• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

new format feb 2nd

B

bosco

So, listening to bubba today, he says he has " activated his contractual right of veto of the Beasley proposed format, which is "the old bone format, jurassic rock".....and he says its the wrong choice and "not gonna work".. therefore Bubba is putting together music blocks as " format tests to run starting next week

I love all the games. They all know what they're doing. Don't let him fool you. As for the on air presentation.... as a radio fan they've got me hooked. They're also doing a tremendous job of not letting the cat out of the bag. Industry insiders don't seem to have any real idea what direction they're going.

more...

Previously he had said if he pulls the trigger on the veto, and thereby installs his " own" format.......said format would have to be top 5 men 25-54 by april 1st, or the plug would be pulled

I think the tension between Bubba and Beasley over the format is a work. They have to know by now that no matter what they run, it's going to beat the Bone, in the short term at least. Hell, they almost beat the Bone with Christmas music. I think the plan all along has been to use a Jack type format as others have mentioned. I think the Jack format is long overdue for Tampa, people here have very diverse tastes, and one limited genre of music just gets old really fast. When they were stunting with random music, I stayed tuned in just to see what they would play next. I just hope they bring in another heavy hitter to do afternoons. Maybe they can get someone from the Bone to defect.

I'm not too sure about Jack on 98.7 this point, as Q105's playlist seems to be pretty close to the typical "Variety Hits" format as it is (especially with the recent addition of more 80's material).

It would have to really be different from Q105...some kind of "variety rock", perhaps, encompassing many styles/genres (not the typical "AC/DC-Zep-Def Leppard-Eagles-wash-rinse-repeat...." of Thunder, The Eagle). WBZA Rochester, NY comes to mind:

http://www.rochesterbuzz.com/

If Classic Rock is out...that probably means a hot talk format, Active Rock, or something in between. Given The Bone's severely weakened condition...hot talk may be the ticket, though it would probably include syndicated fare from other markets. Bubba has been talking about Rover (of WMMS Cleveland/syndicated "Rover's Morning Glory") a bit lately.....

I wouldn't expect to see a hot talk format for a couple of reasons. The first is the cost. The operating costs of a hot talk format are ridiculous, or at least they are if you want to win. The second is that, judging from the Bone's best performance (which was with Bubba), there's only a 4.5-5 share for the format. Granted, the 25-54 male audience is probably the vast majority of that and can get you money, but splitting that audience with 102.5 and the sports stations would seem to be a risky venture. 102.5 wouldn't have to do well to knock you down; it would just have to last.

Today, Bubba said he "developed" a new format and was talking about having people in place for noon-3 PM, 3-7 PM and 7 PM-midnight - hmmm, similar to Bone dayparts?

he also said

Bubba also said, in reply to a question from a listener ''what about another talk station " Bubba : "absolutely NOT....there isnt room for two" ....he turned that one down flat out

seems to be leaning to the ''jack'' thing as far as I can tell....there have been some subtle hints

well......the rock version of ''jack'' is ''everything that rocks'' (The Hog)

sample here :

http://1029thehog.com/

Bubba also said, in reply to a question from a listener ''what about another talk station " Bubba : "absolutely NOT....there isnt room for two" ....he turned that one down flat out

seems to be leaning to the ''jack'' thing as far as I can tell....there have been some subtle hints

well......the rock version of ''jack'' is ''everything that rocks'' (The Hog)

sample here :

http://1029thehog.com/

That particular playlist doesn't seem very "Jack like"...more of a classic-leaning Mainstream or "Jurassic Rocker." Not very much variety genre-wise, and probably not a good choice with WXTB, Thunder, and Eagle in the market. It's pretty much the old Bone's playlist. (See http://www.rochesterbuzz.com/ for something a bit more "Jack-like"). I could see real "variety rock" taking a bite out of Eagle, though.

Another hint: Bubba said the new format was about to destroy 2 of Cox's properties. The Bone is one.....that most likely leaves WSUN or The Eagle as the other (as I doubt Beasley is going to jump into the CHR fray, and The Dove and Magic are pretty safe).

I also doubt Alternative is in the cards..but ya never know....

today he confirmed

Gonna take the "BONE down 80 % and the EAGLE down 50 %"........with his new format. ..that was the quote

So hes gonna annouce format and airstaff at 9am monday.....not a talk format, he confirmed that.

Today's "format tests" ..."Arrow 98.7" (Eagle/Thunder clone) and "98.7 The Hog" (Mainstream Rock...somewhere between the old "Bone" and WXTB).

Two "listener favorites" mentioned by Bubba: "The Buzz" (Alternative) and Power Pig (Classic Hip Hop).

Last edited:
No Aldo Nova or Foghat, apparently (as Bubba answered a caller). Also confirmed all the "listener voting" and "format tests" were smoke and mirrors. (No kidding......)

Ego

Beasley is certainly playing to Bubba's ego. His ego is so big now it has its own zip code.

about new format on feb 2nd

Um call letter wbrn been required by a newstalk station in michigan

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom