• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Franklin Passes Away At 88

Just saw this. I never worked with Joe, but I knew people who did. They told me he lived up to the legend that he became. I was told he had an office that overlooked Times Square back when that was not a nice neighborhood. His office was cluttered and filled with incredible memorabilia from his many years in show business. A lot of people can cite Joe as inspiration. I'm sure Larry King will weigh in at some point. Perhaps both were on WOR around the same time, although emanating from different cities.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/25/us/joe-franklin-obit/index.html

One of their reporters (I think Charlie Pellett) did a series of interviews with Joe over the past few years, and that's mostly what they've been running. Good stuff.

In one segment Franklin recounted that back in the days of cigarette advertising he read the line, "Nine out of ten doctors prefer Camels," and then ad-libbed, "... until they went back to women." He was suspended for two weeks!

RIP to a New York legend. If you watched (W)WOR-9 in the 70s/80s, even out of the market, you knew who Joe Franklin was. He ran a talk show that lasted 31 years on channel 9!

-crainbebo

I remember the old Uncle Floyd show doing a parody of Joe Franklin. It was Joe Frankfurter with those great sponsors like Reeeeeed Flobster. I'm guessing the current people at WOR radio & WWOR TV weren't around back then and/or just don't care, but the WOR radio website has an small article on Joes passing and channel 9's website just ran a generic AP article. IMHO they both could have done better.

In the early 1980s on Saturday Night Live, BillyCrystaldidseveralparodiesofJoeFranklin, matching Franklin's rapid-fire speech and coming close to looking like him too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom