• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ferguson 1, "Dancing with the Stars" 0

Anyone who wants to reply to this should hurry. This is another thread destined for ABB.

It's kinda hard to fault ABC for bringing the news. I think they thought the announcement would have been considerably shorter or they wouldn't have cut in as long as they did.

At least they stopped the show in progress, so people didn't miss anything if they were watching live. DVR viewers were out of luck, if they didn't know in advance to add time.

Anyone who wants to reply to this should hurry. This is another thread destined for ABB.
So we follow it there. Big deal.
It's kinda hard to fault ABC for bringing the news. I think they thought the announcement would have been considerably shorter or they wouldn't have cut in as long as they did.
At least they stopped the show in progress, so people didn't miss anything if they were watching live. DVR viewers were out of luck, if they didn't know in advance to add time.
We were watching Scorpion. It, too, was interrupted twice. Don't know how long Dancing was interrupted.

Here in Nashville, Dancing and other ABC programming were pre-empted last week. for the tight'uns game with the Steelers. All ABC programming was bumped to overnight hours. Don't know how that would have shaken out had that happened this week.

Jeopardy vs. Ferguson

Once I saw Brian Williams instead of Alex Trebek, I deleted what I had taped and watched the other "Jeopardy" broadcast taped 30 minutes later and didn't miss anything. I hope Time Warner Cable will keep this second station for a while.

I'm amazed it didn't happen last night. I wasn't aware of what had happened until I saw the 10:00 newscast that I had taped.

But the fact is it was last week, when I hadn't heard about anything on the radio, when apparently reaction to the Ferguson grand jury decision had had results like the Rodney King verdict. I was fortunate to have two "Jeopardy" stations, and it was a tournament which meant it would be repeated but I would have hatd having to remember.

But I can't see why last week it was justified. Apparently it wasn't this week.

This is great example of the media blowing a local news story totally out of perspective. Although many people have been following this story it won't affect very many people outside of the immediate area and it sets no national agenda. By hammering it over and over again the news media did the nation no favors by ensuring people in Ferguson would react to the exposure....and they did.

The local authorities should have declared martial law and locked down the town thereby preventing the lawless element from looting and burning. They had that responsibility to their local people. Let the people demonstrate legally after a cooling off period but not when tempers are running high and the exploiters are seizing the moment to steal and destroy.

The media and local law enforcement let the people down......again. It is shameful.

Whether it is local is debatable. I look at several area newspapers online and most had some comment about hoping local people wouldn't react negatively.

Whether it is local is debatable. I look at several area newspapers online and most had some comment about hoping local people wouldn't react negatively.

Of course they did, because they saw what I saw - that all the media exposure and "warnings" about lawlessness would entice the very thing that was being warned about. We even had two small demonstrations here in the Phoenix area - please tell me those were justified based upon the events in Ferguson.

Of course they did, because they saw what I saw - that all the media exposure and "warnings" about lawlessness would entice the very thing that was being warned about. We even had two small demonstrations here in the Phoenix area - please tell me those were justified based upon the events in Ferguson.

And that's what you call the "power of suggestion". We had demostrations too here in Los Angeles, including one at a park down the street from my apartment. Most of those same people then led a march up one of the near-by boulevards, and other than a couple indicients (one with a group of some USC students walking onto Interstate 110 in Downtown, and another group having a tussle with some LAPD officers), they have been relatively peaceful here. The looting and rioting, however, is a thing I never fully understand--you get a bunch of knuckleheads who are out there taking advantage of the situation, and for all the wrong reasons.

in Minneapolis they did show about 15 minutes of the news thing then went back to DWTS which ran over until 9:14
They even said that they "took a break" on the east coast during the news flash so they only had 45 minutes to vote

Let me see if I got all of this straight. Last week, Obama made a speech that had national implications on a variety of issues including the economy, unemployment, and national security, and the major networks didn't cover it. Monday night, in a local story about the grand jury not indicating a law enforcement officer for shooting a thug who was stoned out of his mind, and who had just committed a robbery, and had assaulted the cop, and the networks felt that was important enough to interrupt programming?

And people still claim that the mainstream media is unbiased!

Let me see if I got all of this straight. Last week, Obama made a speech that had national implications on a variety of issues including the economy, unemployment, and national security, and the major networks didn't cover it.

Didn't you say he didn't ask for live airtime? And haven't we already discussed that only one network didn't pre-empt?

Didn't you say he didn't ask for live airtime? And haven't we already discussed that only one network didn't pre-empt?

Did the Grand Jury in Ferguson, MO ask for live airtime? This is about the decisions of the suits running the major networks deciding what is and is not newsworthy. In the one case, they decided the event wasn't newsworthy. In the other event, they decided differently. That made at least one piss-poor decision, maybe two.

In your humble opinion. Your attempting to say that it shows bias. Were there riots after the president's speech?

I don't know that the suits showed bias but they sure showed piss poor judgement in the virtually constant and unrelenting "opionating" regarding the grand jury decision before it was due. And the grossly unnecessary coverage on tonight's "Nightly News" by NBC was in equally bad form. Nothing like stirring up the natives to perform for the cameras when the only other worthwhile story is a storm on the East Coast.

Nothing like stirring up the natives to perform for the cameras when the only other worthwhile story is a storm on the East Coast.

So you're saying the people wouldn't respond to this verdict if it were not for the major TV networks? Really?

Were there riots after the president's speech?

There might have been, had anyone listened to it. :rolleyes:

So you're saying the people wouldn't respond to this verdict if it were not for the major TV networks? Really?

There's more of your typical "all or nothing" bullshit. Surely even you can see that civil disturbances can range in intensity from mild to severe, and that media coverage can increase the intensity of civil disturbances. I mean, even you should recognize that rioters, especially professionals brought in from out of town, will step up their activities when news cameras are rolling.

Note to moderators: There should be a certain level of the use of telling the truth as a defense against charges of personal attacks. TheBigA's track record of similar responses should prove that the first sentence of my response above is the truth.

Last edited:
So we follow it there. Big deal.
We were watching Scorpion. It, too, was interrupted twice. Don't know how long Dancing was interrupted.

Here in Nashville, Dancing and other ABC programming were pre-empted last week. for the tight'uns game with the Steelers. All ABC programming was bumped to overnight hours. Don't know how that would have shaken out had that happened this week.

Anyone know what NBC did? The CBS schedule got pushed back after Scorpion was interrupted and then resumed. NBC's 10pm show started on time. Don't these network geniuses realize a substantial portion of the audience DOES NOT WATCH LIVE?

I have been saying that the media blew this story's importance all out of proportion. They jumped on it like the rape of a nun and fanned the flames until it became a self fulfilling prophecy. And, I didn't single out the TV networks because the print media was equally to blame. I don't listen to radio news so have no opinion there but I can just imagine what the shrieking tonsils of hate radio are doing with the story.

There might have been, had anyone listened to it. :rolleyes:

The fact that it was on ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, Univision, and all cable news outlets means nothing, I guess.

There's more of your typical "all or nothing" bullsh*t.

What are you talking about? You try to dodge a serious question with obscenity. Very classy.

Maybe you don't understand this, but cameras are a fact of every day life. They'll be there regardless of whether or not the major networks choose to cover a story. But why shouldn't they report it? It happened, didn't it? They reported the snowstorm in Buffalo, didn't they?

And since you dodged the question, I'll ask again: How is their decision to interrupt the network feed an example of bias?

TheBigA's track record of similar responses should prove that the first sentence of my response above is the truth.

Once again, what are you talking about? I have never ever used any form of obscenity in any of my posts. Obscenity is a violation of the TOS.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom