• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do I get to low drop feeling in Audacity?

U

Unregistered

Sorry, IDK where Audacity should go in RD. But how do you get the drop feeling (not Fade out) but keeping the beat when you are cleaning out a profane word?

To show you an example, I will use Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX's, Fancy (I love pop music) clean edit to show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGsYQTEAt0

I am trying to do the effect that blocks out the profane word in this time slot: 0:19 in the video.

Audacity people, I think you can figure this out for me. Thanks! ;)

Sorry, IDK where Audacity should go in RD. But how do you get the drop feeling (not Fade out) but keeping the beat when you are cleaning out a profane word?

To show you an example, I will use Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX's, Fancy (I love pop music) clean edit to show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGsYQTEAt0

I am trying to do the effect that blocks out the profane word in this time slot: 0:19 in the video.

Audacity people, I think you can figure this out for me. Thanks! ;)

I'd imagine you'd need the vocal and music tracks separated to do this with any audio editing program.

I listened to the example and here is my GUESS: The sound may have come from a library of transition sounds. Have you noticed news casts and sports programs in particual where when they transition from one story to another or from one commentator to another, the have these cartoon like sound effects? Since I don't use them and don't know what the accepted terminology of the industry is, I just call them "Swoosh Sounds".

There is no feature on Audacity where you highlight the naughty word and click on a menu somewhere for a Swoosh Sound..... at least I've not see such a feature... but I haven't looked for it. So you could go find a Swoosh Sound somewhere adjust its volume level so it matches in with the surrounding sound, highlight the 'bad word" and PASTE the Swoosh right in there.

Chances are that will give you a rather abrupt, choppy, clunky sound.

Here is my guess. They used a MULTI-TRACK editing software. The original content (stereo) is in a pair of tracks, the "Swoosh" in another pair of tracks. If they purchased a library of quality Swooshes, the Swoosh may actually be in stereo, not identical sound on both stereo tracks. Now, here is where we separate the adults in the room from the amateurs. A hard "slice out the old" and "drop in the new" is not likely to sound as smooth as the example you posted. (I don't have time to play with it right now but I recorded that segment and later tonight or maybe tomorrow I will 'take it apart' to see what it is made of.

Using the multi track scenario I suggested, you chop out the offensive word(s) on the main track and put the swoosh on the alternate tracks. Let them over-lap each other a little bit. How much overlap? That what the Big Boys get paid to know after years of banging their head against the wall.... and muttering words that would need to be Swosshed out of this thread. Then you have an amazingly short period of time where one track fades out while the other track (overlapping) fades in. At the end of the Swoosh you have another cross-fade, going back the other way.

After you have done it a couple of hundred times, you can do it quickly. But the first 100 times may drive you to insanity.

It is not something the software WILL DO FOR YOU. I haven't spent a lot of time in Audacity and I don't have it on my machine right now (didn't reinstall after my last hard-drive failure) but if I were going to do a SWOOSH OUT or a LOW DROP FEELING as you call it, Audacity would likely be THE LAST editor I would want use to do the task.

The older version of Adobe Audition I have (1.5) has a Vocal Cut option in the channel mixer. I haven't had much success by clicking the vocal cut and removing something. In the 1990s at a station I worked at we had a vocal eliminator yet I didn't use it much myself in production.

I downloaded the example audio in the link provided by the Original Poster. Though I know my way around an audio editor when it comes to "spoken word" content, I admit that I have to reach a little beyond my area of expertise when it comes to editing musical content.

A close examination of the little sound fragments indicated that the elimination of the offensive language in the recording was not all that sophisticated, but it was well executed. I originally though some kind of external "swossh" sound-effect was grafted in. Now IO think it was just a good, solid down-beat chord from somewhere in the original recording. That way the cover-up sound was in-tune, in the same key, as the musical content so it blended in well.... not like the "sore thumb" that looked (sounded?) like it had been hit by a hammer.

I didn't see any evidence that there was manipulation to separate the vocal from the rest of the sound. Since it was a very, very short expletive that needed to be hidden/covered/removed.... one good downbeat just covered over or replaced original content. (They executed whatever they did quite well!)

I have been trying to make clean edits and smooth elimination of "noise" from recordings for a long time. And every time I learn or discover a new technique, I mutter: "Self.... that was pretty simple. Whut the hell took you so long to figure it out?"

*** not a misspelled word! "whut" is a bona fide listing in the Southern country-boy dictionary.

I have never used Audacity but I used to edit profanity out very frequently (sometimes weekly) for radio, using Adobe Audition. I would highlight the profanity and reverse it. If there is a 'reverse' function in Audacity, you'd just highlight and apply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom