• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Spike and Joe show?

bobdavcav

Star Participant
From Spike's Facebook about an hour ago,
"Yeah... guess play times over. Hop on over to the Spike and Joe show's new page. Give us a like and grab a seat on the bus. It's gonna be a long, strange trip and we'd love to have you along." Any guesses on what station?

Here's some for ya:
John Fisher's replacement at Warm.
Jack changes format and they do mornings.
They replace Curley and Tangney at KIRO.

Next?

My guess is podcast. iHeart's non-compete would include them doing anything on their own even if it is just online (i.e. podcast), so they would be free and clear as of Feb 9th.

Look at the registered owner of www.spikeandjoe.com. It was registered last Friday by Joe. If you're starting a new morning show on a major station, MOST of the time you wouldn't register your own domain on GoDaddy.

And by process of elimination it's hard to find a station they would go to. Probably not iHeart since they've been talking crap about the group on their Facebook page. No station at Entercom or Hubbard need an older, male leaning morning show.

If it's not a podcast, maybe it's a daytime show on KFNQ? Spike has sounded good filling in on KJR, so maybe they go the sports route.

My money is on podcast though.

Just occurred to me, new morning show on KRWM?

Don't think they would ever appear on KRWM without a format change. (Hubbard makes money with the current format, why would they blow it up?). Spike and Joe have never been women centric personalities. I can see Hubbard making an offer to them with a format change on 98.9. Guy Rock-Talk 98.9...oh wait, we already have that on KISW.

From Spike's Facebook about an hour ago,
"Yeah... guess play times over. Hop on over to the Spike and Joe show's new page. Give us a like and grab a seat on the bus. It's gonna be a long, strange trip and we'd love to have you along." Any guesses on what station?

I saw Spike recently at a Chinese restaurant in Edmonds...should've asked him about his plans, but I was preoccupied. Damn.

Here is my guess.......either 950 KJR or ESPN 710.

My money is down!

Here is my guess.......either 950 KJR or ESPN 710.

My money is down!

You could be right...we will see. (I do wonder when someone will put a sports format on FM in market 13. I thought that Bonneville would've made an offer for KMCQ and simulcasted 710 ESPN Seattle on 104.5MHz.)

710 ESPN would never work on the KMCQ signal, you go from a 50KW AM that can be heard in all of western Washington and parts of eastern Washington to a signal on FM, 7.1KW. You would easily lose half of that audience because they can't get KMCQ. The regional reach of the 50KW signal is part of what is making the sports format work on 710 ESPN.

Compare the KIRO FM, 97.3, 52KW signal to the KMCQ 7.1 KW signal. The KIRO FM signal has more coverage than KMCQ, that's why the original talk format from KIRO am was able to migrate to the 97.3 KIRO FM signal and worked. KIRO FM covers Olympia to almost Mt Vernon, KMCQ covers Lakewood to almost North Marysville. KMCQ (class c2) does not cover all of Market 13, like KIRO 97.3 (class c) does.

KGA in Spokane is also running the 710 ESPN programming from 7am to 4pm Monday-Friday. Between the two signals of KIRO 710 and KGA 1510 you can hear that block of programming almost any where in the state on two stations. You could never do that with KMCQ and KGA.

So if Spike and Joe go to 710 ESPN you would think it would be after 6pm? Being that Bonneville is already syndicating 7am to 4pm to KGA.

710 ESPN would never work on the KMCQ signal, you go from a 50KW AM that can be heard in all of western Washington and parts of eastern Washington to a signal on FM, 7.1KW. You would easily lose half of that audience because they can't get KMCQ. The regional reach of the 50KW signal is part of what is making the sports format work on 710 ESPN.

Compare the KIRO FM, 97.3, 52KW signal to the KMCQ 7.1 KW signal. The KIRO FM signal has more coverage than KMCQ, that's why the original talk format from KIRO am was able to migrate to the 97.3 KIRO FM signal and worked. KIRO FM covers Olympia to almost Mt Vernon, KMCQ covers Lakewood to almost North Marysville. KMCQ (class c2) does not cover all of Market 13, like KIRO 97.3 (class c) does.

KGA in Spokane is also running the 710 ESPN programming from 7am to 4pm Monday-Friday. Between the two signals of KIRO 710 and KGA 1510 you can hear that block of programming almost any where in the state on two stations. You could never do that with KMCQ and KGA.

So if Spike and Joe go to 710 ESPN you would think it would be after 6pm? Being that Bonneville is already syndicating 7am to 4pm to KGA.

KMCQ sounds excellent for a low wattage and modest HAAT. The signal quality does not sound any lesser than any of the other Cougar signals (provided you are not too far out). 104.5 would surely compliment KIRO nicely as a simulcast, but its not really necessary. In a time where bandwidth is hard to come by, i'd be perfectly content to have my programming on a flamethrower like 710 compared to the other options. The same goes for KOMO; i'm sure they would like to have an FM that can be heard throughout the entire region, but 1000 is not that bad of a place to be.

Last edited:

Your point is well made, but I was talking about a simulcast of 710 and 104.5. FM is where most of radio's listeners hang out and having an FM signal should raise the rating in key demos. KJR 950 tried this on a rim shot class C from Capitol Peak, and the only reason it didn't work in my opinion, was due to low signal penetration in the market core. I live north of Seattle, and could only receive 102.9 in the car. At home...forget about it.

I also call hoe norh of town and had o problems with getting 102.9 except for the few times when I was able to scan from school, when I couldn't get any of the Bellingham stick eiher.

I also call hoe norh of town and had o problems with getting 102.9 except for the few times when I was able to scan from school, when I couldn't get any of the Bellingham stick eiher.

I seem to recall that 102.9 sounded pretty north of Seattle. 70kw at 668 metres is certainly not bad. Its too bad that KYCH is on 97.1 down in Portland, otherwise KYYO might have been able to get their equipment set up on Capitol or South.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom