• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

UPS battery testers

Unplug or trip the input breaker to the UPS, and you will quickly see if they are any good.

I had a delivery today. I asked the guy to test my batteries but he had no idea what I was talking about.

batt tester

If you have a DC to AC power inverter, simply pug in a nice heavy load like a 100w light bulb or more or something the inverter can handle, and run it off the 12v battery. That generally works pretty good as a go-no-go test. If the batteries are over 3, they are on borrowed time anyway and should be replaced.

Honestly, if there's even a question, just chuck 'em and put new batts in. Don't be that cheap.

UPS batteries

At one point we took a board and mounted a number of light bulb sockets on it, all wired in parallel. You can screw in whatever total wattage you want up to the full load of the UPS. Plug it in and monitor the UPS and the time it holds the load. This of course does not test individual batteries, but does test the entire UPS and its capability easily. Only plug in what bulbs/wattage you want need to verify. If the UPS fails to meet the load for its intended time, then look into individual batteries, although I have seen a lot of UPS failures lately that all had good batteries. Internal circuit failures.

Rule of thumb has been 3 years max and replace....to test cuts into the total charge/recharge number.....BUT a cheap and effective tester?? Auto headlamps....can put a few in parallel and switch them in/out to add to the load...I remember having a new Exide closed gell-type bank installed at a PBX site...about 200amps per 2V battery...and one day, local power went out, but before the gen set could come up and take over, the battery bank died!!! so did the ROLM!!....and we were the electric company!! By the time I got to the site, found the charger was back up and showing a BIG draw...started measuring each 2V battery and sure enough, in the MIDDLE of the entire bank, one was showing 0.7 instead of 2.1V...removing it was a PITA as it weighed ~ 100lbs...but after I got the one bad one out, the jumpers were long enough to make the connection to the remaining..so we turned the charger down to 53 instead of 54.5 and it ran like that until the PBX was replaced with Cisco a couple of years ago..

>>>Unplug or trip the input breaker to the UPS, and you will quickly see if they are any good.<<<

You failed to mention that if you do this, you need to also put a load on your UPS. *That* particular load will then determine how long the UPS will supply backup power for. This is still not an efficient way of determining battery life for the next 6 months to year. A battery tester would give you a much better indication. Personally, I try to maximize my UPS batteries, if I don't, I can easily fill up landfills with the amount of UPS batteries I have changed in my lifetime. If you aren't already aware, almost all UPS battery chargers are not alike. Some charge batteries faster than others, which can also shorten battery life. In the past, I have kept logs for all of my UPS's, and have discovered that there is a huge time variation between UPS's, when it comes to battery changing intervals. Sure, if you've got one or two UPS's in your plant, it's probably not worth the time to test UPS batteries, however, if you've got 10 or more UPS's, you might save some money (and some landfill space) by testing batteries, to maximize their service of duty, before they are disposed of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom