• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDGE 99.7 "X" Modern Rock TV Ad (1997)

devoidzer0

New Participating Member
Remember when 99.7 used to be a modern rock station? It was WDGE "X" from 1995 to 1997, and then became WXEX "The Edge" from 1997 to 1999. Then it became the FM side of the sports station WSKO (790 The Score) and now broadcasts WPRO on FM. Here's a TV ad I found from 1997 from the station's short lived days as 99.7 "X" WDGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFN4FKVasc

Last edited:
99.7 was The Edge first (which I hated), then 99.7X (which was better). I used to have a tape of their format flip from The X to whatever came next. It's been relatively stable under 2 formats (sports radio The Score until 2008 & then the WPRO simulcast).

AC/DC and Zeppelin?! That is weird. I remember them being more straight up alternative. 311, Soul Asylum, CAKE, etc. I lived in SE Mass so I didn't get 99.7 all that good but it did come in during some days. In summer of '97 I remember driving to the beach in RI and listening to them quite a bit. They were definitely straight up alt by then.

I built that station and initially put it in the air. Studios in West Warwick, transmitter at what was (maybe still is?) the former WRX transmitter site in Exeter.
The station was called "THE EDGE" and played "Alternative" Rock. It was completely voice tracked from day one, using ENCO automation. When it was bought by Citadel and
moved to the trail, I heard that it was reduced to just an automation system in a closet....

99.7 The Edge had a great first year, which happened to be at alternative's hey-day in the mid 90's. By around the beginning of 1997, the station made too many adjustments--a name change, skewing active rock, adding Mancow to mornings--not to mention that the alternative format itself was encountering some turbulence also with the increase in nu-metal and post-grunge, that what ended up becoming 99.7X fell apart. They tried to get the station to be "alternative" again in its last year, but ultimately had to fold at the beginning of 1999. But I, as well as most about my age, had 99.7 on ALL THE TIME in the Summer of '95 ('we're not Dinosaur 94, and we don't suck on Sundays.')

Jacko

Jacko, I have fond memories of the Edge from the Summer of '95. If I am not mistaken, they ran commercial-free all summer. I was living in Narragansett at the time, and given the station's signal strength, I remember hearing it everywhere - the beach, booming from cars, and in places of business.

I think they became "99.7 X" because of trademark infringement regarding use of the "Edge" moniker.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom