• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

cost

U

Unregistered

will Sirius--xm likely transition to internet radio &
eliminate costly satellite use in the future ?
And----why would people pay for sirius--xm when they
can use various internet radio sources instead?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should renew when the current sub expires. I haven't listened to satellite in over 60 days.

Seems to me their articles of incorporation state they are a satellite broadcasting company, and it compels them to use satellite as their system of delivery. Yes it's expensive, and they understood that 25 years ago. But it was a unique way of delivering audio content directly to receivers. So no, I don't see them do that. Currently over 21 million people pay for satellite. They key thing to know is you can receive satellite in places that don't have internet.

I would think that the #1 reason to have it is for areas that cell and radio are weak like hilly areas or for people that do a lot of driving. I hope that content would be the #2 reason. I get Siruis for free currently and there are some good stations but I can't bring myself to pay for it due to poor audio quality. If it was my only choice than yes I would pay. I would see no reason for them to be Internet only that would be dumb.

I don't see them abandoning their satellite delivery service. There's still a ton of value in that service to listeners in remote areas. While I love the streaming service while at home, on the go, it's sure is nice to turn the radio on and it's just there. Wish it sounded better though (via sat).

And----why would people pay for sirius--xm when they
can use various internet radio sources instead?

Lots of content in one place: Howard Stern, MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, legendary DJS & well known broadcasters like Cousin Brucie, Jim Ladd, Pat St. John, Meg Griffin, Chris Mad Dog Russo, Kid Kelley, The MTV VJs, etc.

Ray Dio

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom