• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

LA Times: 'Today' chief Jamie Horowitz ousted as NBC morning woes continue

F

FredLeonard

This is like the last episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, when everybody got fired but Ted.

LA Times said:
On Monday the network pushed out the executive brought in to turn around the show, just four months after snatching him away from ESPN and about two months after he first appeared around the NBC offices.
READ MORE
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...g-woes-continue-20141117-story.html?track=rss

Only working two months? What did they expect, a miracle? Meanwhile, Matt remains untouchable with a fat new contract.

I don't see significant improvment until Matt either leaves or something else occurs with him to make viewers like him again.

He's not really doing anything wrong, people have just moved on to another flavor. Viewers are fickle. Those wanting the soft stuff have rediscovered GMA, and CBS puts on a far better first hour product for those wanting harder news.

CBS puts on a far better first hour product for those wanting harder news.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Those who really want harder news go to Morning Edition. Or read The Times.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Those who really want harder news go to Morning Edition. Or read The Times.

For those of us troglodytes who no longer have radios in their homes and cannot afford subscriptions to The Times, the CBS Morning News represents the best available alternative of the broadcast and cable choices to go along with our morning sip from the La Brea Tar Pits.

For those of us troglodytes who no longer have radios in their homes and cannot afford subscriptions to The Times, the CBS Morning News represents the best available alternative of the broadcast and cable choices to go along with our morning sip from the La Brea Tar Pits.

If you're in LA (La Brea reference), the LA Times is still a pretty good newspaper and often ahead of the New York Times in media coverage. Other Tribune papers are also pretty good, as well as the Boston Globe. But why subscribe? Read online.

Another "Charlie, Norah and Gayle in the Moirning" fan checking in! GMA and Today have way too much entertainment fluff. Why do I care about Kim Kardashian's rear end or some fight with a rap star and his wife? I want real news dammit!
I would listen to Morning Edition but I don't have time in the early mornings here.

-crainbebo

Another "Charlie, Norah and Gayle in the Moirning" fan checking in! GMA and Today have way too much entertainment fluff. Why do I care about Kim Kardashian's rear end or some fight with a rap star and his wife? I want real news dammit!

-crainbebo

Gayle's rear end is even more prominent than Kim's. Except for the opening, she and Charlie aren't on together. Today changes hosts at 9 and goes all fluff for two hours. CBS changes hosts and goes all fluff at 8.

Seems Charlie has trouble getting guests, so it's mostly the same paid "consultants" morning after morning droning on about the same topics. At least CBS got rid of the cop flack after his attempt to shill for the NSA.

Notice how the set is decorated with mementos of the days when CBS News had some class as this show makes it obvious it no longer does.

The CBS owned station in my area has so little confidence in this show, they continue their own morning show after 7am on the CW (and they keep reminding people of that during the local cut-aways from the network show).

You can't blame Charlie for how pathetic the CBS show is. They saddled the show with the guy who produced Morning Joe (yuck). CBS was at its best in the morning when they did an actual news broadcast (The CBS Morning News with Hughes Rudd) and then Captain at 8. They can't bring back Captain but they could still try a real news broadcast.

PS: Just happened to flip on TV and saw what I assumed was another infomercial: Tony Robbins pitching a book on investing (now he's an expert on that, too). It was the usual infomercial format: Faux interview with fawning "host" tossing a soft ball question and guest goes on at length with the pitch, without challenge or interruption. Then I realized, this was the Today Show. The fawning interviewers were Kathy Lee and daHo.

I have to wonder: Has the Today Show become an infomercial? Do Tony Robbins and others pay to get on and make their pitches? Wouldn't be the first time an actual talk show has gone pay to play.

Last edited:

Were you referring to "CBS This Morning" or the TV news program actually titled "CBS Morning News"?

Matt is behind it all

First Ann Curry. Now the new boss of the show. Matt is clearly the problem. How does he get this much clout? Gumbel tried this and failed but Matt gets away with it.

Matt Lauer behind ousting of Today show boss just THREE MONTHS after exec was hired to save floundering morning show

Jamie Horowitz 'was not the right fit' according to a memo from NBC News President Deborah Turness
Sources claim host Matt Lauer called for the dismisas
Horowitz wasn't due to officially take over until December 1, but had been carrying out a 'listening tour' since September
His style is said to have alienated presenters and producers alike
'He would pit anchors against anchors and producers against producers and it created a lot of internal problems,' said a source

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-floundering-morning-show.html#ixzz3JVPdS4Me

Ann wasn't any better for ratings than Matt was. A nice lady, but no personality.

If they keep bending to Lauer, then the show will follow him down the rat hole.

I don't listen to 'Morning Edition' because I want news, not some washed up hippie fantasy program.

First Ann Curry. Now the new boss of the show. Matt is clearly the problem. How does he get this much clout? Gumbel tried this and failed but Matt gets away with it.

Who is this "Gumbel"? Did he or she have more than one name?

I don't listen to 'Morning Edition' because I want news, not some washed up hippie fantasy program.

Right! Fair and balanced. You want the washed up Archie Bunker fantasy cable network.

Mario, Mario, Mario! Still at it.

You know who "Matt" is, but not "Gumbel?" You must be really young.

I did not know whom were you referring to by the name "Gumbel" (I was aware of "Today" having a host named Bryant Gumbel years ago before frankberry's message about him in this discussion). It was not because of my age or my youth.

I was sure you were referring to Matt Lauer by only "Matt" since you had quoted part of an article about him.

Last edited:
I did not know whom were you referring to by the name "Gumbel" (I was aware of "Today" having a host named Bryant Gumbel years ago before frankberry's message above). It was not because of my age or my youth.

I was sure you were referring to Matt Lauer by only "Matt" since you had quoted part of an article about him.

They have treatments for obsessive-compulsive disorder there days.

Funny that you only use your first name, despite your fixation on first AND last names. Or is 500 your last name?

Hell, this "Mario" dude knows who "Gumbel" is. He added an old Gumbel Today Show clip to his YouTube playlist a week ago. I say cut "Mario" some slack. It's just an act. Our very own Sheldon Cooper. Personally, I think it's all some damned funny shit. Everything but the "ba-zin-ga!"

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom