• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old School Hip-Hop Question?

After the growing trends of Old School Hip-Hop stations that launched in Dallas, Houston, Philly, St. Louis and now Atlanta, what station could take a chance in NYC? I dont have the 18-34 25-54 numbers but I think 93.1 should flip or 92.3 but i dont think thats going to happen with 92.3.
97.1 and 105.1 does not play Old School Hip Hop in their playlist, just currents. 105.1 is not going nowhere since theres alot of money invested in the station.
I thought 103.9 was going to flip to that format because it would be more appealing since "The Birthplace of Hip-Hop" started in the Bronx, but instead went R&B.
I dont think 103.9 is hurting 107.5 because of their walkee talkee radio reception. You can barely get it in harlem or times sq.
Just wanna know your thoughts.

After the growing trends of Old School Hip-Hop stations that launched in Dallas, Houston, Philly, St. Louis and now Atlanta, what station could take a chance in NYC? I dont have the 18-34 25-54 numbers but I think 93.1 should flip or 92.3 but i dont think thats going to happen with 92.3.
97.1 and 105.1 does not play Old School Hip Hop in their playlist, just currents. 105.1 is not going nowhere since theres alot of money invested in the station.
I thought 103.9 was going to flip to that format because it would be more appealing since "The Birthplace of Hip-Hop" started in the Bronx, but instead went R&B.
I dont think 103.9 is hurting 107.5 because of their walkee talkee radio reception. You can barely get it in harlem or times sq.
Just wanna know your thoughts.

Glad to see some markets doing something different, but to me local terrestrial radio is dead. TuneIn Radio app for me to hear these streams on a daily basis.

If anyone were to do it, if say 103.9 would be best for the job. The signals hits the demographics they need and the rimshot signal may be better served targeting a niche rather than failing to compete with big signal WBLS.

The NYC radio dial is simply too conservative for these types of niche formats. I would love to see an old school hip hop station, but I don't expect it to happen here anytime soon.

I'd be curious as to how well these stations bill. Hip hop targets the younger demos, but if you're talking about a "classic" hip hop station then you're targeting the age 30-40+ demographic. Are people still listening to hip hop at this age, or have they grown out of it by that point?

If anyone were to do it, if say 103.9 would be best for the job. The signals hits the demographics they need and the rimshot signal may be better served targeting a niche rather than failing to compete with big signal WBLS.

I wouldn't want them to change from the R&B format on 103.9. As an R&B fan, I have all but forgotten about BLS at this point. 103.9 has a much larger playlist, and the DJ's are great too. BLS sounds too stale and their commercial load makes the station unlistenable.

The NYC radio dial is simply too conservative for these types of niche formats. I would love to see an old school hip hop station, but I don't expect it to happen here anytime soon.

I'd be curious as to how well these stations bill. Hip hop targets the younger demos, but if you're talking about a "classic" hip hop station then you're targeting the age 30-40+ demographic. Are people still listening to hip hop at this age, or have they grown out of it by that point?

It really is too conservative. I think it would happen if the numbers is Houston KROI-FM does well and WPHI-FM Philly does well then i think someone will lean in that direction. Yaknow. 30-40+ demos dont always have a taste for R&B. Hip Hop started in the 70s and the 30-40+ crowd lived around the Golden Era. Most of those folks listen to online radio for Old School Hip-Hop.
I just think its a void in NYC a.k.a the mecca of Hip-Hop. Theres alot of money on the table and owners are starting to notice and that format can be ran cheap.

I wouldn't want them to change from the R&B format on 103.9. As an R&B fan, I have all but forgotten about BLS at this point. 103.9 has a much larger playlist, and the DJ's are great too. BLS sounds too stale and their commercial load makes the station unlistenable.

PREACH!!! I wish 103.9 switched to 95.5. I dont like skip dillard but i like him as a person

As much as I'd (personally) like to hear a new NYC format while driving through en route to Long Island, 412, the word 'tradition' is not in the vocabulary of certain radio companies.

I've enjoyed driving to and from Philly and New York markets and hearing things like 'Alice' 104.5, and Blink (Pink?) 102.7 in NYC plus WXRK 92.3's modern rock. Gimme something different, and spare me the 'Black Magic Woman' from WAXQ, or 'Baby Now That I've Found You' from WCBS-FM. I have a car radio and can find another station after maybe 3/4s of an hour once I start to detect a cycle of ennui.

I remember a line from son Lamont Sanford, in a show from the Seventies, when he entered the junkyard office and saw his Dad with a bunch of peers from the past:
'What is this?' he asked, 'A meeting of the gray panthers?'

So anyway, what demo would old-school Hip-Hop, now three and a half decades old, reach effectively?

I guess we'll find out soon, from markets like Houston, Dallas, St. Louis et al.

It's pretty sad that the new 103.9, with a signal that gets into NYC, doesnt show up in the ratings, yet suburban stations like NJ 101.5, WJLK, WKMK, WXPK and WWZY all at least show up! (And don't give me that "only stations that pay for ratings are shown." Crap. Cumulus has a corporate deal for NYC. I'm SURE 103.9 is in that deal.)

I think 103.9 may go old school Hip Hop after being online for about a year. It is not chipping away from WBLS Enough to mean anything. With Urban ACs now starting to play some old school hip hop that change wouldn't be much of a stretch. The Station could actually "Evolve" to that format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom