• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.5 The Possum is on the air

Got an e-mail today from a friend in the area who says that the 106.5 translator licensed to Graysville is on the air with classic country as "The Possum". Bad signal south of Red Mountain. He couldn't find the source of the programming, though. It's not WQEN-HD4 or WDXB-HD2; Foggy Mountain is still alive and kicking.

On a related radio note, he also noticed that WBHJ-HD3 is on with all news, source unknown. Very strange!

I live in Helena, but go to church in Pelham and heard it tonight along US 31 and AL-261. The signal was fighting with another station at 106.5 that was playing doo-wop oldies. Wonder who that is?

Got an e-mail today from a friend in the area who says that the 106.5 translator licensed to Graysville is on the air with classic country as "The Possum". Bad signal south of Red Mountain. He couldn't find the source of the programming, though. It's not WQEN-HD4 or WDXB-HD2; Foggy Mountain is still alive and kicking.

On a related radio note, he also noticed that WBHJ-HD3 is on with all news, source unknown. Very strange!

Don't know about the all news station or the oldies station unless it is 106.5 from Chattanooga TN. 106.5 The Possum is probably testing since the website is not up yet. Anyway these are the options for the feed:

WDXB HD 2 or HD 3

WQEN HD 4

WMJJ HD 4

( wouldn't recommend an HD 4 Feed)

WERC FM HD 3 or AM 960

I live in Helena, but go to church in Pelham and heard it tonight along US 31 and AL-261. The signal was fighting with another station at 106.5 that was playing doo-wop oldies. Wonder who that is?

Demopolis has WZNJ and they're doing classic hits as "The River". Then if the wind was really blowing right you could possibly hear the translator for WYEA in Sylacauga.

Or it could have been a pirate. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one in that part of the metro now. :)

Let the signal complaints on the Possum's Facebook page BEGIN in "3...2...." ;)

The 106.5 is probably W293CQ which is WYEA-AM's FM translator in Sylacauga. I hear it all the time here in south Shelby county.

106.5 The possum is now roadkill, as their facebook changed to show that the station is now B106.5 with an old school R&B format.

http://b1065.com

Just wondering if WBHJ-HD3's news format is what will eventually feed the 99.1 translator W256CD licensed to Fultondale, since WAGG (the originating station for 99.1) is now being used for 102.1.

Just wondering if WBHJ-HD3's news format is what will eventually feed the 99.1 translator W256CD licensed to Fultondale, since WAGG (the originating station for 99.1) is now being used for 102.1.

Turns out what he was hearing WAS WAGG. I guess they were airing longer form news or something. I'm showing WAGG as being on WEZZ-HD3, so does that mean it's on two HD subchannels now, or did it move?

Now I'm left wondering the Possum was just a tease, or did someone realize their translator's signal doesn't reach the areas where classic country would be appreciated and pull the plug?

I'm sure there will be some disappointed people who may have discovered the new format, but going after Kiss FM may be a smart move.

I am guessing that the Possum was merely a smokescreen and that B106.5 was planned all along. However, given the small footprint of 106.5's signal, you are probably correct in assuming that the areas they needed to reach with a classic country format would not be there.

Of course, B106.5 will never attain the popularity of "Kiss", but at least it will siphon off some of their listeners. To what degree remains to be seen, however. I noticed that B106.5's Facebook page has only grown by about 3 or 4 people since the "Possum" page was revamped. Currently, there are 50 likes for the page, but the vast majority of that # (around 45 of them) originated from listeners expecting the classic country format to debut.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised given the recent multiple launches of classic hip hop & r&b around the country that they didn't go that route instead of urban a/c since there are already two full power urban a/c stations in the market. Seems they'd want to use this limited translator signal for something that'll differentiate themselves a little. Fill a void so to speak.

I'm a little surprised given the recent multiple launches of classic hip hop & r&b around the country that they didn't go that route instead of urban a/c since there are already two full power urban a/c stations in the market. Seems they'd want to use this limited translator signal for something that'll differentiate themselves a little. Fill a void so to speak.

I think it's more classic R&B than urban A/C but it's still squarely going after Kiss FM. Better to go after that one station than take on Jamz, 107.7 and Hot 104.

I think it's more classic R&B than urban A/C but it's still squarely going after Kiss FM. Better to go after that one station than take on Jamz, 107.7 and Hot 104.

Tomservo, since your with ABMP I wanted to post this where you would see this. I was wondering if you could create a page/profile for 101.3 WIUK-LP in Iuka, MS. They play mainstream Christian and Christian pop music and first signed on around July 30 or July 31 off this year. They go by 101.3 The Flash. I know this station is not in Alabama, but they cover extreme northwestern portions of Alabama. I noticed you have pages/profiles for stations in the Biloxi/Gulfport MS area that cover parts of Alabama so you should I have profile for this station as well. I hope this can be of help to you and that you'll create one. http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?670116-WIUK-LP-101-3-Iuka-Is-Now-On-The-Air!

Tomservo, since your with ABMP I wanted to post this where you would see this. I was wondering if you could create a page/profile for 101.3 WIUK-LP in Iuka, MS. They play mainstream Christian and Christian pop music and first signed on around July 30 or July 31 off this year. They go by 101.3 The Flash. I know this station is not in Alabama, but they cover extreme northwestern portions of Alabama. I noticed you have pages/profiles for stations in the Biloxi/Gulfport MS area that cover parts of Alabama so you should I have profile for this station as well. I hope this can be of help to you and that you'll create one. http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?670116-WIUK-LP-101-3-Iuka-Is-Now-On-The-Air!

WIUK-LP actually signed on in August my mistake.

Right now the only exceptions for out of state stations are the gulf coast, since it's one big conglomeration and the Phenix City/Columbus, GA area. I've been pondering breaking The Shoals out into its own subsection for years and if I do that, I can definitely put WIUK-LP in the list if it covers some of the area. Unfortunately I don't really have killer HTML skills so while making the page itself is no big deal, adding a link to the menu on the main page is more of a challenge. It's javascript and CSS which I don't fully understand, so I kind of learn as I tweak whenever I make changes there.

But I'll definitely keep it in mind, as adding that area as its own section is something I've been wanting to do for a while. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom