• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius Loses Pre-1972 fight again

I'd love to see the Supreme Court take this up. Copyright is a federal issue, not a state issue. It is an enumerated power in the Constitution, specifically given to Congress. If Congress decides that pre-1972 copyrights are no longer in effect, they're no longer in effect. No state has the power to say otherwise.

I'd love to see the Supreme Court take this up. Copyright is a federal issue, not a state issue.

Depends what side you're on. Strict Constitutionalists feel the 10th amendment applies here.

However, one might say Sirius is intestate commerce, covered by those laws.

The way Sirius has argued this ignores that point.

Last edited:
All fair points. To the first of which I'd say this: I'd consider myself a fairly strict Constitutionalist, but the 10th just plain doesn't apply here. The point of the 10th is to make clear that any powers that are not delegated to the federal government in the Constitution go to the states or the people. Since the authority over copyright is an enumerated power given solely to Congress, the states don't have jurisdiction over copyright law whether Congress decides to act on their authority or not. It's entirely a federal power. So if Congress decides that recorded music prior to 1972 isn't subject to copyright, it's not subject to copyright. Interstate commerce is certainly another aspect worth looking at, though that argument was rejected in the California case, which is probably why they're not trying it here. All of that is why I would like to see this go to the SCOTUS. Granted, I would like to see their ruling go a certain way, but even if it didn't, at least we'd have an entity on the federal level making the federal interpretation of the law clear rather than this all playing out state-by-state.

I would like to see their ruling go a certain way, but even if it didn't, at least we'd have an entity on the federal level making the federal interpretation of the law clear rather than this all playing out state-by-state.

These cases have been tried in US District Courts, which ARE part of the federal court system, with federal judges. But I understand your point.

Sirius ended up settling for $210 million. CBS, iHeartMedia, and Cumulus are now on the hot seat in this pre-1972 music mess. Once a victory is secured against them, the local stations will probably be next.

Sirius ended up settling for $210 million. CBS, iHeartMedia, and Cumulus are now on the hot seat in this pre-1972 music mess. Once a victory is secured against them, the local stations will probably be next.

The mega-chains have pretty much settled the issue going forward, since most pre-1972 music has "grayed out" of the advertiser-desirable demos. I don't think eliminating "Stairway to Heaven," "All Along the Watchtower" and the remaining couple of dozen 1967-71 titles still on classic rock playlists will impact ratings much, if at all, and those chains don't do standards, so a complete purge is certainly doable.

CBS, iHeartMedia, and Cumulus are now on the hot seat in this pre-1972 music mess. Once a victory is secured against them, the local stations will probably be next.

There is no legal basis for suing local stations. Until the law is changed, broadcast of all music is covered.

There is no legal basis for suing local stations. Until the law is changed, broadcast of all music is covered.

But if they want to continue streaming as well as broadcasting, the pre-'72 stuff would have to go, right? I assume that's what "westcoast" was referring to when he brought up iHeart, CBS and Cumulus.

I heard The Turtles on America's Best Music on Tuesday.

Now this issue is quite serious for that format, sincea lot of the music there is pre-1972. Anyone care to explain why it is apparently not a problem for them?

CBS just made this much more interesting in terms of the legalities of copyright. Rather than multi-post, read it here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom