• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wky 930

Not from/in Oklahoma here, but trying to locate some info as to when WKY-AM in Oklahoma City was doing a beautiful music format? IIRC, it was sometime during the late 80's or early 90's, but I'm unable to find any info on it doing a search online.

I remember it was in the early 90's after KKNG 92.5 dropped Beautiful Music and became KOMA-FM. I heard it did very good in the ratings for an AM station, but they couldn't sell the format to advertisers.

It switched to beautiful music on June 30, 1990 and ran the format for about four years.

As Billy mentions, it got good ratings and ran KKNG 92.5 out of business. It skewed older and had trouble selling, but the talk format that replaced it did even worse. Clear Channel LMA'ed it from Gaylord about a year later, and the rumor was Gaylord almost had to beg Clear Channel to take WKY because of how badly the station was bleeding red ink.

I remember it was in the early 90's after KKNG 92.5 dropped Beautiful Music and became KOMA-FM. I heard it did very good in the ratings for an AM station, but they couldn't sell the format to advertisers.

Just for the record, KKNG flipped to soft AC as "Soft & Easy 92.5 KKNG" about a year before WKY flipped. The initial ratings were good, but they dropped like a stone after WKY went from country to EZ. KKNG became "Mix 92.5" after the ratings dropped, and Mix performed just as poorly (if not even worse). KOMA took over 92.5 in the summer of '92.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom