• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Yankees announcer John Sterling a victim of Avalon complex fire

People with more money then brains. Avalon's reputation will be ruined for years to come and that's a good thing. Cheap shoddy work illegal workers and sky high rents......I'll bet very few had renters insurance and documentation to cover all their losses

Oh wait he's a sports announcer, probably no clue about the housing bubble and how many buildings were constructed within code so everyone can pass the buck when it goes up in flames.

No cheapshot just reality......if his stuff is so valuable why did he choose to rent in a firetrap? people in those place buy Ikea use once then toss out.

Sorry the internet is a wonder tool, there is no way i would pay that kind of money unless i was desperate for a place to live and my job was walking distance.

There is both tragedy and disgrace in that fire story. WCBS-a talked with Sterling the day after he "lost everything" and he was looking for some clothes to replace the ones he was wearing and a place to stay. I doubt either will be a lonterm problem, but is the whole situation left me wondering how someone with a trove of memorabilia could accept such a tackily constructed residence. The answer of course is: marketing.

On my weekend trip to flea market over in NJ I frequently passed developments like that one being built during the 1990s. When they were in the rough-in stage they look just like those Asian toy stick houses kids used to glue together. Ok, I guess for a single family home, but appalling for 4-6 story multi-unit. Whenever I'd see one of those going up, I realized I was not in NYC anymore. I was in the land of developers, landlords and republicans. Caveat emptor.

In the aftermath of the NJ fire, the major news outlets all did articles on how quickly the newer constructed wooden buildings collapse as compared to old, more solid construction.

Here is an interesting site dealing with this topic:
http://www.firesprinklerinitiative....odern-building-materials-and-furnishings.aspx

Thirty-three years of Reagan laissez-faire has led to this junk construction being "legal".

LCG

WCBS-a talked with Sterling the day after he "lost everything" and he was looking for ... a place to stay.

Did he crash as Suzyn's?

Seriously, here's praying John lands on his feet. This is worse than what the Bombers did to Mel Allen 50 years ago.

ixnay

P.S. When I saw the thread title, I thought Sterling had a getaway place in Avalon, NJ which is in extreme South Jersey, just above Wildwood. Seriously.

John Sterling will be hosting a benefit event to help victims of the Edgewater Avalon fire.
It will take place at D + D's Bar + Restaurant in New City, NY (Rockland County)
on Thursday, February 26, 2015 from 6:30 - 8:30 PM.

Article link with more info on event:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/02...enefit-for-those-displaced-by-edgewater-fire/

Sterling will also join Joe Benigno as a co-host on WFAN's midday show on Monday, February 21, 2015 from 10 AM - 1 PM
(Evan Roberts will be on vacation).

Ill bet 90% couldn't afford renters insurance after the sky high rent........sorry but places like that you furnish it with Ikea So if it burns no great loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom