• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Late nighters in syndication (game shows, talk shows, etc.)

WPVI is banishing Millionaire to just its overnight time slot this season (where that airing had previously been a repeat), yo make way for the new Tyra Banks hosted show.

More to add - mainly Yakima-Tri Cities
In 2000-2001, KIMA/KEPR buried Judge Mills Lane to an overnight double run, at 2:10-3:10AM. This was in a short period where they were not signing off on weeknights, that tradition would return a couple years later and vary year to year until 2011.
At the same time, KNDO/KNDU aired Arrest & Trial at 4AM. KAPP/KVEW aired Dr. Laura at 1:05AM, after an infomercial and prior to sign-off.
In 1998-99, KIMA/KEPR aired one run of Martha Stewart Living at 5:30AM. KNDO/KNDU used the 4AM slot for the then-failing Hard Copy. Like many other NBC stations, they preempted Sunset Beach to 3AM.
1996-97 - KCYU-LP Fox 68 buried Geraldo at 4AM, in between infomercials. KNDO/KNDU would air Sally Jessy Raphael at 2:05AM.

A few more Yakima late-night runs
KNDO/KNDU aired a 2nd run of Karn's Family Feud at 4AM for most of 2003-04, and all of 2004-05. 2nd half of '03-'04 was Donny Osmond's Pyramid, which was downgraded from 4:00PM.
KAPP/KVEW aired Jane Pauley at 1:05AM before sign off ('04-'05). They also threw Inside Edition at 1:35AM the previous year, again right before signing off. Inside Edition had been on 35/42 since the Bill O'Reilly days, it now airs on KIMA/KEPR at 6:30PM.

In Traverse City-Cadillac, The Insider airs at 6pm on WGTU (they air a 6:30pm local newscast which pushes World News to 7pm)

Here in Denver when he had died some years back in his obit the Denver Post reported that Rick Barber simulcasted his late night show on KOA radio over KOA-TV ( now KCNC ). I have NO idea how long that lasted.

Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, so here’s what I can recall from many a late night in the 90s/early 2000s…

KCTV aired “hardcopy“ weeknights at 11 PM for its first few years, before upgrading it to the 4 PM timeslot starting in the fall of 1993. Other late nighters on channel 5 include “Love Connection,” which was originally on at 3 PM on K NBC channel 9 until the fall of 1989, where upon it moved to 3 PM on channel 5 before Channel 5 relocated it to 12:37 AM following “real stories of the highway patrol“; this was done to make room for Ricki Lake which they placed at 3 PM. Jenny Jones also aired at 12:30 AM on channel 5 from its debut in the fall of 1991 until around 1995 or so, I believe, when it moved to WDAF and was carried on that station at 10 AM and/or 2 PM for several years. The syndicated run of “Family Feud“ hosted by Ray Combs was carried at 3 PM on WDAF channel 4 since at least 1990 but bye the fall of 1992, it had moved to KCTV Channel 5 where it aired at 2:30 AM following “The Judge,“ and then was moved to 3:07 AM for the 1993/94 season, following “Vicki“.

KMBC carried “Donahue” at 9 AM for most of the 1980s at least, before moving it to 3 PM in 1989 and then burying it at 1:06 AM for the 1995/96 season; its last. they also carried “Jerry Springer“ at 10 AM for at least the first couple years but around 1993/94, when it started becoming the show most of us know it to be, they moved it to one oh5 AM following quote Rush Limbaugh“; it would be upgraded to 3 PM in the fall of 1995, and “Donahue“ would take its graveyard spot. They also carried the late 90s versions of “the newlywed game“ and “the dating game“ at 1:30 AM and 2 AM respectively, I believe.

I recall KMCI channel 38 carrying “Change of Heart“ at 11 PM or later starting in 1999; that time slot was previously occupied by the 1998/99 revival of “Love Connection“. I also recall them airing “street smarts“ in late night; I think it may have been around midnight or 12:30 AM.

Around the fall of 1998, WDAF moved “Real TV“ to midnight after carrying it at 10:30 PM and then, for the 1999/2000 season, they moved it to 1 AM; it aired there for part of the 2000/01 season as well until they moved it to 1 PM around November 2000. They also carried “real stories of the highway patrol“ after channel 5 dropped it in the fall of 1995, I believe; I think they initially aired it at 11 PM or 11:30 PM before moving it to 1:30 AM in about 1987 or 1998.

Those are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head.

I do recall WSB relegating Tic Tac Dough '90 to around 2 AM and WXIA acquiring Family Feud from WAGA and moving it to around 2:30 AM (the daytime CBS wasn't cleared here until a year later when WTLK/ch. 14 --now WPXA--began clearing network morning shows blacked out by the affiliates).

KYW in Philly ran the revivals of Joker’s Wild and Tic Tac Dough, and later Match Game, in the overnights. At some point, the pre-Harvey era of the current Feud aired in weird overnights on, I think, WCAU, along with a couple of episodes on Saturdays in the 7 pm hour to round out the weekly allotment.

Nothing terribly unusual or surprising about most such situations. Too many shows, only so many daylight hours.

In Des Moines Iowa some of the shows that aired in Latenight we're as follows as I remember:

Jerry Springer aired at 1:05am on Who tv 13.

To tell the Truth (2002) aired at 12:35am on WOI tv 5.

Mark Walberg, Dennis Prager, Martin Short, aired in late night hours between 12:05am and 3:05 am.

As for the present only Kelly Clarkson use to air at 12:35am on KCCI tv 8 until yesterday when it moved to 3pm. Dr. Oz now airs at 12:35am where it was moved from the 3pm spot.

Dittoheads claim liberal program directors put Rush Limbaugh's show late because his fans had to get up early and wouldn't be able to watch it

Another couple I just remembered! During the 2002/03 season, KCTV channel 5 carried the version of “Pyramid“ hosted by Donny Osmond at 11:35 PM following “The Late Show With David Letterman“. Not sure where it went in the 03/04 season as far as the Kansas City market is concerned, though.

Also, KSMO channel 62 carried “Match Game” 98 at midnight for most of the run and When Louis Anderson’s “Family Feud” debuted in the fall of 1999, they carried it at midnight for the first season or two I believe

Spokane's KAYU put the Screen Gems Network (Columbia classic TV showcase) from 11:30 PM-12:30 AM in its first season, 1999-2000. Normally, affiliates aired SGN in the late morning hours.
And when Love Connection went to Best-Of reruns, KAYU buried it to 2AM in 1994-95, next to Dennis Prager's short-lived show.

Another couple I just remembered! During the 2002/03 season, KCTV channel 5 carried the version of “Pyramid“ hosted by Donny Osmond at 11:35 PM following “The Late Show With David Letterman“. Not sure where it went in the 03/04 season as far as the Kansas City market is concerned, though.
KCTV also carried Inside Edition in that time slot, for a number of years, starting around 2003.

I thought “Love Connection“ had those “Best of“ reruns in addition to the regular run episodes starting in about 1990 or 1991?

KSMO channel 62 here in Kansas City carried “Love Connection” at 1 AM following reruns of “Top Cops“ at 12:30 AM; this was after channel 5 dropped LC at the start of the 94/95 season. I know channel 62 reran episodes from the last three seasons of it or so, because the version of the theme song used from the fall of 1991 to the show’s end in July 1994 was the really jazzy version.

Sidenote, I wonder why it’s so hard to find episodes of “Love Connection’s” final season on YouTube?

Nothing terribly unusual or surprising about most such situations. Too many shows, only so many daylight hours.

Add to that the fact that there aren’t as many open slots on TV stations is there used to be. While stations affiliated with Fox, The CW, My Network TV and various Independent Stations do a fairly decent job of carrying syndicated shows, gone are the days when CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates did so extensively; these days, they fill a lot of their non-network slots with newscasts. Quite the overkill, if you ask me. I mean, do we really need newscasts at 9 AM, 4 PM and so on?

Add to that the fact that there aren’t as many open slots on TV stations is there used to be. While stations affiliated with Fox, The CW, My Network TV and various Independent Stations do a fairly decent job of carrying syndicated shows, gone are the days when CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates did so extensively; these days, they fill a lot of their non-network slots with newscasts. Quite the overkill, if you ask me. I mean, do we really need newscasts at 9 AM, 4 PM and so on?
It's better than filling the time with trash talk, courtroom shows, and infomercials. Granted, the celebrity talk shows are more tolerable than the others.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom