• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Not true worship

Still going to play the music, before our supper. However, I'm going to play it near the fellowship hall. Want to continue to bless people, with my music collection.

Dan <><

Do not forget to secure the door and assets of your station. I had some incidents, and they were scary. They were perpetrated by opponents of Christian rock music, and by one Mormon. You need physical security, peepholes in door, alarm systems, and the police on speed dial. And that is NOT because you are doing anything outside of God's will. It is because you are in the public eye, and anybody in the public eye attracts attention - some of it from NUTS. You could play CCM, Christian rock, or hymns, all southern gospel, preaching, or white noise for that matter - somebody won't like it and be a potential threat. Oh and anything outdoors that is copper - spray paint it with aluminum paint so it looks cheap. School of hard knocks -----

And sell your cloak, and buy a sword. Or, since it's 2015, buy the modern equivalent of a sword -- a 12 gauge, pump action shotgun.

What I take from this is: I'm not going to let anyone run over me or say my music has no place in the Church. So what, if Michael Tait is doing the singing. His vocal styles continue to bring me back for more. I like the way he presents himself. His rendition of How Great Thou Art and other Hymns He has ever sung, are simply very moving and powerful indeed. I know the Hymns are popular and beloved. What I didn't know was, only certain types of people are allowed to perform them.

Dan <><

P.S. I respect and love the Hymns. Which is why I want to play them, on Jesus Radio. So what, if some of those renditions will have a modern sound to it. My first and main goal is to please God. Everything else will be secondary.

Last edited:
I'll repost what I posted on the other board:

What you did wasn’t a no-no. You shouldn’t have caved into one person. The person creating a disturbance over the music was wrong and was showing his own spiritual immaturity. Unfortunately that one person can be someone who is considered a “leader” in the church even when they don’t deserve that title. If he was a respected leader that was right on most issues but wrong on CCM (it does happen at times.) he should taken you over to one side to discuss the issue rather than creating a disturbance.

This might have been a time to call in the pastor for help unless he happened to be that one person. I have seen situations with CCM where the pastor was the one causing the problem. In any case this may be a situation where someone needs to intervene to calm the situation down. But this is an example of what you’ll have to put up with from some Southern Gospel listeners who have absolutely no tolerance for other styles of Christian music.

Although I loved the people there, we had problems in the church I grew up in with some people that prevented doing anything with CCM other than the softest extreme. Some of he people who were supposed to be youth leaders would get bent out of shape over the music. At one point they even pulled the group out of an event. Although I wasn’t officially a youth leader, it got to a point that I had to finally say that anyone going to a youth event needed to know it was going to be their kind of music and if they couldn’t handle it they didn’t need to be there. In later years it got to be where the youth leaders only invited adults (including me) that could handle the music to come to those types of events. * Additional note: These were newer and younger youth leaders who weren't anti-CCM by that time.

I know a Wednesday night dinner isn’t the same as a youth event, and the music may need to be geared toward the group that is there. But if it’s one hothead with a “my way or the highway” attitude causing the problem it may get to the point that you have to be blunt with them and tell them that if they can’t handle it they don’t need to be there. But hopefully someone can intervene and calm the problem down.

Last edited:
A funny thing happened to me tonight. I played some CCM CD's. Had a person to protest because he claimed volume was a bit loud. I didn't think the volume was. The acoustics in our fellowship hall is bad anyway. I played four songs, I liked. After I played them, he told me to turn it off. I did just that Then me and my parents made the decision that I would no longer play music, before our supper. Now here's the funny part of the incident. Follow along with me. The songs this fellow was protesting was timeless Hymns. You heard me right. I was playing Bart Millard's awesome rendition of Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus, His foot stomper version of I Saw The Light, His moving rendition of I Stand Amazed and Michael Tait's moving version of How Great Thou Art. Those four songs are personal favorites of mine. I love them very much. And yes, those renditions will be played on the SG program, I plan on doing, in heavy rotation.

Dan <><

P.S. Now if anyone from my home Church is going to tell me how to run this radio station, they're sadly mistaken. I have rules that I must abide by. If I chose not to obey them, then the FCC will punish me severely.
I'm with the person who protested. I was in the mountains (Western N.C. Methodists) and could hear the Sunday morning service blasting from speakers outside the auditorium. This was a traditional hymn which had been wrecked by making it sound contemporary. I got as far away from that auditorium as possible. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the attitude of the person who recorded the music or with those who liked it, but I will have nothing to do with it and I have that right.

And here's a link from Facebook that I mentioned earlier.

http://mikelivingstone.com/2014/12/17/the-heresy-of-worshiptainment/

"It’s better to please God and have a few people upset with you than to please people and have God upset with you." - Joel Osteen. Couldn't have said it better myself. And one of Petra's songs is "Godpleaser":

So many voices telling me which way to go
So many choices come from those who think they know
There's a way that seems right to a man but it only brings him death
I wanna go the way that leads to life till I draw my dying breath

Don't wanna be a man pleaser, I wanna be a God pleaser
I just want to have the wisdom to discern the two apart
I just want to do the things that please the father's heart

Some make a sacrifice and never let it show
Some make a point of letting everybody know
Some will live their lives as unto men and they have their reward
I just wanna do everything I do, with my heart unto the Lord

I just want to do the things that please the Father's heart

I just want my life to glorify His Son
To make my Father proud that I'm His child before I'm done
No need to pat me on the back or stop to shake my hand
I just want to hear my Father say "Well done, well done"
I just want to hear my Father say "Well done"

I just want to do the things that please the father's heart

I wanna be a God pleaser
I wanna be a God pleaser
I wanna be a God pleaser
----------------------------------------
Good vintage Christian rock!

The Church would be better served, if we would heed these words and act them out.

Dan <><

"Soldiers Under Command" Stryper

[Verse 1]
We are the soldiers under God's command
We hold His two-edged sword within our hands
We're not ashamed to stand up for what's right
We win without sin, it's not by our might
And we're fighting all the sin
And the good book -- it says we'll win!

[Chorus]
Soldiers, Soldiers, under command
Soldiers, Soldiers, fighting the Lords battle plan

[Verse 2]
Are you a soldier under God's command
Help fight the good fight, join us while you can
The battle that's waiting is fought so easily
Through Him, without sin there is victory
And were fighting all the sin
And the good book -- it says we'll win!

[Repeat Chorus]

------------------------------------------------

"Run To The Battle" Mr. Steven John Camp (A Musical Hero To Me)

Some people want to live
Within the sound of chapel bells
But I want to run a mission
A yard from the gates of hell

And with everyone you meet
I'll take them the gospel and share it well
And look around you as you hesitate
For another soul just fell, let's run to the battle
Run to the battle

Do you have your armor on?
We're in the middle of a raging war
We've been training for so long
Have we learned to use His sword?

We may not be ready but we serve a mighty Lord
And He's made us more than conquerors
So what are you waiting for? Let's run to the battle
We got to run, run to the battle

He has trampled down the enemy
And has given us the victory
When we pray we learn to see that His army
We are marching on our knees

There'll be times when we grow weak
Let's keep our faith alive
Let your faces shine with glory
For He's helped us to survive

And in that final hour when you feel like you're ready to die
Will you hear the trumpet sound
Will you hear the warrior cry, run to the battle
We got to run, run to the battle

----------------------------------------

"To Extremes" DeGarmo and Key (One of my all time favorites)

Every day I hear the news and wonder,
You can see the clouds we’re falling under,
But there’s a rushing wind and thunder I hear.

On through the rain and darkness, I see light,
I sense the power of God and change in sight,
And if we’ll pray together we’ll ignite a flame.

We’ve got to take it to extremes,
Living on the edge, not standing in between,
And walk with Christ for all to see,
Telling broken hearts God can intervene,
We’ve got to take it to extremes.

In an age when all is so confusing there is one who knows that we’re not losing,
His words, they sound so very soothing to me.

But, like a knife, those words can cut so deep,
Convict our heats of wasted time we keep,
So live your life extreme, so all can see his love.

Last edited:
Petra, Stryper, D&K, Steve Camp...you two know you're really showing your age with those? Great memories.

"Visions" Russ Taff

These eyes can see much further now
You have come
For the first time I can see beyond
There's no rebellion locked inside of my heart
Because your love has just begun to
Cut me like a knife
It breaks through
Starting to reveal You
No more fighting for my own way
I'm Yours
And you have given me

Chorus:
Vision - to believe in a brave, new world
Vision - to believe in the power of love
Vision - to believe in a brave, new world
Vision - to believe in the power of love

I had illusions of the way life should be
And chose the part that I would play
But by Your hand I see my plans swept away
Because Your love has just begun to
Cut me like a knife
It breaks through
Starting to reveal You
No more fighting for my own way
I'm Yours
And You have given me

Repeat Chorus

To believe in the power of love
It's love, it's love
It's a brave new world
The power of love
It's love
It's a brave new world of love
It's love, it's love
It's a brave new world
The power of love
It's love

"Rock Solid" Russ Taff

This is it
I have made my mind up
No more "both ways"
I have been dancing on the border
Wasting my days
Why was I flirting with a time bomb
I know what's right
Starting now
No more compromising
I'm changing my life

Chorus:
Got my feet back on the solid ground
I'm standing rock solid, rock solid
No moving me
I'm standing rock solid

Don't you find indecision tiring
Such a waste of time
You should be standing here beside me
Power in your life

Repeat Chorus

Bridge:
This is my life
It's all up to me now
I choose to believe
I'm choosing to believe

Last edited:
I read the comments about threats and confrontations doing Christian radio. I worked Christian radio at one point and have many war stories as well. Not only did I meet some of the finest people I have ever had the opportunity to meet, I have met some real, for lack of a better word, hate filled individuals. And I met a few harmless kind folks that likely weren't living in the same reality the rest of us were.

I recall one raking me over the coals about a program he heard. Man he was rough. I tried suggesting we might not be the right station for him and perhaps another station on the dial might fit him better. That managed to make him more angry, so I asked him his neck size. When he asked why I simply said he was driving me away from God and I would gladly order his millstone for his neck. Then I hung up. He didn't call back.

The funniest, from a sales point, was an inquiry about or rates. I was told my rates were too high and I should pray over the rates we charge. It was a common ploy for a lower rate. I suggested the caller pray because if their ministry was truly of God, money was not a factor as with God all things are possible. They signed up at the regular rate which, by the way, was 20% below my competition. It was one of those really rare moments where the mind triggered a response during the conversation, not after. For the record I really did work with the ministries on our station to make sure they could get their message heard. Ironically, it was those who paid from their own wallets that never complained about price or any technical issue we might have.

I'm proud to say I have met and still in contact with the great folks I met at that time in my life. They're the sort that restore your faith in humanity.

During my tenure there I got this really strange call. This guy wanted to know what that smooth jazz song we played about 10 pm Saturday night. I asked if he heard it on our AM dial position and he said it was on our FM. I explained we were an AM station and we didn't have an FM. I also said we were only on the air during the day and were not allowed to broadcast at night, so we were not the station where he heard that smooth jazz song. I thought maybe a distant AM station on the same frequency was what he mistook for our station before he said it was on the FM dial. He thought I was making all of this up, muttered a few choice words and demanded to talk to the station manager. When I told him I was the station manager, he had more choice words with some graphic adjectives to take it up a notch. I couldn't ever make him understand it was not our station. He finally just hung up. I was so in shock at the guy, not mad, mind you, astounded perhaps. My mind was trying to grasp what was happening. Maybe I was being spoofed but I never found out otherwise.

That reminds me of what happened to me one time in the 80's. At that time WMSO AM 640 in Memphis (Now WCRV) had a CCM format that reduced their power at night. At night a Cuban or Mexican station was coming in instead. I was talking to someone about the station and she said that she really liked the music except at night when they started broadcasting in Spanish! She wasn't angry but couldn't grasp the idea that it was a different station coming in overnight. :rolleyes:

That reminds me of what happened to me one time in the 80's. At that time WMSO AM 640 in Memphis (Now WCRV) had a CCM format that reduced their power at night. At night a Cuban or Mexican station was coming in instead. I was talking to someone about the station and she said that she really liked the music except at night when they started broadcasting in Spanish! She wasn't angry but couldn't grasp the idea that it was a different station coming in overnight. :rolleyes:

Not my station - but WSCF had a translator in Melbourne on 93.3. Skip is very common in Florida, so it was often overridden by 93.3 from Tampa, which billed itself as "the power pig", and played a pretty raunchy morning show. It was formatted top-40. I am sure WSCF got a lot of calls when listeners to the translator heard inappropriate content on 93.3 instead of the translator!

I can truthfully say - some of the best people I have ever known have been Christians. But I can also truthfully say - some of the WORST people I have ever known have been Christians. When it comes to pure evil, vitriolic, hate-filled diatribes, you cannot match one of those anti-CCM types. Especially if you couple that with a belief in King James only-ism. That is why I don't respect sources like the link a few messages back, or the av1611 folks, or whatever. They will know we are Christians by our dogmatism. Right?! Nope - it is LOVE. Nothing, in my mind, is more hateful than somebody who comes out and publicly says my station, my program, my ministry is invalid because it is too much fun - it is too entertaining. May they suffer the same wrath from God as Michal - the first wife of King David - who was angry because he was dancing for joy before God, and it seemed wrong to her.

NOTHING in the Bible prohibits church - or radio by extension - being entertaining and relevant. And since we are competing directly with some pretty entertaining stuff - we better get our act together and be at least interesting to listen to. The gospel message does nobody any good if nobody hears it. I think anybody who is not mentally ill prefers pleasant things to unpleasant. So - what do I do when faced with the stark reality that donations = ratings = potential salvations. To some degree, that is the same with churches. Be unpleasant and boring, people will stop coming, the collection plate is empty, the doors shut. I am reminded of the old movie Pollyanna. There is a really profound message in there for the church. There are more things pleasant about being a Christian than there are unpleasant. Program dirges all the time, preach hellfire, damnation, and repentance on the air - without a healthy balance of the hope and joy of the Christian life, accentuated with some really positive music your station will be bankrupt.

We have the stuper bowl this Sunday. What is church attendance likely to be this Sunday? I am going, because I worship God not steroid bodies scratching their rear ends. My priority is GOD, not the god of sport. No doubt the Romans who attended the Colosseum for diversion would find Sunday's secular festivities strangely familiar. I, for one, am bored by the whole affair. A rousing message of hope and life and the goodness of God, accompanied by upbeat, exciting music is much more entertaining and a higher priority than the latter day gladiators. I don't have an air shift on Sunday, but if I did I would make sure that I played compelling programming for those with similar priorities. As it is - my home theater will likely be occupied by relatives. I will have a sci-fi bowl on downstairs.

Not my station - but WSCF had a translator in Melbourne on 93.3. Skip is very common in Florida, so it was often overridden by 93.3 from Tampa, which billed itself as "the power pig", and played a pretty raunchy morning show. It was formatted top-40. I am sure WSCF got a lot of calls when listeners to the translator heard inappropriate content on 93.3 instead of the translator!
One time BBN's station was off the air. In its place I could clearly hear a station playing a lot of heavy metal, and the lyrics "Our father, who ain't in Heaven."

NOTHING in the Bible prohibits church - or radio by extension - being entertaining and relevant.
I suppose that's true as long as the focus is on the message and not how it's delivered.

There is only one message really: Redemption. The rest is rather Ephesian.

There is only one message really: Redemption. The rest is rather Ephesian.

We all struggle to reduce "The Message" down to something we can share with others quickly... even when they don't have the patience to sit through our efforts to give them a seminary education in one evening.... :cool: but in response to your brevity.... 'splain to me how we ended up with a Bible that is 66 separate "books" in one if that one line is really all there is to life.

This whole argument about what kind of music we need to use for worship when we gather, and kind of music should be broadcast on radio stations results in us trying to reduce the whole of ecclesiastical music down to just 20, 30 or 40 songs and saying the rest don't count... if fact they are evil!

So, if we going to do that with the music that is common to Western Hemisphere believers, why not go ahead and distill the entire collection of sacred, inspired writings down to just one line or least just one page.

In the first 400 years or so of The Current Era there were "councils" that met and sorted through all the candidates for inclusion into the sacred writings.

Did they call a Council in the last 20 years or so that I totally missed out on where they decided one line was sufficient? Who is the keeper of The Minutes of that meeting. I guess I need to brush up a bit.

Yes, I realize that this post is a slight bit "snarky" as we say in our culture today... but aren't all these threads about what music of the faith belongs on the radio and what music of the faith should be used when we gather as "church" is just a bit snarky?

Last edited:
There is a reason there are different denominations. There are different ways of expressing our faith, and not all people express their faith the same.

I know white Christians who appreciate the faith black American Christians have, but they can't handle the expressiveness in many African American churches. That doesn't mean the reserved white American is correct and the more immediately expressive African American Christians are wrong in their worship and preaching methods -- just different. Because people are different. It doesn't mean they are any less Christian. Just different in how they express their faith.

Even the Apostle Paul stated that there are different parts of the body -- that look and act completely different, but the unifier, and the unity, is Christ.

Colossians 2:16-17 NIV: Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

And for the KJV Only people out there: :rolleyes:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

NOTHING in the Bible prohibits church - or radio by extension - being entertaining and relevant. And since we are competing directly with some pretty entertaining stuff - we better get our act together and be at least interesting to listen to. The gospel message does nobody any good if nobody hears it. I think anybody who is not mentally ill prefers pleasant things to unpleasant. So - what do I do when faced with the stark reality that donations = ratings = potential salvations.

Yep, just look at what Dr Gene Scott and his widow now (former porn star "Pastor Mellissa" who is mostly redoing former "sermons" by Gene...like she knows all the languages she claims to but never attended divinity school which the Dr did! I will give him that...)...Of course there is also Baker, Swaggart, Hinn, Popoff, Tilton and sooo many others who constantly ask for you to "sow" your seed....the worse?? The Republican National Committee!! (REALLY!! My mom in her last years suffering from dementia, sent a small donation in to them.....EVERY week after that, the RNC would fill her mailbox with requests for more...and sold her name to sooo many mailing lists asking for money, a lot of them total fakes and not religious but with a religious slant, the post office started delivering mail to the house in BUCKETS....eventually, I got a lot of that junk mail stopped)

I was raised Catholic but have become more deist in my older years...similar to Neil Armstrong...but another former Catholic, George Carlin, really made the right comments about organized religion

"But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more.”

And the religious broadcasters compete against each other for the holy $$$$.........somehow I don't think that's what Jesus would have wanted....

Yep, just look at what Dr Gene Scott and his widow now (former porn star "Pastor Mellissa" who is mostly redoing former "sermons" by Gene...like she knows all the languages she claims to but never attended divinity school which the Dr did! I will give him that...)...Of course there is also Baker, Swaggart, Hinn, Popoff, Tilton and sooo many others who constantly ask for you to "sow" your seed....the worse?? The Republican National Committee!! (REALLY!! My mom in her last years suffering from dementia, sent a small donation in to them.....EVERY week after that, the RNC would fill her mailbox with requests for more...and sold her name to sooo many mailing lists asking for money, a lot of them total fakes and not religious but with a religious slant, the post office started delivering mail to the house in BUCKETS....eventually, I got a lot of that junk mail stopped)

I was raised Catholic but have become more deist in my older years...similar to Neil Armstrong...but another former Catholic, George Carlin, really made the right comments about organized religion

"But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more.”

And the religious broadcasters compete against each other for the holy $$$$.........somehow I don't think that's what Jesus would have wanted....

I think it would be wise to leave politics OFF of the board. Based on your comments, mine probably differ from your own. Incidentally, I am presently having the same problem with "the other guys" haranguing me for donations and to become and activist - because of one positive thing I said to them on social media.

It is a problem - to run a church or a radio station takes money. So you have to make the need for money known to your members / listeners. Where I think it crosses the line is when they try guilt trip members into a specified amount - usually 10%. They justify it because the Bible specifies "bring tithes into the storehouse". They need to read that passage again. It is plural. The actual amount specified is 23 1/3 percent when you do the accounting. They know that would be too hard of a sell to a present day flock.

I am convinced enough of the good intentions of some, maybe most on-air ministries. The government has been pretty good about getting the frauds for false advertising, tax evasion and the like. The best advice I give people is to look at the financial statements of a ministry, which they are required by law to make public, to make sure anything you contribute is used properly. And make sure you designate where the money is to go, and they are required by law to earmark it for that specific cause.

Some of these phonies have given on-air ministry a bad name, some of the ones from yesteryear are absolutely hilarious! I recall one preacher on a border blaster purporting to raise people from the dead live on air. Of course it was radio with no video. I would be happy to witness it - a worthy person resurrected in full view of cameras with medical doctors doing a "before" and "after" examination. Somehow I don't think there will be any takers.

If you want to see a display of completely fake, sinister, evil, deceptive, bad religion, I submit you will have more luck looking at Islamic hate-filled Immans, Thankfully we don't have to deal with that nonsense over the air - yet: ÿour beheading dollars are work!

I think it would be wise to leave politics OFF of the board. Based on your comments, mine probably differ from your own. Incidentally, ...........

// S N I P //

If you want to see a display of completely fake, sinister, evil, deceptive, bad religion, I submit you will have more luck looking at Islamic hate-filled Immans,

Are you talking about (1) immams, (2) imams or (3) imans?

After chiding the other poster for bringing politics to the board... it appears you have decided to bring politics to the board.

The total hysteria in forums of all kinds today is a political issue over those folks who carry out political activities and terrorism and wrap themselves in the banner or flag or costume of the Islamic faith. But what these people are doing is not religious. It is political. So why do you bring them up here?

Maybe because they are against CCM music? :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom