• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Thoughts?

Well, yes. I'm surprised that KKGQ would bring back the Rhythmic AC format (January 1, 2015). Only time will tell if this one fares better than its predecessor (KMXW) did.

CalebC: Thanks for keeping the Kansas portion up to date.

On the border between Kansas and Oklahoma I end up following both sections.

Though our format is Regional Hispanic, I did play AC/Classic Rock/Modern Country blend for over 6 months with good effect. Not sure of the audience in Wichita, RE: AC format.

Guymon and Liberal liked my format enough to have businesses tuned all day and some requests to advertise with us without a sales team beating the streets. (the mixed content format before going Hispanic)

Personally I can only stand so much AC format, so if KKGQ stays AC, they will have to have a good selection to keep my radio tuned there when I visit Wichita. Any thoughts on how long they will keep that format in Wichita?

My main employer is now a Mexican station, and with just about 72% Hispanic population that means our market is decent here. Yes, I would prefer either country or rock, but I will do my best for this station.

We are down for a bit... Challenges of the weather in this region.

Replacing lightning damaged 12 bay antenna here now. 99.5Mhz.

Lost the lightning rod a few inches at a time, then the power line feeding the heaters was hit and melted, and then another strike hit before anything could be done and made swiss cheese of the antennas everywhere the heater's power cable was touching after the previous strike. No good. (Now have owner's OK to call the tower guy directly any time I believe we need an inspection or repairs)

Looks like we lost a cap in the LPF too.

Another station near here has similar damages, though is still on the air at about 90% power, pending the tower guy identifying what needs replacement ~450' up their tower. (I don't go much over 100' if I can help it)

Missing the Las Vegas, NV area, where wind damage is much more likely than lightning, even at ~8,000'...

Looking at getting an ERI 1105 to replace our Armstrong 727 series setup. (Anyone think it isn't an equal or better antenna?)

Not trying to hijack the thread, main intent is to thank the OP for the regional update on what's going on.

Thanks again,
Aaron

Last edited:
Personally, I can't stand the station. I've tried giving it as much attention as possible, (I'm completely burned out on KDGS, thought Q92 would give me some hope in Wichita radio, I was wrong) but they just aren't exciting. The advertisers definitely aren't paying any attention. They don't air anything but a couple commercials. If I had to guess, they won't last long. No problem on keeping the board up to date. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm the only one in the state still browsing through this website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom