• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Disney OTA Lives On......

....or at least their squeaky - clean playlist does. Seems they've offered it up to any and all 'family-friendly' FM stations, one of them being WKJY 98.3 in Long Island. I've heard the slightly altered version of Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" and the VERY lyric altered version of Megan Tranior's "All About That Bass". Both are ID on my media player as "RD Version". Perhaps many more trips to Disney World and Cruises are ahead for K98.3?

Another RD station got sold today....cant recall but it was not a small market one...wonder how long it will take them to sell off the entire group?

Another RD station got sold today....cant recall but it was not a small market one...wonder how long it will take them to sell off the entire group?

Latest one to go is Charlotte, which makes six sold out of, what was it, 26? Detroit, Houston, NYC, Orlando and Cleveland were previously announced.

I'm a bit confused by the original post. First, Radio Disney is still on the radio in most markets, although its time is limited. But everyone on Long Island can easily hear Radio Disney on 50,000 watt WQEW 1560 for now.

Second, are you implying that an AC station like 98.3 WKJY Hempstead gets its G-rated versions of songs from Disney in exchange for on-air givaways for trips to Disney World and Disney Cruises? I'm not sure Disney cares which G-rated versions of songs WKJY plays. "All About That Bass" has a word in the original version that NO station plays. But I'm sure being an AC station, WKJY plays the safer versions of many songs, regardless of whether its the same version as airs on Radio Disney.

Perhaps record companies simply call the cleaned-up versions of songs the "RD version," knowing Radio Disney airplay sells a lot of music to pre-teens? Or am I thinking too hard here?

Last edited:
Disney used to play SOME old top40 songs but they had to be clean and pass major checks before making it to the air.....however, if any editing was more than one word or two on older songs, it would not get air play..Currents could play if they could be easily "cleaned"..(I know...I was there for the first 2 years of RD)....remember "Do the Bartman"?? The word "damned" was edited out (Lisa playing that damned saxaphone)...the song was a hit on CHR stations and fit the age range RD was going after...so it HAD to be edited...heavy rap and similar songs that were suggestive or even HINTED at sex or anything adult was merely not played...so a lot of Disney done music by its artist (Hanna Montana at the time, Selena Gomez, etc) were heavily played (Radio Disney was NOT really in competition with other formats...it was an outlet and promotion stage for Disney products itself...anyone who thought otherwise had the WRONG impression)...

The Radio Disney affiliate in Cleveland (AM 1260 WWMK) recently sold and became WCCR AM 1260 The Rock, a Catholic talk radio station affiliated with EWTN Radio. As far as my knowledge, the only OTA Radio Disney affiliate remaining is KDIS AM 1110 in Los Angeles.

On the topic of Radio Disney's playlist, a relative of mine recently posted on Facebook that she's heard the network play "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding and questioned the appropriateness of that song playing on that station. At first, when I looked up the lyrics, I didn't think there was anything inappropriate about it, but then I found out the song is from the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. But when you think about it, do you really think the kids listening to Radio Disney are going to know that song is from that movie?

The Radio Disney affiliate in Cleveland (AM 1260 WWMK) recently sold and became WCCR AM 1260 The Rock, a Catholic talk radio station affiliated with EWTN Radio. As far as my knowledge, the only OTA Radio Disney affiliate remaining is KDIS AM 1110 in Los Angeles.

On the topic of Radio Disney's playlist, a relative of mine recently posted on Facebook that she's heard the network play "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding and questioned the appropriateness of that song playing on that station. At first, when I looked up the lyrics, I didn't think there was anything inappropriate about it, but then I found out the song is from the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. But when you think about it, do you really think the kids listening to Radio Disney are going to know that song is from that movie?

1260 WSDZ in St Louis is still Radio Disney with no buyer in sight..

KMIK 1580 Phoenix was just sold to yet another religious outfit, but the deal isn't done. RD is still being aired on the frequency.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom