• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio and the Internet/Social Media

A quick updated comment on this topic --

This morning Mark Simone referred to a video on his website (along with a laundry list of other stuff he slapped up there) about a reporter in New Jersey who faked a flooding report on the Today show while paddling a canoe in about 4 inches of water.

First of all, as probably most people would do, I didn't go to Simone's website but more quickly and directly Googled, "today show flood canoe" and immediately the YouTube video popped up. Funny. But what Simone had failed to mention is that the video was from 2005!

The idea of Simone's radio show (or WOR) trying to become a multi-media platform by trying to lure people to a website with unoriginal, stale content is ridiculous. It just takes away from the focus of the RADIO show.

It just takes away from the focus of the RADIO show.

Maybe. When you only have one way to tell a story, that's how you tell it. When you have other ways of telling the same story, you use those other ways. To ignore other technologies is crazy.

I understand your point about bringing up a ten year old story. I agree about that. But forcing radio into a hundred year old box because of your preference is unfair to radio. We have two generations of people, all of whom are younger than you, who grew up with video. Those are the people he's talking to.

Maybe. When you only have one way to tell a story, that's how you tell it.
But the key is, do you have a story to tell? In this case the answer in NO. There's no story. It's just a bunch of recycled stuff that's available all over the web.

I don't blame Simone or WOR for trying to stay current, but geez, do it right or don't do it. Otherwise you just look foolish.

And how much is a minute of WOR's time worth? Worth entertaining the audience? Yes, that builds audience. Worth selling to an advertiser? Yes, that generates revenue. Worth wasting on promoting a worthless website? Where's the value in that?

They got you to Google it, didn't they? They got you posting about it here, didn't they?

Being a performer is about getting the attention of the audience. He's obviously successful with you.

The idea of Simone's radio show (or WOR) trying to become a multi-media platform by trying to lure people to a website with unoriginal, stale content is ridiculous. It just takes away from the focus of the RADIO show.

Think about it this way... the subject of a news reporter or anchor faking the news is enormously topical today. It could be assumed that a talk show's audience would be engaged in the discussions about NBC's latest problem.

So Simone found a clip that demonstrates another example of scam reporting... the clip sounds almost ridiculous and is humorous in a slightly perverse way. So what if it is old? It illustrates the point.

As BigA says, most of the sales demo generations are used to multitasking. And many who are out of the demo. For example, I wonder how many, like myself, had the tablet or laptop with them watching the Grammy Awards and looking up each artist, checking their bio, viewing their other awards, even looking at celebritynetworth.com to see how much more money they all had than I do!

I remember laughing at stations that would not allow mentions of TV shows on the air or which would not give away TV sets. How did that work out for radio?

David, the way Simone is handling this cross-promotion is no different from when Hannity devoted entire pre-TOH segments of his radio show listing the guests who were scheduled for his TV show. I don't think he does that anymore. It was simply BAD radio.

Simone making a quick reference to a historical clip on his website in conjunction with the Brian Williams story -- fine. But a laundry list of a bunch of junk that's not unique to the site -- no way. It's not only bad radio but, in advertising, making a promise and then not delivering on the promise can be counterproductive.

I'm referring to a very specific radio/website promotion here. Not saying Simone/WOR shouldn't do it -- just do it right.

Here's another perfect example of what I've been saying in this thread:

Vic Scelsa announced yesterday that he's retiring from WFUV and from radio in May after a 50 year career. This is all over the news (Google it) including the New York Times and WINS-AM, for example.

But you know where it isn't? You guessed it -- WFUV's website.

My point -- if a radio station wants to broaden its reach with the Internet or Social Media or whatever, do it right. Give listeners who land there some actual content. Don't just keep sending people to a stagnant site or a site with a bunch of links to somewhere else with no relevance to your RADIO content at the time.

BTW, Bloomberg is a company that actually does it right. They have a presence almost everywhere -- terrestrial radio, Sirius-XM, cable TV, Facebook, etc. plus an excellent website filled with ORIGINAL content, not just warmed over stuff that can be found all over the Web.

Yep, it's there now. Could have been a caching issue or possibly some items were posted last night but the site wasn't refreshed until this morning.

Look at the time stamps on the comments below the article. It's been on the site for over 14 hours, and other people were able to read it and comment.

Lots of fresh content on the site, especially since they're a non-profit college station without a lot of money.

Meanwhile Bloomberg was forced to change its source of pre-market data more than a week ago but the futures page on their website has yet to be updated. Futures quotes on Bloomberg radio are E-mini futures provided by CME Group -- the website page is broken. So there you go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom