• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WROD,Daytona Beach Flips to Classic Rock

JPlainJohn

Frequent Participant
It's Official! At of 12:00 A.M. Jan 1,2015 WROD (104.7FM/1340 AM) Flips from OLDIES to CLASSIC ROCK with former WHOG (95.7) Personalities Frank & Tracy in the Morning,Gary Meade "The Mad Swede" and yours truly,Just Plain John rounding out the on-air line-up. WROD will be known as "The Rock Of Daytona".

Sounds like the fact you're on FM (with a TX) finally went to your heads. Rather than a existing as a lower power second classic rock station in the market, probably were better off staying with oldies or at least retooling towards a Classic Hits playlist. Oldies to Classic Rock is a change up that your normal listeners may find hard to handle. WROD = Rock Of Daytona... Catchy, but you weren't established as a rocker (and instead were MOR/Top 40/Nostalgia/Beautiful Music/Oldies) so that image is likely going to be a challenge to convey. Oldies...Classic Cars...Turkey Rod Run... Daytona. That's what I remember when I think of WROD.

I will say though, Facebook is always the first thing that takes a hit whenever a station changes format. Not always the first sign of a bad decision, but certainly a record of it once it's later realized.

Byron

So sad

I am a 30 year old women that loves oldies! I was so disappointed/ upset when I saw my station was gone! I searched through all of the stations thinking you moved, turns out we just have another sellout on our hands! Shame on you!

Anytime a station changes formats some folks are going to be upset...as far as Classic Rockers go WROD is going to be offering an eclectic mix not heard in most other markets-a lot of 70's & 80's as well as some 60's a lot of Classic Hits offerings are well as Classic Rock and much more Personality.We were having a lot of issues the way things were going and a limited number of options.Hopefully we can make a go of it this time around with the Ad Community and listeners upset about the changes being made by WHOG.A Lot of the Music is the Same that WROD had been playing.

Best of luck to you, John. I hope the new classic rock format on WROD-AM-FM works for you and generates the desired results the station owners are seeking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom