• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fox News May Disappear from Dish

Well, the Dittoheads still have right-wing talk radio.

Or maybe they should be required to watch MSNBC so they can really get some "balance."

Well, the Dittoheads still have right-wing talk radio.

Or maybe they should be required to watch MSNBC so they can really get some "balance."

You mean The Apology Network? More apologies for insults and lack of civility than everyone else combined. Wouldn't call that balance.

Dear God, why should anyone be subjected to watch MSNBC? FOX News might not be an example of excellent jouanlism, but it has a big audience and those people have the right to watch the channel wherever they want. It's not like DIsh is threatening to pull some obscure channel like, I dunno, HD Net Movies. And considering they're raising the bills anyways...

It's that thar dang vast libbrul conspiracy! (Led by Rupert Murdoch wanting to stuff his pockets with still more moolah...)

Perhaps. Perhaps.

Anyway, "poof." They gone, bye bye. As of late Saturday night the clock started just as dish replaced Fox News (205) with The Blaze and Fox Business (206) with CNBC until further notice.

Personally, I won't miss either of them, but a lot of people certainly will.

BTW: Joe Clayton (dish CEO) is appearing in a brief looped spot on channel 204 which will run for a day or two at least - and he's not saying "Merry Christmas" or standing under the mistletoe.

Last edited:
I might be missing something really obvious, but if Fox News is so desperate to stay on satellite, why don't they just broadcast in the clear on satellite just as Sky News does here?

I might be missing something really obvious, but if Fox News is so desperate to stay on satellite, why don't they just broadcast in the clear on satellite just as Sky News does here?

Because these carriage squabbles never have anything to do with good intentions but rather hold the cable/sat provider ransom until the programmer shakes a few more dollars from your pocket.

Lather.Rinse.Repeat.

I'm sure that Dish Network would be glad to broadcast Fox News in the clear, with no money exchanging hands. But the fact is, it's one of the Fox channels that charges high fees to cable/satellite providers for carriage. Why would Fox offer their network for free, when all other providers pay?

The US doesn't have satellite like Europe or the UK. In the US it's pretty much all subscription (Direct TV or Dish Network). There are people who have KU band satellite for foreign language (some subscription, some free to air) or religious channels (free to air) but it's a tiny number compared to Direct TV/Dish Network. There are also some people who still have the big C-band dishes, but again a tiny number.

I smell funny numbers.

Let's do a little math. DISH has 14 million subscribers, about 1/7 of the total Pay TV market. FOX News has about 1.7 million viewers per Nielsen.
If a DISH viewer is assumed to be equally likely to watch FOX News as any other company's subscriber, that should mean that FOX News has about 240,000 viewers who are also DISH subscribers.

A third of all Dish FOX News viewers have switched to another provider in two weeks? I call BS.

I smell funny numbers.

Let's do a little math. DISH has 14 million subscribers, about 1/7 of the total Pay TV market. FOX News has about 1.7 million viewers per Nielsen.
If a DISH viewer is assumed to be equally likely to watch FOX News as any other company's subscriber, that should mean that FOX News has about 240,000 viewers who are also DISH subscribers.

A third of all Dish FOX News viewers have switched to another provider in two weeks? I call BS.

The article only says that Dish lost 90,000 subscribers in the time since they dropped Fox. The implication is that it was because they dropped Fox. I don't know what Dish's normal church rate is. The article doesn't say. Maybe 90,000 is their normal churn. Maybe all that happened was that their churn rate increased. They also reported 350,000 complaint calls.

The important thing to take away is not the precise quantity of what Dish lost. The important thing is that Dish got complaints and lost some subscribers. Has anyone seen any articles claiming that anyone switched to Dish from some other supplier as a result of dropping Fox?

Fox News Back On Dish Network

Here's the release:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and NEW YORK, Jan. 15, 2015 – DISH Network L.L.C. and FOX News Network, L.L.C. announced today that they have reached a multi-year agreement for carriage of FOX News Channel and FOX Business Network. These channels are now available to DISH customers with qualifying programming packages.

Tim Carry, FOX News and FOX Business executive vice president of distribution, and Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of programming jointly stated:

“We thank the viewers of FOX News and FOX Business and DISH customers for their patience throughout this process.”

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/fox-news-back-dish-network-1201351186/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom