• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Horrible thing happened on 1210 AM WPHT's Chris Stigall show

My god, that is unequivocally deplorable. He better get his ass booted NOW.

Let's get everyone to call the station and complain. Don't forget to flood Andy Bloom's email with negative comments. Also please boycott the station. Sorry I wasn't listening to that show when it happened, I was probably out enjoying life.

The "station" didn't tell him to do it. He tried to make a joke and it was horrible.

You know what's just as horrible? People who would try to get a man fired at Christmas time. Grow up.

My god, that is unequivocally deplorable. He better get his ass booted NOW.

You're not going to get his job.

Let's get everyone to call the station and complain. Don't forget to flood Andy Bloom's email with negative comments. Also please boycott the station. Sorry I wasn't listening to that show when it happened, I was probably out enjoying life.

I don't know if you meant this to be a commentary on the people outraged by this, but you hit the mark perfectly.

So a man who's paid to stir the pot on a daily basis does so. How is this (a) remotely newsworthy, or (b) somehow worthy of being fired?

So a man who's paid to stir the pot on a daily basis does so. How is this (a) remotely newsworthy, or (b) somehow worthy of being fired?

It's not really news worthy, except that people love to be outraged and the news loves to stir that outrage. It's not worth being fired, but again, anytime someone hears something they don't like the immediate thought in this day and age is "FIRE EVERYONE!"

A radio guy said something crass and insensitive about someone with cancer. Somehow this is worse than the actual cancer now. Because America is now full of narcissistic keyboard warriors who have to make everything about THEIR feelings.

Maybe this is not the way to get attention but nobody seems to know another way.

A few people can get away with being outrageous. Howard Stern. Mel Brooks. Parker and Stone. The rest of us can't.

Leave the air talent alone. Fire the suits.

Leave the air talent alone. Fire the suits.

Does Stigall have a history of saying outrageous things? When I lived in the listening area, I don't remember him being very controversial at all.

If the station is making money, I don't see a reason to fire anyone. Howard and Mel Brooks got away with what they did because it was in a time where people didn't think they had a right to not be offended. Social media fuels the outrage because everyone all of a sudden thinks their opinion matters. The South Park guys get away with it because cartoons can get away with more, somehow. It helps that they're equal opportunity offenders.

Ether way, WPHT 1210 AM is a joke of a radio station to let things like this happen.

Ether way, WPHT 1210 AM is a joke of a radio station to let things like this happen.

You do realize that management and air talent don't write scripts, right? This was an off the cuff remark that fell flat. Nothing more. It didn't hurt anyone, didn't incite violence and didn't slander anyone. It was a bad joke. That kind of thing happens on live radio.

What Chris Stigall said was unfortunate and he apologized.

Julius, why are you so obsessed with WPHT? Do you even work in radio? You've said you're not in WPHT's target demographic, you don't like the programming and you've also said you were too young to remember the station in its earlier incarnations. It's a radio station. If you don't like their programming, don't listen. That's fairly simple. There are plenty of radio stations you can listen to in Philadelphia or online that have programming you would enjoy.

What Chris Stigall said was unfortunate and he apologized.

Julius, why are you so obsessed with WPHT? Do you even work in radio? You've said you're not in WPHT's target demographic, you don't like the programming and you've also said you were too young to remember the station in its earlier incarnations. It's a radio station. If you don't like their programming, don't listen. That's fairly simple. There are plenty of radio stations you can listen to in Philadelphia or online that have programming you would enjoy.

I do remember listening to 1210 AM under WCAU during its final years. It was a far better radio station than what we are getting on the frequency right now.

OK, so you remember some of the previous format. That was more than 20 years ago. Stations change.
You're not the target demographic for the station and have said you don't like the programming. Why not just listen to another station? Why the never-ending obsession with WPHT?

OK, so you remember some of the previous format. That was more than 20 years ago. Stations change.
You're not the target demographic for the station and have said you don't like the programming. Why not just listen to another station? Why the never-ending obsession with WPHT?

You really are new here, or else you haven't been paying attention.

Julius, to make the Evangelist of News point:

I remember listening to NBC Radio's "Monitor" back in the late 1960's into the earlyi 70's. Ted Brown was my favorite Monitor host. WDEL, Wilmington's NBC radio affiliate then, aired the show as did WMUR in Manchester NH [while I was stationed in NH in the Air Force before going overseas].

So Julius, should I post a thread saying that NBC Radio, which now is part of Westwood One, should restart airing their old Monitor shows, or even start a new modern version of Monitor, and that WDEL should change its format and start airing Monitor again? That is essentially what you're saying here over and over again. Neither of us are the station's demo, so they truly don't care what of us think, they're doing what they believe will sell and make them money today in 2014-15, not what sold well 20-40 years ago.

Heck, I'd love to hear radio doing radio dramas again too, but let's face it that boat sailed off into the sunset when we were kids in the 1950's as CBS and NBC finally in the closed that part of radio history around 1958-60ish and accepted the fact that radio had to change, because TV had taken over being the story teller.

So while I totally understand your feelings about the old WCAU radio 121 as I used to like listening to those great talk shows there too [Jack McKinney's Night Talk, Dominic Quinn, Joel A. Spivak, etc], it just isn't going to happen. So if you truly can't stand 1210 WPHT then listen to something else, either on the radio or online.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

MikeFromDelaware (and Julius): Often things were not as you remember them. Things get colored by nostalgia and by time. I discovered the MonitorBeacon website (and I bought both of Dennis Hart's books on Monitor). Dennis Hart's site includes several Monitor airchecks. Some are "special" Monitor programs but a few are regular Monitor hours. I urge you to listen. In my opinion, the show is interesting but really doesn't hold up well. As I listened to later episodes, it becomes clear why almost all NBC affiliates had dropped the show before it ended production in 1975 (not sure when WDEL bailed out) and replaced it with NBC News and Information Service. The show now seems stodgy and often superficial. It's like a lot of old TV shows that just don't hold up when I see them years later (thanks to all those Oldies TV channels now).

As I listen to those old Monitor shows, three factors seem to have killed it: (1) They hired really good communicators with a proven ability to ad lib (news anchors, play by play sports broadcasters, game show hosts) and forced them to read from really inane scripts. (2) The music selection was terrible and not consistent with what affiliates (mostly full service MOR stations) played the rest of the week. (3) NBC wanted to keep network radio alive - not to help stations program weekends at lower cost. Pre-automation, stations still needed warm bodies to stay on the air. And the network really did not allow stations enough local avails or flexibility.

http://www.monitorbeacon.net/index.html

(Julius, I have to wonder how well those old WCAU talk shows would hold up, too.)

Monitor lives on in many ways: All Things Considered was directly patterned after Monitor. So was CNN (when they aren't doing talk shows) and the long form CBS All News format (not the bastardized form of the Group W format KYW uses nor the bad attempt to copy it by WILM).

Old Time Radio is available on the Internet and the BBC still has several "programmes" of radio drama in production and airing on Radio 4. You can hear them online.

Evangelist: One recurring joke on "The Big Bang Theory" is Sheldon will make some comment and Penny (newer to the group than the rest) will ask him about it and everybody else tries to stop her - and then just groans in resignation, know her question will trigger one of Sheldon's ridiculous rants. This is what happens anytime somebody new responds to one of Julius' comments about 1210 AM. Please don't feed the bears.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom