• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM Frequency of the Week - 102.5 MHz

What can you all get on 102.5 FM?

Here in Vermilion, OH it's a wide open frequency and great for DXing. Just from my car radio, I can hear the following on any given day:

WZOO/Edgewood, OH (classic hits - 'Majic 102.5')
WIOG/Bay City, MI (CHR)
WBZV/Hudson, MI (Classic rock 'Buzz 102.5')
WTSS/Buffalo, NY (AC 'Star 102.5') (Easy to ID this one now as they're in all Christmas mode and the only 102.5 station that I regularly get that plays Christmas music)
WDVE/Pittsburgh, PA (Rock '102.5, DVE')
WWCD/Baltimore, OH (Alternative 'CD 102.5')
W273BL/Akron, OH (Christian Contemporary 'Air 1')

Here in Yakima 102.5 is blank but there is WAY too much intermod and bleed from local stations.
I have picked up KZOK Seattle, and logged KNIX Phoenix via e-skip. Still looking for KRAO Colfax and KMSO Missoula, MT but maybe next season.

-crainbebo

Looks like 102.5 is the official DX Frequency. Here is Poughkeepsie, NY 102.5 is my one and only empty channel, although it has been allocated to nearby Rhinebeck, NY, so one of these days I'll have a new local on this frequency. While there is no regular signal on 102.5, there is almost always some tropo scatter from somewhere, and grandfathered WTSS Buffalo at 251 miles is one of the most common, audiable almost any day of the year if you sit on 102.5 long enough. (I'm listening to WTSS right now with Christmas music). Also via tropo scatter, I might get WBAZ Bridgehampton, LI, NY, WKLB Boston, WRFY Reading, PA, WUMX Rome, NY, W273AB "Magic 101.7" Owego, NY, or WOLC Princess Anne, MD. And once in a while, Ottawa's CBOX will fade up, easily IDable with French cultural programming. Also, over the years, there have been several local pirates on 102.5. Including all DX I have 34 loggings on 102.5 (not including pirates), with three from Kansas, including my most-distant 102.5 logging KKCI Goodland, KS at 1456 miles.

In East Tennessee, it's semi-local WOWF, Crossville.

In Dayton, it was a tossup between WMDH, Newcastle, IN and the old WHIZ, Zanesville which has since moved into Suburban Columbus (Baltimore) as WWCD.

102.5 here is one of our main locals, WXLY North Charleston. They are an adult contemporary station which flips to Christmas music during the holidays. I've also heard WYNR, Waycross, GA, with a country format here several times.

South of Minnesota River (SW Burbs of Minneapolis)

K273BH Hot 102.5 (classic hip hop) which is a translator of KTCZ-HD3 97.1-3

Here in Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs), it's usually semi-local WRFY(Y-102, rock station) from Reading. I have also gotten WOLC(religious, now hot AC
WBOC-FM) from Delmarva and the Boston station, whatever that is(It used to be classical station WCRB, which is now on 99.5).

Far northwest suburbs of Chicago. Sometimes a "whiff" of WNWC from Madison, WI. Otherwise 102.5 is sandwiched between two moderate signals. WXLC (102.3) from Waukegan, IL and WVAZ, 102.7 from Chicago.

Here in Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs), it's usually semi-local WRFY(Y-102, rock station) from Reading. I have also gotten WOLC(religious, now hot AC
WBOC-FM) from Delmarva and the Boston station, whatever that is(It used to be classical station WCRB, which is now on 99.5).

The current 102.5 in Boston is WKLB-FM, with a country music format.

Another 2 locations post from the Blind DXer. :) In altamonte Springs FL/Orlando FL it's W273CA the fm translator for WFLF 540 AM WFLA. IN Brandon/Tampa FL it's hot talk 102.5 the bone WHPT. Sometimes I can get WHPT here but not too often now. Before w273CA signed on, WHPT was audible here a good amount.

Not a local station ( DX )

102.5 KDON serving the Monterey-Salinas market

15,000 watts

40 miles from listening location. Occasionally, can pick up KSFM in certain spots around the yard

The Valley of the Jolly Green Giant (LeSueur, MN)

KQIC Willmar

Once you get up the hill out of town (say 2 miles) you can pick up K273BH which is a 250 watt translator from Minneapolis. KTCZ-HD3 is the originating station (Hip Hop "Hot 102.5")

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom