• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

November Houston Ratings are "Booming"

Mediafrog+

Walk of Fame Participant
Latest numbers here: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

As expected the big story is KROI Boom 92 which more than triples the previous news format numbers with a 3.2. Now you see why other markets are launching the Classic Hip-Hop format. This pretty much equals the best numbers the 92.1 frequency has ever had--the "Praise" format would sometimes break the 3.0 barrier, but the audience was much older. Looks like Boom has taken a nibble out of KBXX, however.

KODA back on top, now into the 7's.

CBS must have an eyebrow raised over KHMX, KKHH, and KLOL which have all sunk into the mid to high 2's. There is probably too much target demographic overlap, especially when you throw in KRBE and KAMA.

KUHF and KTRH seeing a bump probably due to the demise of News92FM.

KFNC actually hits a 1.0.

Anybody's guess at what the Liberman stations are doing. With their money woes plus Univision possibly being up for sale, there could be a bit of shuffle for Spanish language radio in Houston in the not too distant future.

I sometimes wonder why iHeartMedia still bothers with KPRC 950 (at a 0.2) until I realize how many AM's don't show up at all.

Those numbers are 6+, NOT the actual demos they are shooting for.....(female, 25-34 or males 25-54, etc etc)...the ones used by sales folks to set rates...
92.1s jump was expected.......BUT I bet a detailed look at the real numbers by the desired demographics will show a TOTALLY different story.......

When Bill Hill moved 101.7 from Silsbee toward Beaumont and put an Oldies format on it (Bruce stop the drooling..NOT the typical Oldies you would expect), where the top 100 hits of all time were moved LOWER on the list with LOW rotation and the remaining songs (100-500) got more playtime, it kicked butt...and EVERYONE (except those of us who had suggested it and knew the 2hr rotation of currents led to burn out!!!) was shocked........Cumeless of course bought it and moved the 97.5 country format to it and up grade 97.5 to a 2000 ft Class C and see how well THAT worked out....

When Cheap Channel (at the time) had 98.5 KHYS in Port Arthur was on its 500ft tower, I had a black coworker in Conroe trying to listen to it because it was a unique format and it was GOOD! HE LOVED IT!!! (And I might add he had been an engineer at 1070 earlier!)...When I told him about the Devers project he was overjoyed since he lived in Huntsville....could listen to it to/from work....and maybe at home........and what happened? The format "tweaked" to battle Magic 102.......IT SOUNDED THE SAME NOW!!!....He (and I) was sick!!!

TO WIN, you dont do the same thing everyone else is doing......and if you have a great format, you dont f it up.....30 yrs later, it's worse now than ever before...

Wish I could get financing to get one of Liberman's signal.....or both 98.5 and 103.3....and do a Classic top40 simulcast with a WIDE music choice (MORE so than the Eagle).....JINGLES, JOCK BITS, REAL DJs and all.....F(!) that damn PPM.....and I BET in 6 months or less, it would be at the top of the ratings......(IN Houston and BPT).....

Those numbers are 6+, NOT the actual demos they are shooting for.....(female, 25-34 or males 25-54, etc etc)...the ones used by sales folks to set rates...
92.1s jump was expected.......BUT I bet a detailed look at the real numbers by the desired demographics will show a TOTALLY different story.......

In 18-49 the station moved up from 32nd to 9th in the market... a 0.3 to a 4.4. And the first week of the book was still in part the old news format. In 25-54 it moved to 10th, and if it hold this kind of numbers, it will have to be considered for nearly every buy in the market.

Those numbers are 6+, NOT the actual demos they are shooting for.....

We all know that...but still we get some idea of who is moving up and down...

Wish I could get financing to get one of Liberman's signal.....or both 98.5 and 103.3....and do a Classic top40 simulcast with a WIDE music choice (MORE so than the Eagle).....JINGLES, JOCK BITS, REAL DJs and all.....F(!) that damn PPM.....and I BET in 6 months or less, it would be at the top of the ratings......(IN Houston and BPT).....

This makes me wonder if ContinuousWave and rbrucecarter5 are really the same person...

I'm sure there are plenty of potential buyers circling to vulch the Liberman stations should that company implode under its debt load.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are plenty of potential buyers circling to vulch the Liberman stations should that company implode under its debt load.

I don't expect the group to implode. The loss to the lenders would be too much in a liquidation. For the moment, LBI is paying part of the interest and kicking the can down the road. An under-performing loan is better than a thirty cents on the dollar liquidation.

I don't expect the group to implode. The loss to the lenders would be too much in a liquidation. For the moment, LBI is paying part of the interest and kicking the can down the road. An under-performing loan is better than a thirty cents on the dollar liquidation.

Perhaps the piecemeal station sales are a way to maximize return on investment, as opposed to a sale of the group as a whole. I don't think things will ever really improve for Liberman in Houston, as all their FM signals are rimshots up against the well established and better signaled Univision stations. Wonder if SBS might be interested, as they have a O&O TV station here (KTBU/55.)

The initial success of Boom 92 will put an end to any speculation of Radio One selling KROI, at least for the time being.

I bet the RO folks are just kicking themselves for not doing this sooner.

Ironic: When Radio One bought the 92.1 signal in 2004 many thought they should have gone with Urban Gospel right out of the gate...but they didn't do that until 2006 after the La Mera Mera failure. And there were calls for Classic Hip-Hop before the launch of News92FM in 2011.

Of course they'll have to keep the current format going past April 2033 to surpass the longevity of the Classical format on 92.1.

This makes me wonder if ContinuousWave and rbrucecarter5 are really the same person...

Nope - sorry! But I consider that a compliment --

Any time a station jumps in the ratings like that, obviously they made a good business decision. It doesn't make the format any more listenable for me, but then I am white and a Christian believer, so it isn't targeted at my demographic.

Considering the stations receivable - even though HD will probably implode soon, I temporarily have a good selection of formats on HD-2. Except for 97.1, I am disappointed they dropped their HD-2. I had actually had it on my presets, now I have to re-program, probably to that completely illegal signal on 106.1. If it wasn't run by a school district - it would have been raided weeks or months ago. But anything to do with the government - legality is overlooked. So maybe they will last for a while.

It is interesting that the only HD-2 format showing in the ratings is NGEN, which is a very creative and original format. But too much hip-hop for my taste. Even with Christian lyrics, the hip-hop style of music still gets repetitive and tedious after a while, and shouting black men - even if they are shouting Christian messages - are not my favorite thing to listen to.

Nope - sorry! But I consider that a compliment --
It doesn't make the format any more listenable for me, but then I am white and a Christian believer, so it isn't targeted at my demographic.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen posted here.

Considering the stations receivable - even though HD will probably implode soon, I temporarily have a good selection of formats on HD-2. Except for 97.1, I am disappointed they dropped their HD-2. I had actually had it on my presets, now I have to re-program, probably to that completely illegal signal on 106.1. If it wasn't run by a school district - it would have been raided weeks or months ago. But anything to do with the government - legality is overlooked. So maybe they will last for a while.

It is interesting that the only HD-2 format showing in the ratings is NGEN, which is a very creative and original format. But too much hip-hop for my taste. Even with Christian lyrics, the hip-hop style of music still gets repetitive and tedious after a while, and shouting black men - even if they are shouting Christian messages - are not my favorite thing to listen to.

So, secular hip hop is taboo but Christian hip hop is okay in small doses. Gotcha!

The quality of posts have significantly dropped off around here.

In 18-49 the station moved up from 32nd to 9th in the market... a 0.3 to a 4.4. And the first week of the book was still in part the old news format. In 25-54 it moved to 10th, and if it hold this kind of numbers, it will have to be considered for nearly every buy in the market.

And in 18-34 KROI moved from Tie31 to 6. More general info:

The November 2014 survey period covers Thu. 10/9/14-Wed. 11/5/14 - publicly released data for subscribing stations age 6+ overall.

Next report will be for the December 2014 survey period covering Thu. 11/6/14-Wed. 12/3/14.
The data release date will be Tue. 12/23/14.

AllAccess.com November 2014 PPM Analysis by Research Director, Inc.
including top 5 overall, top 5 in 25-54, top 5 in 18-34 and top 5 in 18-49 (Houston-Galveston is discussed first):

www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/135944/research-director-inc-presents-exclusive-nov-ppm-a

K291ce may promote Fort Bend ISD, but the school district is not running it. The tower is down near Rosenberg; however, the programming isn't even originating from Fort Bend County. KULF 1090, KBRZ 1460, 95.1 and 106.1 are all operating from an office in a run down warehouse at 10614 Rockley Road, Houston, Texas (near 59 and BW8). And yes, I also have it as a preset. Legal or not, it also is the only station around here that I can stomach for more than a few minutes.

10614.jpg 20141119_113152.jpg k291ce.JPG

Last edited:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

CW has WORKED for the Libermans.....BruceCarter5 to my knowledge has NOT (lucky SOB! :rolleyes:)

I WAS out today doing some due diligence on a couple of AMs....trying to decide which one to make an offer on...(May want to buy pieces from all three!!)

CQUAM MAY ride the CW ether again!!!....with a 80/60/70/90 Top40 with JOCKS and JINGLES....(Well, I DO have a Maestro PC to play it all out of along with 80GB of music ripped from CDs..we are talking WEEKS before a single song replays!! AHAHAHAHAH..the live DJs may have to wait for cash flow first!!! :) )

If anyone would like to partner, I would be open to talking...under a NDA of course :)

Last edited:
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

CW has WORKED for the Libermans.....BruceCarter5 to my knowledge has NOT (lucky SOB! :rolleyes:)

I WAS out today doing some due diligence on a couple of AMs....trying to decide which one to make an offer on...(May want to buy pieces from all three!!)

CQUAM MAY ride the CW ether again!!!....with a 80/60/70/90 Top40 with JOCKS and JINGLES....(Well, I DO have a Maestro PC to play it all out of along with 80GB of music ripped from CDs..we are talking WEEKS before a single song replays!! AHAHAHAHAH..the live DJs may have to wait for cash flow first!!! :) )

If anyone would like to partner, I would be open to talking...under a NDA of course :)

Darn it! Until we sell this place, I don't have funds to invest. Best of luck, I hope you succeed! I guess I will have to dust off that C-Quam TM-152 tuner, if my HD radios don't decode C-Quam.

The quality of posts have significantly dropped off around here.

I think the post of unregistered needs a response.

Hip-hop style, in general, to my personal taste only - is repetitive and tedious. I can listen to it for maybe two or three songs before I move on.

Christian hip-hop vs. secular hip-hop: people shouting at me - good message or bad - is NOT music to me. Not my personal taste. If it is a Christian spouting off encouraging, positive, uplifting messages, I will listen longer than I will to a black racist spouting off profanities, hate, sexual messages, drug use, or anything else negative. At the first profanity, I change the station. That isn't racist, it is just personal taste. Somebody nice - I'll stick around longer than I will with somebody nasty. That is human nature not racism.

Boom - probably marginally more interesting than news 92. I didn't listen to news 92, I don't listen to very many songs on Boom. My taste - not binding on anybody else. The songs just aren't of interest to me. Christian hip-hop on NGEN - not nearly as interesting to me as the Christian rock. Hip-hop style is tedious and repetitive. I generally change the station when they start up with hip-hop. I really like the approach in Orlando better, where hip-hop is separated on Hot 95.9 and the rock is on 103.7, formerly 106.3. I spend a lot more time on The Rock when I travel to Orlando than I do on NGEN here in Houston. Because hip-hop isn't my personal taste no matter how good the message.

Had I grown up black, and in that culture, I would probably like hip-hop. I grew up white listening to top-40 and rock. So hip-hop is uninteresting. To me.

Point Missed

I think the post of unregistered needs a response.

Hip-hop style, in general, to my personal taste only - is repetitive and tedious. I can listen to it for maybe two or three songs before I move on.

Christian hip-hop vs. secular hip-hop: people shouting at me - good message or bad - is NOT music to me. Not my personal taste. If it is a Christian spouting off encouraging, positive, uplifting messages, I will listen longer than I will to a black racist spouting off profanities, hate, sexual messages, drug use, or anything else negative. At the first profanity, I change the station. That isn't racist, it is just personal taste. Somebody nice - I'll stick around longer than I will with somebody nasty. That is human nature not racism.

Boom - probably marginally more interesting than news 92. I didn't listen to news 92, I don't listen to very many songs on Boom. My taste - not binding on anybody else. The songs just aren't of interest to me. Christian hip-hop on NGEN - not nearly as interesting to me as the Christian rock. Hip-hop style is tedious and repetitive. I generally change the station when they start up with hip-hop. I really like the approach in Orlando better, where hip-hop is separated on Hot 95.9 and the rock is on 103.7, formerly 106.3. I spend a lot more time on The Rock when I travel to Orlando than I do on NGEN here in Houston. Because hip-hop isn't my personal taste no matter how good the message.

Had I grown up black, and in that culture, I would probably like hip-hop. I grew up white listening to top-40 and rock. So hip-hop is uninteresting. To me.

You completely missed the point. You commented about 106.1. Joseph comments are causing problems that are costing people a lot of money. Apparently he is clueless. You know better.

It doesn't make the format any more listenable for me, but then I am white and a Christian believer, so it isn't targeted at my demographic.

But too much hip-hop for my taste. Even with Christian lyrics, the hip-hop style of music still gets repetitive and tedious after a while, and shouting black men - even if they are shouting Christian messages - are not my favorite thing to listen to.

So shouting white men will be acceptable to you, and I am sure there are more white folk listening to Boom than you think. This has to be the stupidest post I have ever read. Damn shame.

So shouting white men will be acceptable to you, and I am sure there are more white folk listening to Boom than you think. This has to be the stupidest post I have ever read. Damn shame.

You obviously haven't been following brucecarter5 for very long then. This is standard fare for him. Backhanded racism covered by the cloak of Christianity. The guy that posts as Purple Devil usually takes him to task for his senseless remarks. Where's he at? Hard to believe people like brucecarter still exist in the modern day.

Nope. Shouting anybody isn't of interest to me. As for white folks listening to boom, well there is no accounting for taste in today's butt obsessed society. To re-iterate and twist the thoughts of the "Its a Mad world movie" - "if rap artists didn't sing about butts - they would have nothing left to rap about." Gross, disgusting to people of refinement and taste. Oh - and before you call somebody a racist:

I am on record in social media saying that Zendaya was purposely robbed of a victory on DWTS so a white woman could win. I think Zendaya, and several other black women are smoking hot. I love love love motown songs from the 60's. I live next door to blacks - some really nice people. Now it isn't just blacks who are singing disgusting butt obsessed songs, I am an equal opportunity disgust reflex. Need I go on?

Back to listening to 91.7 classical. Not a butt referred to in any musical number they play.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom