• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shame on the unpatriotic sports hub 98.5 wbz-fm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O

Omnibus

Rather than carry the National Anthem as did CBS -TV 98.5 FM/The Sports Hub/ WBZ-FM went to a commercial for Kersperky Insurance. Both The Sports - Hub and the sponsor showed poor judgement and put the almighty dollar before The American Flag and National Anthem.

Shame on both of them.

Networks and stations do that all the time. It's usually only the for the big games that they stick around for the anthem. It's not really a big deal.

Sorry, it is a big deal. Why did the TV cover it if it wasn't a big deal. Kurspersky and 98.5 should donate the money they charge for that airtime to a wounded soldiers fund or similar organization.
Networks and stations do that all the time. It's usually only the for the big games that they stick around for the anthem. It's not really a big deal.

Although a common occurrence, it still doesn't make it right. The almighty dollar wins over a minute and a half of unified patriotism. Sad, really.

Yes though stations can join up with patriotic efforts and sentiments at times--knowing it makes them look good to the audience (this happened after events like 9-11 and marathon bombings; WRKO ID with "Boston, Massachusetts, U-S-A" with stirring patriotic music in background). _This_ makes them look bad. Are we going to have to have the anthem sponsored by an advertiser to get them to carry it? "And now here's James Taylor to perform our national anthem sponsored by..."

CBS on both TV and radio sure made a lot of legal tender yesterday--great country, America, but we do have to shoehorn more ads in...

(btw if you were listening to 98.5's coverage online, they cut off the name of the sponsor when they went to ads.I don't know the sponsor name but let's say it's the Safety Insurance Sports Hub Patriots Radio Network. They were paying for mentions on terr. signal but not online: "With the score Patriots 14, Colts 7 on the--"

(Cut off. Not sponsored online. It's all money. Mrs Carlson on WKRP first ep: "Young man this radio station is a BUSINESS. It is not here for your personal listening pleasure."

(I was at work and game was on 93.7 from Westwood One; signal comes in great, and 98.5, Pats network; came in shaky so I had to use TuneIn on my phone to hear clearly...my phone does have the NextRadio app, an FM chip--can hear terr. signals with less battery drain and data usage...but I also had a basic Sony walkman)

Last edited:
Only a big deal to those that treat the government as a religion.

It is a song before a sports game to anyone else.

Rather than carry the National Anthem as did CBS -TV 98.5 FM/The Sports Hub/ WBZ-FM went to a commercial for Kersperky Insurance.

Er, donʼt you mean Kaspersky Anti-Virus/Security? :cool:

I would boycott Kesrpersky Security. They buy enough spots to demand any placement they want. Kersperky Security knew exactly that their spot would dump the National Anthem. If anyone would like to contact them they are located at 500 Union Park, Woburn, MA 01801. Tel 1-866-328-5700.
The Programming Manager at 98.5 The Sports Hub is Mike Thomas. His email is : [email protected]. Advertising "Central" appears to come out of New York City: CBS Local Media 1271 Avenue of The Americas, 44th FL NYC. 10020. Believe Avenue of The Americas is 3'rd Avenue and lined on each side of the street with American Flags. The sales whores at CBS probably miss that irony.

Not government, but country. Love of country. Love not necessarily of the politicians and officeholders, but hard working people who show love and dedication, and a love of freedom.
I love freedom, liberty, and justice

"That ain't no rag, it's a flag"--Charlie Daniels
Also, from his In America (he pictured one team's fans representing hard working Americans)
"Cause we'll all stick together and you can take that to the bank
That's the cowboys and the hippies and the rebels and the yanks
You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna finally understand"

Wikipedia:
The line, "Just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan" stems from Daniels' feeling that the people in Pittsburgh are "The salt of the earth, the finest, just the greatest people. The strength of America." He says, "I've gone to ball games at different places, but I've always felt the Pittsburgh Steelers fans, especially in the old stadium - I mean, they're steel workers and they're good old guys with blisters, or calluses on their hands. The strength of America is not in Washington, D.C., It's in our people, it's on the farms, in the factories. It's the people out here that make this country work. The truck drivers, the farmers. And these people, that's what they were, and I just felt like if you want to go to war, let me take some of these guys with me. Go lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and you're gonna find out what American anger is, because it's the kind of people they are."

Last edited:
Famous quote from Jerry Williams when he lectured to aspiring broadcasting students..." You are not going into the journalism profession; you are going into the advertising business....". Spot on as we can see the 98.5 The Sports Hub and Kerspersky Security spit on the American Flag to sell a commercial.

And you know what? Each and every one of the veterans that resorted to violence just because somebody expressed that opinion would all go to jail. And rightly so.

The Star-Spangled Banner is our national anthem. Great. I love my country, I love that song, and I don't mind showing it before every sporting event. But if you want to witness that performance before a game, go to the game. If you don't want to go to the game, you run the risk of missing out on that experience, because it's not any radio station's patriotic duty to air it. The only duties a radio station has is to the listeners, the FCC and the people who pay the bills, and they're already mostly failing on the first count to satisfy those in the third, anyway, so this shouldn't be a surprise or an issue. You want to hear the national anthem before a game on the radio or TV? Find a copy and play it for yourself.

Please, give me a break. Would you rather listen to a commercial for a bogus company like Ker sper sky or to the National Anthem . If you said the commercial please take two aspirin and call your doctor immediately..... ;-)
And you know what? Each and every one of the veterans that resorted to violence just because somebody expressed that opinion would all go to jail. And rightly so.

The Star-Spangled Banner is our national anthem. Great. I love my country, I love that song, and I don't mind showing it before every sporting event. But if you want to witness that performance before a game, go to the game. If you don't want to go to the game, you run the risk of missing out on that experience, because it's not any radio station's patriotic duty to air it. The only duties a radio station has is to the listeners, the FCC and the people who pay the bills, and they're already mostly failing on the first count to satisfy those in the third, anyway, so this shouldn't be a surprise or an issue. You want to hear the national anthem before a game on the radio or TV? Find a copy and play it for yourself.

Doesn't matter what I'd rather listen to, what matters to this conversation is what aired. And the gist of the underlying point here is that even that doesn't matter. You got to see and/or hear the game. That was made possible by advertising. You're welcome.

No, the ability and the freedom to listen to the game and to sell commercials ...sell air... is represented by the National Anthem. Sadly, instead The Sports Hub 98.5 sold its soul for the almighty buck. You're welcome.
Doesn't matter what I'd rather listen to, what matters to this conversation is what aired. And the gist of the underlying point here is that even that doesn't matter. You got to see and/or hear the game. That was made possible by advertising. You're welcome.

No, actually, that freedom is represented by the fact that it's exercised. The national anthem is played to show loyalty to our country, which most every country does regardless of whether or not that freedom is infringed upon or to what degree. When you start confusing national symbolism for symbols of the individual liberty that you have whether others try to trample it or not, you've lost sight of what's truly important.

You're welcome for the civics lesson.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom