• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big Bang Theory 1 - Obama 0

F

FredLeonard

CBS passed on Obama's speech to stay with its regular programming, "The Big Bang Theory."

ABC, Fox and NBC, either because they are brain-dead lemmings or because they had nothing to loose, give free air time to the first affirmative action (now lame duck) president.

One is a good start. Maybe some day all network broadcasters will tell the White House what they can do in their hat when they start asking for free air time for some politimmercial nobody wants to hear.

Here in Atlanta, Fox (WAGA) was the only network to carry the speech; WXIA had their own coverage before resuming NBC programming already in progress.

But of course in this day and age, all the stations had it on their websites/apps.

Wasn't it carried on Univision, Telemundo, and the stations that target the people Obama was talking about?

Maybe some day all network broadcasters will tell the White House what they can do in their hat when they start asking for free air time for some politimmercial nobody wants to hear.

What are you talking about? This isn't the first time a network hasn't carried a Presidential address.

I didn't watch the speech but it had to be better than BBT.

I didn't watch the speech but it had to be better than BBT.

I read the transcript/summary. It had more humor and fantasy than any sitcom. It reminded me of Once Upon a Time, only less believable.

only network in Minneapolis to carry it was Fox (KMSP). The other 3 had regular programming

Curiouser and curiouser. In Philly, CBS3 carried Big Bang Theory. 6ABC, NBC10, WHYY-TV12 (public television) and Fox29 took the machine. Were the networks feeding regular programming with stations having the option of taking the speech? Are the preempted network shows being run later during off-hours? Since the speech was at 8pm EST, I suppose the networks could have fed the speech on the West Coast satellite feed only (no network shows scheduled at 5pm PST) and let stations in the East make their own choice. Stations in the West would also have the choice of taking the speech or staying with local programming.

None of the networks carried the speech. Local stations had the option to preempt the network and carry it.

Rush Limbaugh said Obama didn't ask for time.

Think about it. There are no elections upcoming. Obama is doing what he'd doing without the support of Congress, and made it clear that he doesn't give damn what the American people want. So why should he ask for time to persuade the American people to accept his unilateral action? He made an Imperial decree. He doesn't need the support of the American people, so he has no need to ask for time on TV.

Actually saw Obama on all the Big 3 stations in Yakima. KAPP-35/KVEW-42 fed Obama's speech from their sister station KXLY-4 Spokane, with bad SD quality. Looked like an internet stream. KNDO/KNDU had their own coverage and CBS News had national coverage (I suppose MT/PT only) that was on KIMA.

-crainbebo

Think about it. There are no elections upcoming. Obama is doing what he'd doing without the support of Congress, and made it clear that he doesn't give damn what the American people want. So why should he ask for time to persuade the American people to accept his unilateral action? He made an Imperial decree. He doesn't need the support of the American people, so he has no need to ask for time on TV.

You and I apparently have different memories. What I think he said was that he has given Congress a long year to come up with an immigration law and they have not done it so he is going to put something in place. I also remember him saying that should Congress now come up with a law he would reconsider his proposal.

Now, I am not so dumb to believe that a lot of what Mr. Obama has done is not just plain politics and I am also quite certain he loves to tweak the Republican's noses when he gets a chance but it does seem on the surface as if he is being up front.

As far as what the American people want.....I don't know. Have you gotten a specific list of just what the majority of citizens would like in a new law? I live in a border state and there is considerable difference of opinion here on what to do with the families who have illegal parents but legal children. Do you split them up and keep the kids here sending their parents home? Do you force the kids (U.S. citizens as a result of being born here) out of the country with their parents? Do you penalize families that are otherwise living quality lives and contributing to society? None of these are easy to answer. Personally, I believe what's done is done. It makes no sense to split families. It makes much better sense to spend money identifying and booting criminals out. Just my 2 cents.

At one time or another almost every other ethnic group has been in the same position but they were not thrown out and have assimilated rather nicely over the years. The only downside I see is the continuing overpopulation of the country. We simply have too many people but it isn't an ethnic question.

You and I apparently have different memories. What I think he said was that he has given Congress a long year to come up with an immigration law and they have not done it so he is going to put something in place. I also remember him saying that should Congress now come up with a law he would reconsider his proposal.

He wanted Congress to come up with a NEW law because he wasn't satisfied with the dozens and dozens of laws already on the books. He demanded that Congress write a NEW law that changed the laws he didn't want to enforce and make them different. America has plenty of immigration laws, duly passed by the Legislative Branch, which the Executive Branch (ie. Obama) decided to ignore and not enforce since Obama didn't like them. That's why he didn't request time to address the English speaking citizens of the US, but he made sure his speech was heard on Univision.

That's why he didn't request time to address the English speaking citizens of the US, but he made sure his speech was heard on Univision.

I don't know if he didn't request time or the various stations/networks simply didn't allocate it since it fell in the middle of prime time BUT have you considered that the subject would have been almost exclusively important to the viewers of Univision? I was surprised at quite a few comments I read after the fact griping about why so-and-so's favorite show was interrupted by nothing more important than a presidential speech. Perhaps he is getting the audience he intended.

He wanted Congress to come up with a NEW law because he wasn't satisfied with the dozens and dozens of laws already on the books.

It's not just the President who wants new laws. Both parties in Congress want new laws, and quite a few states are screaming for new laws. No one seems to be happy with the way things are working. The problem is getting everyone to agree on what to do.

It's not just the President who wants new laws. Both parties in Congress want new laws, and quite a few states are screaming for new laws. No one seems to be happy with the way things are working. The problem is getting everyone to agree on what to do.

A solution to that problem is for the President to actually be a leader instead of a panderer and to sell the entire nation on why the program he wants is the one people should support. But, for any President to do that, he has to actually have leadership skills. That's another reason why there was no request for airtime on the major networks.

A solution to that problem is for the President to actually be a leader instead of a panderer and to sell the entire nation on why the program he wants is the one people should support. But, for any President to do that, he has to actually have leadership skills. That's another reason why there was no request for airtime on the major networks.

I am pretty sure that was his intent with the most recent speech. Just what has/hasn't he done that would earn your label as lack of leadership? Although I am not privy to the goings on behind the scenes it seems that before he took his recent step he would have approached members of both parties to find consensus. Either he didn't do that or there was no consensus (which would be my personal choice given the repeated "no" chorus from the Republicans. Were I in Obama's shoes I might have made the same choice - to hell with the Republicans.

Either he didn't do that or there was no consensus

There was no consensus. Several immigration bills have been discussed in both houses of Congress. Consensus is hard to reach not only because of party but geography. And to be honest, not all of the immigration problem is Hispanic. Large number of undocumented Czech immigrants in this country right now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom