• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NY gets a new Exband AM

You need to do some research. In 1990 there were 4,987 AM stations in the USA. As of late 2009: 4,790. By late 2013: 4,728. I don't have 2014 totals, I've been told to expect at least another 14 deletions.

Given the combined realities of AM core audience reaching mortality and the one viable mainstream talk format; sports slowly migrating to FM, it is fair to expect the declines to accelerate.

LCG

There are far more viable AM formats than talk. Sports has only migrated in some markets, leaving many on AM. Religious options, of which there are many, both non-profit and commercial, are very viable as are ethnic formats in many markets. And in the smaller markets, AMs can still do community based programming with success.

Also note that quite a few of the station deletions in the last 15 years have been buy-to-shut-down transactions where turning off an AM allows another to improve its signal or coverage.

Of the rest, some have been stations that had to move and could not make their directional work at a new location or could not find a location. Others were stations that should never have existed anyway.

The FCC's current hold on new stations means that there are no stations replacing the numbers of stations lost.

Bought a cheap am/fm clock radio a year ago when mine died.. (it was 11yrs old ) This one is GPX model C222B made in China..has 1700 (cost about 10 bucks.)

Are there any open frequencies from 1610 AM to 1690 AM in the NYC area for new stations ?

You can check out this article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/06/should-am-radio-stations-get-a-10x-power-boost/ It is outdated, but the older numbers correspond to what I have.

The most direct quote that answers your question:
--------------------------------------------------------
"AM has, of course, been far outpaced by much clearer sounding FM. There were 6,479 commercial and 3,151 educational FM stations up and running as of that same date. To give you a sense of the change over time, back in 1990 there were 4,987 AM licenses, but only 4,392 commercial and 1,440 educational FM outlets. So over two decades the number of AM stations has dropped by more than 200, while the number of FM signals has almost doubled."
-------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned, I don't have the 2014 stats. But it is reasonable to expect that things have continued apace.

LCG

Are there any open frequencies from 1610 AM to 1690 AM in the NYC area for new stations ?

In theory, there are no open frequencies anywhere in the US for the X-Band. SInce the original allocations, there have only been a couple of changes which came from a few stations that decided not to build their X-Band CP or from one or two that applied for amendments to the original allocation table.

So over two decades the number of AM stations has dropped by more than 200, while the number of FM signals has almost doubled."

Keep in mind that the FM increase is due mostly to Docket 80-90, which dramatically increased the number of FM allocations. There was not much that could be done with AM, as the laws of physics pretty much limit the addition of any new facilities on the band other than in very remote parts of the country.

If the FCC had made available another 5000 AM licenses, those would have been applied for and, in 99% of cases, built back in the 90's.

WRCR has said on the air they are trying for the goal of early Feburary for the station to sign on 1700. I been listening on 1700 and there's a station on 1700 AM in South Queens JFK Highway advisory Radio Station KNAA 585. It seems WRCR is testing as I'm hearing breaks in the broadcast over the JFK station. I was told by the National Radio Club that the JFK will need to move to another frequency because of interference it may cause.

In theory, there are no open frequencies anywhere in the US for the X-Band. SInce the original allocations, there have only been a couple of changes which came from a few stations that decided not to build their X-Band CP or from one or two that applied for amendments to the original allocation table.

Well, there are open frequencies...but to get one allocated is the problem......ONe EX band in Atlanta TX, the ONLY 1610 ever allocated, did not last long and the allocation was deleted...so there are NO 1610s anywhere in the US (I mean Broadcast stations, not HAR/TIS!)... ANY full service AM has priority over secondary service stations as such so the 1700 TIS will have to move..

I'm wondering if they are testing but not at the full power of 10,000 Watts...anyone in the Rockland County, New York area hear any testing on 1700 AM yet ?

I'm near the JFK station in South Queens...I thought i heard WRCR testing on 1700 a few days ago...during the test i didn't hear the JFK station that good.

TIS is a secondary service. They either accept what interference they get or file for a change in facilities.

I wonder how this will affect the TIS stations at JFK and Westchester County Airport as well as Manville, NJ, Newark Airport and Lyndhurst, NJ and CLARK, NJ all on 1700?

I also found this link of the following info that comments on the issues directly for the JFK etc. stations directly. I didn’t know that it also effects stations that are 1690 AM.
Some information stations on AM 1700 in the larger circled area will receive interference from WRCR. Certain stations on AM 1690 within the inner circle may receive interference as well. The likelihood of interference is increased the closer to the center of the circle(s) the information station is located.
WRCR Radio, which has operated in Spring Valley, New York, on the 1300 frequency for decades, has been issued a permit by the FCC allowing it to kick up its power twenty-fold to 10,000 watts and to shift frequencies to the top of the band. Some area information stations on AM 1700 and 1690, which are secondary in priority, must make way.

Affected will be stations operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey at Kennedy Airport and the Port of Newark, Westchester County Airport and various communities in Northern New Jersey. The Township of Clark, New Jersey, which has been licensed on the 1700 frequency since just after the attacks of 9/11/2001, has already undertaken a frequency search and applied for an alternate AM frequency in preparation.

http://www.theradiosource.com/articles/news-2014-dec.htm

I just love the title of the article (Can we say biased??)....not!....TIS stations know they operate as secondary services and can be forced to move or go dark at any time a full service broadcast station makes a change...
Sorry but they don't get sympathy from me

Just to note there are station s being heard from NYC on these Xband frequencies

Just read that WRCR 1700 will be broadcasting in HD as well as AM Analog. Is it possible to do both on the same frequency ? Will having HD limit the signal ?
[

Yes, it is possible. It does not limit the analog signal, although it is necessary to restrict the audio bandwidth to 5k to 6 k to avoid the digital and analog signals interfering.

1700 kHz at the Verrazano Narrows Bridge

MTA Bridges and Tunnels recently fired up a TIS station at 1700 kHz...WRCR must be testing, because I heard a nasty heterodyne the other day when I did my periodic listen.

BTW- I cannot find a license in the database for the Verrazano bridge TIS, and they do not announce a call sign either.

I also noticed that the MTA recently installed signs stating that motorists should tune to 1700 on the SI side of the bridge. We'll see how well that works...

btw, what is the purpose of the TIS station on 1700 AM ? I only hear a loop with id for the station and a thank you for lettings us serve you.

MTA Bridges and Tunnels recently fired up a TIS station at 1700 kHz...WRCR must be testing, because I heard a nasty heterodyne the other day when I did my periodic listen.

BTW- I cannot find a license in the database for the Verrazano bridge TIS, and they do not announce a call sign either.

I also noticed that the MTA recently installed signs stating that motorists should tune to 1700 on the SI side of the bridge. We'll see how well that works...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom