• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Waky - fm

Tonight I heard the legal ID on 103.5 and they now say WAKY-FM.I'm not sure how things work but doesn't adding the "FM" mean that there is or will be a WAKY AM?

Not necessarily. There are lots of stations out there that choose to throw in the "-FM" or "-AM" suffix in legal IDs even if no other station exists that shares the same call letters with it on the other band. Don't know why, but they do.

Not necessarily. There are lots of stations out there that choose to throw in the "-FM" or "-AM" suffix in legal IDs even if no other station exists that shares the same call letters with it on the other band. Don't know why, but they do.
It's just strange to me that WAKY added the FM to their ID after about 7 years.

I just looked at StreamingRadioGuide.com and WAKY 103.5 changed to WAKY-FM on December 3rd.They were WAKY since May 11,2007. There has to be a reason for the change after so much time. I'm thinking that since W&B recently bought 620 AM that 620 might become WAKY?

Thgere actually is no -AM suffix as far as the FCC is concerned.... so WABC-AC... WOR-AM isnt technically legal, but no ones going to split hairs over it. Try and find an AM in the FCC database licensed with a -AM Suffix, you wont.

Noticed tonight that WAKY has switched from ABC News to Fox News Radio. But after the news was the same "ABC News was sponsered by..." OOPS :)

I just looked at StreamingRadioGuide.com and WAKY 103.5 changed to WAKY-FM on December 3rd.They were WAKY since May 11,2007. There has to be a reason for the change after so much time. I'm thinking that since W&B recently bought 620 AM that 620 might become WAKY?

I was right :)

Have they added the AM and the translator to the Legal ID?
As far as I know,they don't ID the translator.But I noticed that all mention of 103.5 is gone from the ID's and jingles.The only time they mention 103.5 is in reference to their website 1035WAKY.com
After the TOH news they ID as "This is the legendary WAKY-FM Radcliff/Louisville" (no mention of 103.5) and then they play the old "WAKY Louie-ville Kentucky" jingle. So I guess that covers all the bases except for the translator. Maybe there's a seperate ID on there? I'll check to find out.

Last edited:
For the past two days I have listened to the 100.1 channel and in the car I get better reception downtown than I did on 103.5 probably because of 103.9 on the PNC tower.
Then at home, 100.1 comes in well on my good receiver with a good antenna. On other radios its noisy. Then again I live in the east end and 103.1 probably is the problem there.

AM, FM or internet WAKY is becoming a J-O-K-E! The addition of 80's music blows me away. You can get away with a few but The Lady In Red by Chirs DeBurgh!!!!! Whitesnake Here I Go Again!!!! Unacceptable.

For the past two days I have listened to the 100.1 channel and in the car I get better reception downtown than I did on 103.5 probably because of 103.9 on the PNC tower.
Then at home, 100.1 comes in well on my good receiver with a good antenna. On other radios its noisy. Then again I live in the east end and 103.1 probably is the problem there.
I work downtown near the Yum! Center and 100.1 sounds much better in my car than 103.5 does.Even in the garage I park in, the 100.1 signal is strong.
At home in Okolona I have to adjust the antenna on my stereo to get 100.1,but it's strong and clear on my clock radio.

It has been fun listening to 620 as a "novelty," especially when they play something from the post-AM music era, but I'm sure that'll pretty much be completely ignored as it only exists as a loophole so that 100.1 can legally be a translator. But I have to say that it is sort of nice to be able to finally put a third preset on my AM stations on my car, up until now my AM presets have just been 840 (never listened but kept it on there for the obligatory weather/traffic) and 1270 (WXGO, the classic hits station out of Madison, IN that sometimes comes in during the daytime).

AM, FM or internet WAKY is becoming a J-O-K-E! The addition of 80's music blows me away. You can get away with a few but The Lady In Red by Chirs DeBurgh!!!!! Whitesnake Here I Go Again!!!! Unacceptable.

That's just the natural evolution of classic hits. In the 1990s, it was 50s/60s/early 70s (which WAKY still sticks to on weekends). In the 2000s, it was 60s/70s/early 80s. Now in the 2010s, it is 70s/80s, and even some 90s is creeping in (not quite at WAKY yet though). I've actually been hearing stuff like Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, and Hootie and the Blowfish pop up on other classic hits stations, and some of that material is even from the 00s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom