• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYW Newsradio 1060 would be a better station if.........

J

Jul

They starting airing the CBS News top of the hour newscasts 24/7, air 60 Minutes on Sunday nights and completely change the broadcast schedule so that the many segments like Traffic, sports, weather, can air exactly on time. The station as it is right now, is outdated, flawed and stale in all aspect. KYW needs to change with the times, like the other all news stations are doing.

Honest question: how would airing network news updates every hour, or 60 Minutes audio of all things, make a station sound less dated and stale?

Another honest question: is there any significant number of people outside of the insular community her that cares if traffic occasionally starts at 3:13 instead of 3:12?

Julius.... please....

They starting airing the CBS News top of the hour newscasts 24/7, air 60 Minutes on Sunday nights and completely change the broadcast schedule so that the many segments like Traffic, sports, weather, can air exactly on time. The station as it is right now, is outdated, flawed and stale in all aspect. KYW needs to change with the times, like the other all news stations are doing.

You have posted this idea so many times on this board... either in threads already about 1060, or, like this, by starting your own.

Your thoughts are well known. But posting them like this to a radio messageboard that NO program director or radio exec is going to use to base changes to their station does absolutely nothing but aggrivate other posters.

Others haev repeatedly explained to you why KYW probably won't do that. Yet you keep posting the same question and idea.

Please. I am asking as politely as I can... stop.

It seems that major market stations tend to not use network programming, but would have their anchor lead the story with sound from the network feed, thus providing the national stories without airing the network show totally.

The station you'd like might be Wilmington's 1150 WDEL. They are a CBS Radio affiliate. They air CBS Radio News on the hour, the CBS update on the half hour when a breaking story is happening. They air CBS Face the Nation and CBS Radio's World News Roundup [an hour news magazine heard once a week]. They also have these shows plus 60 minutes on podcasts at

http://www.wdel.com/podcast.php?podID=afternoon#listing

WDEL also airs weeknights at 6:30pm, the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley.

They have a listen live button so even though you may not be able to pick up WDEL where you live in Philly [my guess is their signal only penetrates the South Philly area].

The listen live button is on: http://www.wdel.com/

Just remember, WDEL is not ONLY News like KYW, they are a news/talk station, but different from WPHT. Weekdays WDEL airs an AM drive news block, then live and local talk [a left leaning host], a noon hour news block with interviews, then a conservative host in the afternoon, then a PM drive news block. WDEL airs the Phils, Eagles, and many Westwood One Radio sportscasts [in the evening and weekends], plus some local college and even high school sports [again in the evenings and weekends]. When evening sportscasts don't preempt they air non-political talk from the satellite. You might enjoy those non-political talk shows.

You so often complain about WPHT, maybe what WDEL does as a News Talk station would better fit what you're looking for.
So you could listen to all their programming, minus Phils, Eagles, and Westwood One Sportcasts online. Then you could report back to all of us if the WDEL version of a News Talk station better fits what you believe 1210 WPHT should become. Good luck.

I'm joining in the chorus as well. Julius, STOP! This infantile whining over KYW and WPHT is much like Sisyphus trying to roll the stone.

WDEL also airs weeknights at 6:30pm, the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley.

WBZ-AM 1030 in Boston airs the CBS Evening News twice every weeknight at 6:30 and 7:30. And they air 60 minutes on Sunday evenings. :(

As a Newsradio listener, I wish they would stay local. I've never understood simulcasting TV on radio.

So Julius, I'll trade you WBZ for KYW. :)

WBZ-AM 1030 in Boston airs the CBS Evening News twice every weeknight at 6:30 and 7:30. And they air 60 minutes on Sunday evenings. :(

As a Newsradio listener, I wish they would stay local. I've never understood simulcasting TV on radio.

So Julius, I'll trade you WBZ for KYW. :)

My guess as to why both WDEL and WBZ air the CBS evening news is that many folks are still on the road, not home from work and miss the TV newscast. I remember prior to TV going digital, you could listen to WPVI channel 6's local and ABC news on FM, plus any of their other TV shows. Apparently I wasn't the only person who did that if out in the car and missing a channel 6 program. So WDEL and WBZ airing the CBS TV newscast offers listeners the opportunity to not miss the CBS Evening News. Also that would be an example of cross marketing, using radio to promote your TV programming.

Why air 60 minutes on radio when most will watch it on TV? I wish KYW would go more in depth with their news stories. Sometimes I hear them do some headlines but never hear the stories. ?? Then the weather makes me angry when they sensationalize it with OMG the temp is 38 or whatever and OMG it might rain...LOOK out an inch of snow might dust our streets. BE CAREFULL... This city clears the streets fine compared to rural areas. KYW hypes the weather too much.. I miss 106.9 IQ whatever it was.. They were normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom