• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Channel changes in Iowa

HawkeyeST

Frequent Participant
Antenna TV moving in eastern Iowa

When the Live Well Network ends in January 2015, it will be replaced by Antenna TV on KCRG 9.3, which begs the question: What will become of KWKB 20.2?

Auction bait. I could also see auction bait with its neighbor across the road. As in a shuffle with IPTV's channel 12, with it moving to one of the big sticks between CR and Waterloo, using a DA to protect ch. 12 at Mankato. IPTV's ch. 32 then becomes auction bait.

This is great news. KCRG 9.3 is already on Mediacom, which is the largest cable provider in the DMA. Mediacom has never carried KWKB 20.2, although they carry all of the other digital subchannels in the market.

When the Live Well Network ends in January 2015, it will be replaced by Antenna TV on KCRG 9.3, which begs the question: What will become of KWKB 20.2?

A better question would be: What will become of KWKB? Could it lose its CW affiliation as well? Its signal doesn't reach Waterloo, but it does cover the Quad Cities!
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1174463&map=Y

And here's their schedule. The 6pm and 10pm slots are marked "To Be Announced".
tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?stnNum=20766&channel=10&aid=tvschedule

Also, look at their owners - KM Communications. They owned a good number of stations - including some full-powers - before they got sold or left the air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KM_Communications_Inc.

Sounds like another candidate for "cursed" station...

(Crossposted to "Cursed TV Stations" thread)

MeTV is on the move in my area, too. WGAL's subchannel was first "Weather Plus", then became "ThisTV". At midnight on Monday, December 29, WGAL 8.2 became a "MeTV" affiliate. This is a great thing! The reason for that is because its old home was on WGCB, a small independent station in the market. Some of the MeTV shows aired on its main channel, but many were not shown because of its main programming. There *was* 49.2, which carried all MeTV programs, but unlike the main channels in the market, that subchannel wasn't carried at all. WGAL is our NBC affiliate, and according to the online guides, it is showing some MeTV programming on its main channel this coming Sunday aternoon. Hopefully that's not a misprint!

Speaking of LiveWell, that airs on 15.2 of our CW affiliate, WLYH. I'm curious to see what they may plug in there, if anything. It was previously "TheCoolTV". Antenna TV already has a home (at WPMT), as does Retro (at WHTM)..

According to northpine.com, Sioux City's KCAU-TV will no longer operate channel 9.2 after the Live Well Network goes off the air, following WHBF's lead from last year. Will WOI (also co-owned by Nexstar) follow suit?

Also, KCRG 9.3 plans to replace LWN with Antenna TV, which begs the question: What will become of KWKB 20.2?

When Nexstar dropped Live Well on WAVN ABC 24 in Memphis and WJKT Fox 16 in Jackson, TN they didn't replace it with anything. In other posts it's been mentioned that WJKT picked up Bounce on 16.2 a few months back, but I haven't been able to get it, even though I only live about 2 miles away from their tower and have a strong OTA signal on 16.1. It's been mentioned in other threads that in most cases Nexstar doesn't carry subchannels, although they still carry Me TV on WLMT CW 30 in Memphis.

Last edited:
When Nexstar dropped Live Well on WAVN ABC 24 in Memphis and WJKT Fox 16 in Jackson, TN they didn't replace it with anything. In other posts it's been mentioned that WJKT picked up Bounce on 16.2 a few months back, but I haven't been able to get it, even though I only live about 2 miles away from their tower and have a strong OTA signal on 16.1. It's been mentioned in other threads that in most cases Nexstar doesn't carry subchannels, although they still carry Me TV on WLMT CW 30 in Memphis.

That's usually the case with Nexstar; unless there's no room for the CW or MyNet in a market (which Memphis is the case), they don't do subchannels. KCAU was owned by Citadel when they grabbed LWN, which probably put more iron-tight agreements into place so a new owner couldn't take it off once they bought a station, unlike in Memphis. They've relaxed that a little (they made Me and Bounce subchannel deals for some of their stations), but it's often more the exception than the rule.

Also, WOI did discontinue LWN in the last few days themselves; considering Nexstar's multi-million dollar campaign to undo the years of lethargy of underfunding and ambivalence both by Citadel and Iowa State University (which ran it like Mizzou does KOMU, but without the actual effort in the news department), they were glad to be rid of them.

Last edited:
That's usually the case with Nexstar; unless there's no room for the CW or MyNet in a market (which Memphis is the case), they don't do subchannels.
*grumble*mynetisasyndicationservicethatonlyruns2hoursanight5nightsaweekwhyareyourunninganentiresubchanneljustforthat*grumble*

Actually, here in the Quad Cities, KGCW carries This Quad Cities on 26.2 and ME-TV on 26-3. Of course, that occurred in December 2009 and April 2012 when Grant still owned Fox 18 and The Quad Cities' CW, but those subchannels are still on the air today...

Update on Iowa subchannels

Apparently, WOI 5.2 and KCAU 9.2 have gone off the air.

In Cedar Rapids, KWKB 20.2 has gone off the air as of sometime Saturday afternoon (1/17), but that station reported in it's Facebook page that it will be back as something else in the near future...

Apparently, WOI 5.2 and KCAU 9.2 have gone off the air.

In Cedar Rapids, KWKB 20.2 has gone off the air as of sometime Saturday afternoon (1/17), but that station reported in it's Facebook page that it will be back as something else in the near future...

Sidebar on semantics and language, not meant as any kind of negative comment about the poster: I find it interesting that we already think of the sub-channels as separate stations and use the phrase "off the air" in place of the technically more accurate "discontinued" (the only way they would literally go off the air would be if the station's transmitter was turned off, including primary channel).

This goes right along with our continued use of the phrases "dialing a phone number", "recording a television program" and "writing a letter". I just find the evolution of language fascinating at times.

Okay, enough diversion. Carry on discussing.

CW Network Coming To KWWL Cedar Rapids

Quincy Media-owned NBC affiliate KWWL Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, Iowa (DMA 90) is adding The CW to its 7.2 subchannel beginning Sept. 12.

The CW will replace ThisTV and will be available free over the air via antenna as well as on most cable and satellite distributors in high definition.

The changes come as a result of an agreement signed in 2015 between CW and KWWL Television Inc. KWWL VP-GM Jim McKernan said: “The CW is an excellent addition to our already successful portfolio of entertainment and information offerings from NBC, MeTV and KWWL.com. This is a station we look forward to developing into a legitimate alternative for both viewers and Eastern Iowa businesses.”

In addition to CW network and Saturday morning programming, KWWL plans to air a variety of shows such as The Real, Crimewatch Daily, Dish Nation, Access Hollywood, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Verdict and Judge Alex as well as many others.

KWWL will continue to air NBC on ch. 7.1, as well as offering Memorable Entertainment Television (aka MeTV) on ch. 7.3.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/93889/cw-network-coming-to-kwwl-cedar-rapids

Now what happens to KWKB?

KWKB is not carrying the full ThisTV schedule, nust a few movies a day like one in the afternoon, one during what was CW primetime and then movies during the overnight. They are carrying a number of syndicated shows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom