• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two more Houston LPFMs granted

Of course every religious group would argue that they are broadcasting in the public interest. So you get KSBJ five places on the dial like I do, now it sounds like the Spanish language Christian folks are going to have even more spots on the dial between AM and FM. A bit redundant if you ask me. One should be sufficient, let somebody else have a voice!

Think KSBJ is bad, look at KHCB....in the BPT area, they have two translators alone (and look at their other stations..they are trying to be a new Air1)...Beaumont on 104.9 and "Vidor" (actually in Port Neches) on 106.7...same tower as the 94.7 translator that caries KRLR out of Lake Charles...(and then you have 98.1 and 98.9 carrying AFR or AFA...I never can keep them straight....)......

I agree with the ownership limits...they need to be rolled back...THAT has NOT served the public interest but we wont see that happen in our lifetime..how many people are out of work now?? How much diverse programming do we see (NONE!)?? At night you can tune the band and note the number of stations carrying the same programming....during the day, KTRH and KLVI are doing the same thing....only thing KLVI has is Al Caldwell in the morning drive.....and Al will probably die at the microphone.....he'll never retire....(that according to Jack Pieper!).....BUT other than Al...............oh well......

Think KSBJ is bad, look at KHCB....in the BPT area, they have two translators alone (and look at their other stations..they are trying to be a new Air1)...Beaumont on 104.9 and "Vidor" (actually in Port Neches) on 106.7...same tower as the 94.7 translator that caries KRLR out of Lake Charles...(and then you have 98.1 and 98.9 carrying AFR or AFA...I never can keep them straight....)......

I agree with the ownership limits...they need to be rolled back...THAT has NOT served the public interest but we wont see that happen in our lifetime..how many people are out of work now?? How much diverse programming do we see (NONE!)?? At night you can tune the band and note the number of stations carrying the same programming....during the day, KTRH and KLVI are doing the same thing....only thing KLVI has is Al Caldwell in the morning drive.....and Al will probably die at the microphone.....he'll never retire....(that according to Jack Pieper!).....BUT other than Al...............oh well......

KHCB trying to be the new Air1? That had me ROTFL! KHCB is so anti-CCM they will never attract the same audience as Air1! I had some respect for them until they had an uninformed hater of CCM on the air one day about 30 years ago. Off my presets after that. I am actually serious about Christian radio reaching teenagers and young professionals. Most Christian stations don't have a clue how to reach the lucrative pool of young professional donors. KSBJ finally "gets it" by putting NGEN on the air. Too bad it is on poor signals, and isn't heard in the affluent West, North and Northwest parts of the area. Air1 really isn't, either.

I agree with the ownership limits...they need to be rolled back...THAT has NOT served the public interest but we wont see that happen in our lifetime..how many people are out of work now?? How much diverse programming do we see (NONE!)?? At night you can tune the band and note the number of stations carrying the same programming

If we were still operating with 7-7-7, it would be exactly the same thing. You can't regulate profit-making companies to lose money. Stations started hiring outside engineers to replace in-house chiefs in the early 80s. They dropped news in the early 80s. They started carrying syndication in the 70s. Stations were running automation in the 60s. And there are more formats and more format diversity now than 25 years ago.

I have to agree with TheBigA on this one. I think there are more format options these days maybe because there are more stations. There are few stations I personally like now but I am rolling out of the choice demographics now.

Automation in the 1960s and then satellite delivered formats in the 1980s and the computer have created great changes in radio over the years.

Radio is pressed to make itself attractive to advertisers. There are more stations and more media options than ever before, all trying for their share. Radio had to trim budgets to survive in many cases. I recall the days at a border top 40. It was a cash cow at the time but the Mexican economy tanked and media expanded. We had been one of two stations in town then. When I went back there, there was the cable system, 2 newspapers, a broadcast TV station and 3 new radio stations to deal with in town not to mention double the TV and radio stations across the border. In addition, I had stations as far as 150 miles in to Mexico calling on the same merchants selling spots for pennies (the lowest I saw was 100 spots for $15). Literally our spot rate had decreased, billing was easily a third what it had been and we had to fight hard to get every sale. Simply put, the market had changed drastically in less than 10 years although the station was still the top station in town. You can bet our operation was bare bones. Local news had been dropped well before I got there and many of the desks that had housed staff were vacant. It was really quite sad. I recall a conversation with a furniture store owner: You want me to pay $3.60 a spot to reach the community but I can buy 50 cent spots across the border on stations in several larger communities that attract the wealthy in Mexico who will spend many times the money locals spend when they come to my store. What would you do? What could I say, I understood and indeed the wealthier population did make frequent visits and they did spend a wad of cash when they did. I saw my client budgets split among several choices instead of one or two as in previous years. I think for many stations in limited markets, they saw their share of the pie doled out to all these new options available. That $500 a month might now be half that or less. The pressure is on to add exceptional value and to program to attract as many listeners as possible to attract those ad dollars. Something had to give and it was the operation budget. I usually worked easily 75 to 80 hours a week seeing clients, building proposals and such trying to get the billing to make breakeven of $16,000 a month. I always did but never topped $18,000. Ten years prior $45,000 a month was realistic and regularly reached. I wasn't alone. 45 miles away was a station that once did about $10,000 a month in their town of 5,000. They were down to about $3,500 a month thanks to a second newspaper, a cable TV representative and a new station coming on in town and another in a town 10 miles away. They went satellite delivered country and survived with a staff of 1 and the owner after decades of simply splitting ad dollars with the local paper. I fought going satellite while I was there. The station I had managed upgraded to 50,000 watts and now has sales offices in nearby towns to get the income they need for their computer in a closet. If they were live and local they'd go under.

Last edited:
I like stations which play good music and do it for the fun of it. Those are few and far between though.

KHCB trying to be the new Air1? That had me ROTFL! KHCB is so anti-CCM they will never attract the same audience as Air1! I had some respect for them until they had an uninformed hater of CCM on the air one day about 30 years ago. Off my presets after that. I am actually serious about Christian radio reaching teenagers and young professionals. Most Christian stations don't have a clue how to reach the lucrative pool of young professional donors. KSBJ finally "gets it" by putting NGEN on the air. Too bad it is on poor signals, and isn't heard in the affluent West, North and Northwest parts of the area. Air1 really isn't, either.

I mean it in the way they gobble frequencies, not the programming....guess I should have clarified that....True, KHCBs programming is nothing like Air 1s...but they sure like to get frequencies where they can....I remember they originally had given up on the idea of the 104.9 translator in Beaumont..it was to go on the old Western Union building downtown..and they determined they could not pick up 105.7 from there reliably....Was surprised when the 104.9 signal on the Silverdale tower showed up (and then one night, it was repeating a Lufkin country station on 105.7...now THAT was interesting!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom