• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHYY 90.9 FM, why is it so successful?

J

Jul

In your opinion, why do you think that WHYY-FM 90.9 is the number 1 news/talk station in Philly in the ratings and cume.

In your opinion, why do you think that WHYY-FM 90.9 is the number 1 news/talk station in Philly in the ratings and cume.

It may not be that 91FM is so good but 1210 is so bad - as you keep reminding everyone.

But thank you for throwing red meat for the haters or public radio.

Too bad they stopped showing non-subscribers. Maybe Salem is on top. Heck, maybe WURD is beating 1210.

WHYY is just a great station, because you always hear more than one opinion. So it's not just all rush, all beck, etc...

Plus, the show "Wiretap" is brilliant!

The ratings show us that conservative radio is starting to get on people's nerves. NPR is (whilst still at times annoying too) giving us current opinions from all sides. Thank God, too.

NPR programming and WHYY-FM local programming both are well done, and offer a more varied view of the world and the issues of the day than does 1210 WPHT or 990 WNTP. Some of the shows like Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, A Prairie Home Companion, etc, are entertainment shows vs their news/analysis/commentary programs. So it's not just news/talk, but a real variety of things to hear. The news talk programs on WHYY-FM don't hype the news and the talk show hosts aren't trying to get you ticked off at someone. I've never heard any sort of hate speech on NPR or WHYY-FM, sadly many AM right wing talk shows can't say the same thing. These are reasons people may be choosing to listen to NPR/WHYY-FM over WPHT or WNTP.

NPR programming and WHYY-FM local programming both are well done, and offer a more varied view of the world and the issues of the day than does 1210 WPHT or 990 WNTP. Some of the shows like Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, A Prairie Home Companion, etc, are entertainment shows vs their news/analysis/commentary programs. So it's not just news/talk, but a real variety of things to hear. The news talk programs on WHYY-FM don't hype the news and the talk show hosts aren't trying to get you ticked off at someone. I've never heard any sort of hate speech on NPR or WHYY-FM, sadly many AM right wing talk shows can't say the same thing. These are reasons people may be choosing to listen to NPR/WHYY-FM over WPHT or WNTP.

I notice you carefully avoided mentioning the right-wing talk and hate speech dished out by WDEL and WILM, and how the numbers for those stations have declined even more dramatically. Wilmington numbers are not available publicly, but it appears an even greater portion of Wilmington listeners are choosing WHYY-FM. Or possibly it would be more accurate to say rejecting the right-wing talk stations.

Fred, the reason I didn't include Wilmington's WDEL and WILM in the discussion is WHYY-FM's numbers don't show in the 12+ numbers for Wilmington since they are a non-comm and probably don't buy the Arbitron book for Wilmington. So we don't know what sort of listening numbers they have in the Wilmington market. My guess is, WHYY-FM does well [I'm sure I'm not the only Wilmingtonian who listens to NPR], but that is only a guess. I know a number of Delawareans who also listen to and prefer Philly's 1060 KYW newsradio to either Wilmington news/talker, but that's purely anecdotal and not of much use here.

I listen for local news/weather/traffic, CBS Radio news programming, Phillies/Eagles, and other pro-sports via Westwood One on WDEL. For national news and long form interviews, radio entertainment programs, etc, NPR via WHYY-FM. Online with WDDE-FM Dover for "On Point" [WHYY doesn't carry this show]. I rarely put on WILM, but will sometimes to hear what Bruce Elliot is discussing, or to catch the first few minutes of Glenn Beck or the first few minutes of Rush, a little goes a long way with those guys. So an occasional tune in for a few minutes confirms nothing has changed in what they have to say, same ole same ole.

For the rest of my OTA radio listening is Sports/Talk via 1290 WWTX Fox Sports Radio, then 97.5 WPEN the Fanatic [ESPN Radio], then 610 WIP CBS Sports Radio, and then 94.1 WIP-FM. The only music I listen to on OTA radio is 107.7 [Wilmington translator] WRTI. Any other music or spoken word programming I listen online, and I also listen to audio books.

Last edited:
Fred, the reason I didn't include Wilmington's WDEL and WILM in the discussion is WHYY-FM's numbers don't show in the 12+ numbers for Wilmington since they are a non-comm and probably don't buy the Arbitron book for Wilmington. So we don't know what sort of listening numbers they have in the Wilmington market. My guess is, WHYY-FM does well [I'm sure I'm not the only Wilmingtonian who listens to NPR], but that is only a guess. I know a number of Delawareans who also listen to and prefer Philly's 1060 KYW newsradio to either Wilmington news/talker, but that's purely anecdotal and not of much use here.

I agree your "guesses" are likely. My point is that just like WPHT, the two Wilmington talk stations have gotten really bad and much of the former talk audience has bailed out. We may not be able to see how many listeners in Delaware WHYY-FM has but we can see how many the two Wilmington talk stations have lost. What we don't know for either Philadelphia or Wilmington is where those turn-off former talk fans went: Did they go to public radio or leave radio entirely? The industry likes to claim how large its cume still is but to qualify as part of the radio audience requires only five minutes once a week.

Stop it.

WHYY does well for a couple of reasons. Public radio tends to do well in large blue cities. And it's a very good station. It's really no more complicated than that.

How would you know? WHYY-FM is not in Baltimore. Obviously the standards for "hate speech" are different there. Maryland was a slave state. More recently, WJZ-TV as an ABC affiliate refused to carry "American Bandstand" from WFIL-TV, Philadelphia because it was racially integrated.

Last edited:
How would you know? WHYY-FM is not in Baltimore. Obviously the standards for "hate speech" are different there. Maryland was a slave state. More recently, WJZ-TV as an ABC affiliate refused to carry "American Bandstand" from WFIL-TV, Philadelphia because it was racially integrated.

I don't live in Baltimore. Never did. I did however live in Wilmington for a few years, and Elkins Park before that. So unless WHYY has gotten worse since about 2010, I know what it sounds like. I also listen to a LOT of stations in places where I don't live. Because I actually study radio and want to hear examples of good stations, instead of just running around like a child online insulting everyone that's not me.

I don't know why I'm even responding to your insults, they're beyond childish.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's your thing with the South?

It's 2014, after all.

Yet you bring up a TV example from 60 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Says the guy complaining about the lack of "white" stations in another thread.

So, either you were too dumb to get the point or you lie. Typical of ditto-heads: No brains and no integrity plus really nasty people. Baltimore and Dee-troit: Both red towns. From the color of people's necks.

Tell that to people with Confederate battle flags on their front lawns or pick-up trucks.

The South has no greater number of morons than the West or the Northeast or any other part of the country. Ignorant morons will look for some symbol that makes them seem to be part of something and thus raises their self esteem. Whether that symbol is an NFL team or a war lost about 150 years ago, trying to explain the actions of said morons is futile.

Most southerners don't spend any time thinking about that far distant past and its symbols. In the words of Alabama, "There ain't nobody looking back again"

Have you people looked at the ratings of NPR stations in other major markets? Most are very successful, and many beat out the right wing talkers. There is, I believe, a reason for that. The programming is well done, it does not usually go to extremes when talking politics; the discussion is reasonable and fairly well balanced. I've found this to be true of both the local and national programming I hear on WHYY, which I listen to almost daily. The numbers show, in my humble estimation, that there are at least as many people, and often more, that want to hear reasonable talk instead of the constant stream of yelling, screaming, and lunacy that comes from the commercial outlets, be they left or right (listen to some of the lefties on SiriusXM Progress, who can be every bit as acerbic as the righties). Take Boston where there are two major NPR outlets, WBUR and WGBH. Their combined ratings consistently beat out talkers like WRKO; and WBUR alone comes very close to beating WBZ. In New York City WNYC-FM easily beats up on WOR, WABC, and WNYM. In Washington, WAMU easily beats out all other talkers.

Couple intelligent, reasonable talk with some of the great entertainment programs like Car Talk, and you have a very positive and powerful outlet for people who are tired of (or were never interested in) the tirade talkers.

On the topic of "southerners", having lived in the south for several years before returning to the northeast, I can honestly state that people down there overall are no more smarter or dumber than people anywhere else that I've lived. There are smart and good people everywhere, and there are some real morons and jerks in the same locations. The only thing I will say about the south is that racism is still alive and well down there, just as it is here in Philly or New York. But - the difference is that in the south it may be more ubiquitous and "out front" (i.e., visible). I've known radio stations in the south that still will not hire blacks or gays (despite EEOC rules). Up here in the northeast, racism is still there, it's just much more hidden.

Last edited:
Rene: FTR. There is much to admire (IMHO) about Salem's talkers (except Gallagher, another "tirade talker"). It's a shame they don't do better in getting numbers. Not sure why that is. There must be some old school Republican types left out in radio land.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom