• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations airing little or no news programming 12/24 or 12/25

crainbebo

Walk of Fame Participant
What stations in your market are going to either let some of the anchors off for the holiday, or all of them off for the holiday?

The situation in Seattle:
KING-5: No 4PM newscast 12/24, airing "A Hollywood Christmas at the Grove" instead with Nancy O'Dell.
No morning newscast at all 12/25 - airing "Meet the Press Remembers The First Ladies" at 4:30AM, Horizons of the Spirit at 5AM and the Children's Medical Center Holiday Parade from Dallas at 6AM.
No noon newscast, airing "Take a Moment" at noon instead (not sure what the program is about).
"Hot for the Holidays" airs at 4PM 12/25 replacing the newscast. 5PM and 6:30-7:30PM, and 11PM newscast still goes on 12/25.

KOMO-4: Half-hour 4PM newscast instead of one hour 12/24 - "Problem Solvers Gift of Giving" airs at 4:30.
6PM is half-hour, airing "Problem Solvers Investigates" as well.
No morning 12/25 - 5AM is "Peace on Earth" and 6AM is Byron Allen's "Happy Holidays America" syndicated special.
NBA takes over the 4PM newscast, and no 6PM news at all 12/25, airing "Problem Solvers Investigates" instead. 5PM and 11PM are still going on 12/24 and 12/25.

KIRO-7: No newscast changes on both days.

KONG-16: Hollywood Christmas Parade replaces the 7-9AM newscast 12/25.
Dallas Health Christmas Parade airs 9PM 12/24 - usually a newscast here.
Hot for the Holidays 9PM 12/25. 10PM newscast is intact both nights.

KCPQ-13: Yule Log replaces morning newscast 12/25.
KCPQ is awesome on 12/25! All trash talk and newscasts between 9AM-6PM are taken over by classic TV shows from Antenna TV. Mr. Ed, All in the Family, Diff'rent Strokes, etc. Blast from the past.

No changes to KZJO's schedule, except Yule Log 9-11AM 12/25.

-crainbebo

I must plead ignorance and apathy. I don't know and I don't care. Like most people, I have no intention of watching TV news on the 12th or the 25th, so it doesn't matter to me at all if they have news shows or not.

In Los Angeles, both KTLA and KCAL with have dueling Yule Logs from 4am to 11 am (KTLA will get it's music from IHEART'S KOST, while KCAL will get it's soundtrack from sister outlet KRTH) KTLA will have classic sitcoms from it's Anntenna TV sub channel, while KCAL sticks to regular save some rather dated specials; Gospel-Fest, African American Short Film Festival, and Funniest Pets and People, replacing it's Noon, 2 and 4 pm Newscasts.

WESH - no 5 AM, Noon, or 4 PM newscasts, normal syndicated programming

WKMG - no morning newscast, normal syndicated and network programming

WFTV - no 4, 5, 5:30, and 6 PM newscasts, normal syndicated programming (except for Family Feud and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) (due to NBA)

WKCF - normal news and programming

WOFL - normal news and programming

WRBW - normal programming

Are there any stations dumping overnight programming for the Yule Log, from say 11:35pm 12/24 to 7am 12/25?

I see that the CW Plus small-market network will dump all the overnight (11PM 12/24-8AM 12/25) programming and infomercials for "Holiday Hearth" (aka Yule Log). Antenna TV has about 4 or 5 hours of a Yule log in the morning. Holiday Hearth used to be on back in the WB 100+ days as well. A few around dumping all overnight normal shows for syndicated Christmas specials, I know WKYC-3 Cleveland is one example. They will air the Rome Christmas Eve Mass (from NBC), then "The Story of the First Noel" 1AM-3AM, World's Funniest Moments Christmas 3-4AM, "Sending You a Little Christmas" 4-5, Horizons of the Spirit 5-6AM (another NBC-station special), and then Spirit of Christmas 6-7AM before joining NBC for Today. No morning news, no "Early Today".

-crainbebo

KDAF is dumping most of their syndicated programming on Christmas day and will air classic shows from the Antenna TV library.

KTXA is taking it to the next level by airing a 22 hour-long Yule Log.

WMYT Charlotte NC (My Network) has a Yule Log during the holidays. I was fortunate I recorded it so I would have music to listen to while taking down the tree, although if I do that on Christmas I can just leave the clock radio in the kitchen on after the time when it would normally turn itself off. I like this music better. But they added music I didn't like last year, so I didn't delete the old Yule Log.

This wasn't the big day, but WBTV used to have three people come in to do the news during the station's Christmas party. Bob Taylor did sports back in the 70s. Jim Patterson, who did the weather, died in an accident in the late 80s so I know this was before that. And I forget who did the news. Jim really shouldn't have done this, but it was nice of him. He was the kind of guy you want at your parties, with the perfect personality (and weight) to be Santa.

Okay, I had to read it a couple of times. I do realize what our "vchimp" is trying to say, but I just have to ask...

Jim Patterson, who did the weather, died in an accident in the late 80s so I know this was before that. And I forget who did the news. Jim really shouldn't have done this, but it was nice of him.

Nice of him? What was nice of him? Dying?

(Full disclosure: My dad taught English. Sentence structure is a bit of a pet peeve.)

Last edited:
Probably nice for him to take the day off on Christmas to be with family.
WTVY 4 Dothan AL will be without Christmas Day news at all, even at 10PM. WBKO 13 Bowling Green, KY also without news, airing "WBKO Family Christmas" at 10PM instead of news, and NBA obviously replacing 6pm.

-crainbebo

Slightly off-topic, but...

SEC Network Warms Up Christmas Morning with Yule Log and Fight Songs

While stockings are hung by the chimney with care, a Yule Log with fight songs on SEC Network will air.

On Christmas morning, from 6 -10 a.m. ET, SEC Network will warm up any living room with a fireplace featuring a burning blaze, accompanied by a playlist of Southeastern Conference college fight songs and holiday music.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...istmas-morning-with-yule-log-and-fight-songs/

Okay, I had to read it a couple of times. I do realize what our "vchimp" is trying to say, but I just have to ask...

Nice of him? What was nice of him? Dying?

(Full disclosure: My dad taught English. Sentence structure is a bit of a pet peeve.)
I also am really picky about sentence structure but I see your point.

Jim really shouldn't have done this, but it was nice of him to do the weather rather than be Santa at the party.
Probably nice for him to take the day off on Christmas to be with family.
Or, like you say, spend time with his family. Or even his TV family. He wasn't taking the day off to do this, though. And it wasn't the big day, but another day.

Last edited:
If anyones interested in the UK situation on Christmas Day

BBC 1- has three news bulletins of 5- 10 mins in length, lunch, early evening and late evening. Normally they would each be half an hour in length

BBC 2- no news on Christmas Day. The 'serious' news progamme 'Newsnight' doesn't return until New Year

ITV - three 10 minute news bulletins, lunch, early and late evening, again they would normally be half an hour or so each

Channel 4- no news on Christmas Day , normally has 1 hour news bulletin at 7pm

Channel 5- no news on Christmas Day, normally has 3 half hour bulletins a day,.

Just checked the 24th , and it looks as though news bulletins on BBC1 and ITV are cut to 10-15 minutes on Christmas Eve as well, with no news on channels 4 and 5

So it's a very reduced picture on the main progamming channels. Obviously the 24 hr news channels plough on through.

Last edited:
Situation in France and Germany:
- TF1: Normal
- France 2: Normal
- France 3: Normal
- Canal+: Normal but without Midday newscast
- M6: Normal
- ARD: News bulletins on Christmas Eve at 9am, 12:10, 3:10pm, 4:10pm, 8pm, On Christmas Day and Boxing Day at 9am, 12pm, 2:10pm, 5:15pm, 6:55pm. 10 minute main News at 8pm on Christmas Day. Normal 8pm news on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. No Tagesthemen or Nachtmagazin - replaced with 5-10 minute Tagesschau.
- BFS: No news at 4:45pm on Christmas Eve. Main News as normal. No Rundschau Magazin or Rundschau Nacht on Christmas Eve. No Rundschau Nacht on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- MDR: No news bulletins except for the Main news. Main news at 7:30pm reduced to 15 minutes on Christmas Eve.
- ZDF: No Morgenmagazin. News bulletins on Christmas Eve at 10:55am, 4:30pm, and 11:15pm, On Christmas Day at 10:40am, 12:30pm, 4:20pm and 11:20pm, On Boxing Day at 10:35am, 1:30pm and 11:45pm. Main news on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day reduced to 15 minutes, on Christmas day reduced to 8 minutes.
- RTL: No GMD or Punkt 12. The Main news at 6:45pm as normal. No Nachtjournal.
- Sat.1: No news bulletins during the Breakfast show (which is also canceled). Main news as normal.
- Pro7: Main News at 6:20pm on Christmas Eve, On Christmas Day at 5:40pm and on Boxing Day at 5:30pm.
- Kabel 1: Main News at 4:10pm on Christmas Eve, On Christmas Day at 4:15pm and on Boxing Day at 3:05pm.
- RTL 2: As normal
- Vox: No news
- Arte: As normal

And if anyone cares about Argentina, all the midnight news will be pre-empted on December 24th on the five OTA networks (América, Canal 7, Canal 9, Telefe and Artear) but on December 25th everything will be as normal, including the early morning news. The 6 cable news channels will resort to play music specials during the Christmas Eve night.

Yakima/Tri-Cities
KIMA/KEPR - Normal on 12/25! I'm shocked. Little region of 150-200,000 in a 100-mile range and still making anchors work at 5AM Christmas Day. No special programming on KIMA at all except for the CBS national "Christmas at the Cathedral" program Xmas Eve.
KAPP/KVEW - Nothing! "America This Morning" goes until 7AM replacing Good Morning NW. The Middle replaces 5PM, an infomercial replaces 6:30, Extra! starts at 11PM instead of 11:05.
KNDO/KNDU - No morning newscast. Sports Stars of Tomorrow (E/I syndicated) replaces 4:30, NBC Christmas Liturgical at 5AM, "Happy Holidays America" (Byron Allen) at 6AM. Rest is normal.
KCYU/KFFX - "Fox First at Ten" airs as normal 12/24 and 12/25.

These stations could have just aired a bunch of the syndicated holiday shows like "A Hollywood Christmas at the Grove" and the Children's Medical Center parade from Dallas. I'm surprised they are not. KIMA is acting like it's a normal workday.

And then, in Portland
KATU - No news at all until 11PM on Christmas Day. Normal 12/24. MyDestination.TV/San Antonio Holiday River Parade/Happy Holidays America replaces 4:30-7AM, MyDestination.TV replaces 5PM, and a "KATU Problem Solvers" special at 6PM.
KOIN - Normal completely, even 4:30AM newscast still on the air 12/25.
KGW - Only news is 5PM and 11PM. Morning is replaced with Northwest Backroads, NBC Liturgical and a "Grant's Getaways Special" at 6AM. Northwest Backroads (Grant Goodeve) airs at noon, the Grant's Getaways Special replays again at 4PM. Oregon History Makers, "Your Heroes" and Northwest Backroads replace 6-7:30PM news block.
KPTV - 10PM news is only 1/2 hour 12/24 with the Les Schwab Toy Drive special airing at 10:30 and "Fox 12: Hey Do My Job!" at 11PM. Hot for the Holidays replaces 6PM news 12/24. On 12/25, Yule Log, Hot for the Holidays, Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice, and Joy to the World replace "Good Day Oregon." The Les Schwab Toy Drive special airs at 5:30PM 12/25, Joy to the World at 6PM replacing the 6PM newscast. Later on, there's a special called "First. Live. Local. Weather" at 10:30, and Fox 12 Health Watch at 11PM 12/25.
KPDX - Newscasts cancelled 12/24 and 12/25. 8PM is "Joy to the World" and 9PM 12/24 is "Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice." 12/25, KPDX will air "A Christmas Wedding Date," a 2012 TV-movie with Marla Sokoloff.
KRCW - Syndicated "Eye Opener" program is replaced at 6AM by the Yule Log, many classic TV shows air throughout the day to 6PM 12/25. KGW 10PM newscast airs as normal.

-crainbebo

Connecticut:

WFSB Channel 3 the Merideth Owned CBS Station. - Morning News Starts at 5AM Thursday 12/25 instead of at 4:30AM. No News at 5PM & 5:30PM. Replaced by a 2nd Best of Better Connecticut. News will air as scheduled at Noon (possibly), 6PM, and 11PM.

WTNH Channel 8 the Lin TV Owned ABC Station. - No Morning News or Noon News. No News at 5, 530, or 6 either due to an NBA Double Header. News will air as scheduled at 11PM.

WVIT Channel 30 the NBC O&O - No Morning News 4:30-7AM. No Late Morning News 11AM-Noon. No news at 5PM or 5:30PM. News will air as scheduled at 6PM & 11PM.

WTIC-TV Channel 61 the Tribune owned FOX station. Looks like all their news is in tact. 4AM-10AM, 4PM-6PM, and 10PM-11:30PM.

Side Note: WCCT-TV Channel 20 sister station of WTIC-TV will be simulcasting Antenna TV Thursday Morning 4AM-5AM, 6AM-10AM (including Antenna TV's airing of The Yule Log), and 11AM-4PM. Why? I have no idea.

Found two ABCs without news entirely tomorrow evening:
KTWO 2 Casper, WY has no news at all; they are airing syndicated programs like "Mad About You" and "Dish Nation" in the usual news slots.
KLAX 31 Alexandria, LA has no news at all; NBA takes over most of it and the 10pm slot is "Sounds of the Holiday Season," where local school choirs sing holiday favorites. KALB-5 will have some news on Christmas however.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom