• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ratings & Revenue then,....and Now for the True Thinkers:

S

Scooter Lesley

Although none of us liked every song that came from the 80's,...that was, and for the True Thinkers, is the Magic Decade.

Forget about GSP stations that were allegedly programmed with such, and failed. They were ran as about as efficient as a fat Lady, running a doughnut shop.

For Top 30 CHR then, it was a license to print money. I was there, and profited from it....Hit after Hit....spell money....M-a-d-o-n-n-a!

Today,...the Decade, properly formatted & programmed, by a True Thinker,.....could easily bill $100,000 to $110,000 per month.

OK,....Skeptics, have at it, but just remember.....make your argument good......if you don't,...I shall easily make you a monkey!

Right, and at the same time, it was possible for many of the artists you played on the radio to sell a million copies of a record. Then what happened?

Well,...I should have expected the Weenie Brothers jot little in words, and make less in sense. Also, they did not read my Topic completely......I said to make your argument good,....and what do I get?

A stupid question!

Last edited:
Although none of us liked every song that came from the 80's,...that was, and for the True Thinkers, is the Magic Decade.

Are the True Thinkers a cult, an error in capitalization or your own special construct?

Forget about GSP stations that were allegedly programmed with such,(sis) and failed. They were ran(sic) as about as efficient as a fat Lady,(sic, sic) running a doughnut shop.

I am searching for a deep meaning here.

Today,...the Decade, properly formatted & programmed, by a True Thinker,.....could easily bill $100,000 to $110,000 per month.

That would make it the lowest billing full signal FM in the market, and close in billing only to WHZT.

OK,....Skeptics, have at it, but just remember.....make your argument good......if you don't,...I shall easily make you a monkey!

Why do you put a comma before the ellipsis, and use more than three periods in same?

Last edited:
It was somewhere around 1994-95, when I first noticed 80's stations entering the race. The initial format (Format #1) was just a ten year greatest hits package.
Every (Top 30) CHR hit from the entire decade. However, this didn't have a good shelf-life, due to,....again, Narrow Casting. Where as you had ten years of hits, not all of them saw airplay. Enter again Pencilneck Consultants, with their nose stuck in a Joel Whitburn chart book. Instead of Programming "A Sound", they burnt them all again, just like they did when each song was a current record.....then, wondered why it stalled.

Boy this BigA is a regular radio guru: Alright Pally,....let's see what you know about 80's music.

Pick the one that tests better than the other two:

"Let's Go" by The Cars....or "One Way or Another" by Blondie......or "My Sharona" by The Knack......pick one!....only one!

No one answer this but, the BigA.......Just him.

Boy this BigA is a regular radio guru: Alright Pally,....let's see what you know about 80's music.

Pick the one that tests better than the other two:

"Let's Go" by The Cars....or "One Way or Another" by Blondie......or "My Sharona" by The Knack......pick one!....only one!

Pick your answer:

1. None
2. All
3. All of the above

Number 3 is correct, as it depends entirely on the market, the demo being tested against, the station format, the recruit specifications, etc.

In other words, there is no correct answer if the context is a test for a radio station.

"Tests better" to whom? You? Or the general public? Because I find that you have your own individual ratings scale. So in that way, I can't be sure.

The song that peaked the lowest was Blondie, so on the Scooter chart, I'd say Blondie is your favorite.

By the way, Heart of Glass is the song they end their show with every night. They usually open with One Way or Another. Just thought you'd like to know.

Last edited:
For Mr. Ed, relax, before you have a stroke,...I will let you play later, and your California ass better be sharp!

Once again, your "A"-ness, you Boobed, and didn't answer the question. You would have these readers believe you are smart on the business, but no answer to my question.....a question that you should have easily breezed through. You know your 80's music.....don't you?.....well, don't you?

By the way, I am one of the Biggest Blondie collector's in the southeast United States. You can't enlighten me on anything, regarding that band.
It depends on what tour, but "Dreaming" is their standard opener, and they always close their shows with a cover, either "Get It On"(T.Rex) or "Heroes"(David Bowie)....closing on a Radio concert, with "Heart of Glass", is due to the alleged time constraints/performance royalties, and a hired edit monkey.

Now,....do us the ''A"-ness honor of......answering the question.......which of the three?

Well,....how 'bout Puddooooca, Kentucky.....Wallwallllllla, Washington....or Butte, Montana.....? This is the South Carolina page, any market in the state, especially the GSP. Now,...it's in a state box! Shetland Pony-up....with with an answer for these readers!

Well,....how 'bout Puddooooca, Kentucky.....Wallwallllllla, Washington....or Butte, Montana.....? This is the South Carolina page, any market in the state, especially the GSP. Now,...it's in a state box! Shetland Pony-up....with with an answer for these readers!

You still have to name the market and the format. Two different stations in the same market with different targets may find different results on each of those songs.

You asked an unanswerable question as the only correct response will come from the proprietary research of each individual station.

Your "A"-ness......your tardy slips are stacking up. Where is your answer?

Forget stations,....let's say something like Jacob's Media or another wonderfully accurate(?) Auditorium Music Test....on a National spread,
regarding these 80's songs,.....

I'll make this one eeeeeeeeeezy for you! Pick the one that hit #1, and the year's supply of rice-o-roni is yours to purchase, at any nearby grocery store.

You couldn't pour manure out of a cowboy boot, if the instructions were written on the heel! Stop whining,..and give us an answer....pick one.

I made it easy,....as you are chart minded, not me. Remember my quote, printed in too many trades to count:
"The human hear can not register chart position...it can only register appeal.".

Charts are/were a pencil map, not a Garman. They were never my final say. "Midnight Rendezvous" by The Babys still played by WROQ, but they don't know why. I just added it in 1987 because we were playing too many of their ballads, and that did not correctly define that band. "California" was added too, but I do believe some Pencilneck, over the years, deleted it,...not knowing enough to leave it there.

...and now,....your pick Please!

You couldn't pour manure out of a cowboy boot, if the instructions were written on the heel!

My question to you would be: How did that manure get in the boot in the first place? Maybe you've never actually worn a cowboy boot.

My answer is it depends. I would never play The Knack on a rock station. I don't care how high it charted. The only reason The Knack did well was people thought they were The Beatles.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom