Any Hot AC's still playing 80s music?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Hot AC's still playing 80s music?

Any Hot AC's still playing 80s music?

Though 80s titles have become too old to play on Hot AC stations, are there any out there that still include said titles? Also, how many Hot ACs are starting to drop even 90s titles?

There is a debate about whether WLNK Charlotte NC is actually Hot AC.

However, they seem to be playing a lot more of the music that distinguishes hot AC from AC lately.

KLAK (97.5) plays a fair amount of 80s music mixed in with a fairly Hot ACish selection of current music. They're primarily a Sherman/Denison, TX station, but also do get into the North Dallas suburbs like McKinney, Frisco, and Plano.

WREO out of Ashtabula, OH plays a lot of 80s in its mix of 80s-now playlist. They also play a lot of pop and rock songs that never hit the Hot AC chart.

Quote Originally Posted by chrocket87 View Post
    WREO out of Ashtabula, OH plays a lot of 80s in its mix of 80s-now playlist. They also play a lot of pop and rock songs that never hit the Hot AC chart.
    This station is not Hot AC, if what I've heard in the last half hour is any indication. It's a small town AC, not very well programmed from a larger market standpoint but it could just be what Ashtabula needs.

WXCV 95.3/ Homosassa, Fl will still sprinkle in an occasional U2 or Cure song, usually "With or Without You" or "Lovesong". Station is a Cumulus Hot AC affiliate, only deviating from said playlist during request hour.

However that is so rare I probably wouldn't count that.

A correction to the above. While WLNK was playing a lot of 80s music on Sunday evenings, which was not necessarily a true representation of what they do, a billboard now says "90s to Now".

KCAR, a relatively new Hot AC in Joplin, Missouri mixes in some '80s music into their lineup.

WREO-FM in Ashtabula is about an hour west of me. They do play some titles occasionally that have me shake my head. I've heard O-o-h Child from Hall & Oates that I don't think anyone else plays anywhere.
    Former Radio DJ (25 years)
    Current: Full-Time Wedding & Event DJ Entertainer (20 years and counting )
    http://www.johngallagher.com

Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    KCAR, a relatively new Hot AC in Joplin, Missouri mixes in some '80s music into their lineup.
    I find Star 104.3 (KCAR) odd in ways. They now position as "Hits from the 90s to Now!" but I do hear an occasional 80s song spiked into the playlist. (And they exclusively use 80s songs as stream commercial fillers)

But as more Hot ACs are inching their power spin totals up, Star keeps theirs down.

Here's their playlist recently:

Ariana Grande- Problem
    Train- Hey Soul Sister
    Hozier- Take Me To Church
    Green Day- When I Come Around
    Maroon 5- Sugar
    Gnarls Barkley- Crazy
    Imagine Dragons- On Top of the World
    Gwen Stefani- Sweet Escape
    Lifehouse- Halfway Gone
    Andy Grammer- Honey I'm Good
    Meghan Trainor- Lips are Movin'

That's only one current in almost an hour. ("Sugar" is essentially a recurrent as it drops down the chart fast)

They're kind of hovering between Hot AC positioning with an AC playlist. Makes sense with CHR Powerhouse KSYN in market, and no AC in market since KJMK flipped from AC to Classic Hits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast