cy-Fair location is around 24 miles from the Missouri City sticks. A majority of the time I get a decent signal from K236AR, but if tropo starts to kick up, it is easily overwhelmed by either KYKR or KNDE (sometimes both.) When co-channel KTTF Tomball and KLJJ Spring start their time share, I expect both will dominate the frequency here over the Missouri City signal.

100 watts at 30 meters should put a good signal out for about five miles, and perhaps as much as seven to ten miles with a good receiver before reception becomes too erratic for most listeners. I can get KCYB 14 miles away from the transmitter, but yes, the signal is very choppy. And in a dead spot for KCYB in my driveway, I can get a poor signal from co-channel KYBY which is 23 miles away.

In my area (N. Shepherd @ 43rd/Crosstimbers), 95.1 is a pretty reliable K236AR in the car but the signal isn't enough to penetrate my house and cannot be received on my home stereo on the 2nd floor of my house. This morning, I checked 95.1 on my way to work and at 610 North Loop and 45 North Freeway, it was about 80% KNDE even though I could see the "farm" from the top of the overpasses. The height of K236AR scatters the signal nicely, but there is no density due to the low wattage. They're just lucky to have good coverage on days when the atmospheric conditions are stable.

In my area (N. Shepherd @ 43rd/Crosstimbers), 95.1 is a pretty reliable K236AR in the car but the signal isn't enough to penetrate my house and cannot be received on my home stereo on the 2nd floor of my house. This morning, I checked 95.1 on my way to work and at 610 North Loop and 45 North Freeway, it was about 80% KNDE even though I could see the "farm" from the top of the overpasses. The height of K236AR scatters the signal nicely, but there is no density due to the low wattage. They're just lucky to have good coverage on days when the atmospheric conditions are stable.

I would much prefer KNDE to K236AR. These new translators that are coming on the air are, for the most part, not something I would ever care to listen to.

I have to agree, LPFM is best suited for smaller towns. In a few instances, stations popped up in towns that were overlooked by the local station in the county seat, for example. The LPFM put the local school on the air with live sports and generally filled the shoes of the local weekly newspaper but on a daily basis. In many respects, the LPFM can unite and involve the community in common causes that allow for growth and increased quality of life assuming the group does not want to do just a niche format. Done right, a LPFM can breathe new life in to a rural community all because there is a common gathering place to communicate with neighbors.

A Class C or D AM station could do all that as well....AND sell ads, etc....but the owners cannot see beyond their own noses...A LPFM cannot sell ads for sports shows...(well, they can "underwrite it" but its not the same)...Of course a LPFM at 100ft and 100w ERP would be close to a 1kw Class C AM night coverage in most areas since ground conductivity does not affect FM and the AM needs a large ground radial system, so its somewhat a trade off....BUT during non sports shows, the AM can sell ads, etc...and be a real radio station, whereas the LPFMs cannot.....

I WISH the Commission had made LPFMs only available to markets below 50 or 100 only (where getting a full 100w at 33 meters would be possible..or could have allowed 100 meters), made it MANDATORY that the owners be local (and not some religious group clear across the country) and NOT a current broadcast owner already (that would keep all the big guns out of the party and also all the religious folks and limit the # of LPFMs owned by one person/company to certain number or just ONE) and allowed LPFMs to sell ads. THAT would have served the public interest much better than the current arrangement IMPO.....

A Class C or D AM station could do all that as well....AND sell ads, etc....but the owners cannot see beyond their own noses...A LPFM cannot sell ads for sports shows...(well, they can "underwrite it" but its not the same)...Of course a LPFM at 100ft and 100w ERP would be close to a 1kw Class C AM night coverage in most areas since ground conductivity does not affect FM and the AM needs a large ground radial system, so its somewhat a trade off....BUT during non sports shows, the AM can sell ads, etc...and be a real radio station, whereas the LPFMs cannot.....

I WISH the Commission had made LPFMs only available to markets below 50 or 100 only (where getting a full 100w at 33 meters would be possible..or could have allowed 100 meters), made it MANDATORY that the owners be local (and not some religious group clear across the country) and NOT a current broadcast owner already (that would keep all the big guns out of the party and also all the religious folks and limit the # of LPFMs owned by one person/company to certain number or just ONE) and allowed LPFMs to sell ads. THAT would have served the public interest much better than the current arrangement IMPO.....

Of course every religious group would argue that they are broadcasting in the public interest. So you get KSBJ five places on the dial like I do, now it sounds like the Spanish language Christian folks are going to have even more spots on the dial between AM and FM. A bit redundant if you ask me. One should be sufficient, let somebody else have a voice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom