• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week - 710 kHz

Buckeyes2001

Star Participant
What can you all get on AM 710?

Here in Vermilion, OH it's blank during the day except some winter days where I've heard WOR. Nights it's mostly WOR but with IBOC hash from WLW. The Cuban is no stranger here on 710 especially on winter nights

Far northwest suburbs of Chicago.....

Days: Splatter from local WGN (720). I'm about 25 miles from their 50kw stick.

Nights: Nulling WGN usually produces WOR. I've heard Kansas City a couple of times (as WHB....not since the frequency swap with KCMO). I've never heard Cuba here on 710, since it's in the same as WGN's tower. Nulling WGN also nulls Cuba.

In East Tennessee, WEKC, Williamstown, KY by day, and the Cuban chorus or WOR by night

In Dayton, OH all splatter/iBoc from WLW but pre-IBOC, it was possible to get WOR at night

Near north Chicago suburbs it's WGN splatter by day & WOR at night, but much tougher to hear than it used to be. I don't know if it's because of WGN creating more noise than they used to or WOR being weaker than they used to be. Decades ago WOR used to put a much better signal in here.

710 in Yakima is a fair KIRO Seattle by day.
Sunsets, usually a mix of KIRO and KFIA Carmichael, CA (Religion).
Nights - KIRO and the Rebelde chorus, sometimes, mixing. KFIA is rare and I have gotten a once-only log of KSPN Los Angeles w/ ESPN under KIRO.
Sunrise I will hear KXMR Bismarck sometimes especially around late October and mid-late December when sunrise is 7:45AM here. I wake up at 6 for work weekdays and sometimes KXMR's morning show from KFAN Minneapolis is killing KIRO!
Still looking for KNUS Denver! And, looking for a miracle, but Phoenix and Amarillo.

-crainbebo

In Columbus, usually IBOC hash from WLW for the past several years but their IBOC has been off the past week or so. WLW sounds better than it has in ages, especially this time of year when the cold helps the signal's propagation.
At night, almost always WOR next to WLW, or under its hash.

From Tampa -

Daytime - The ongoing battle between the Cubans and the Miami station.

Same at night only once in a while WOR sneaks in.

Dallas is (or used to be) very interesting on 710. The dominant signal is KEEL, Shreveport, but if you null it you can get KGNC, Amarillo, which is a regional monster! It has been a number of years, however, and a new 700 has come on the air in the DFW area which makes things more difficult. Nighttime - there has never been even a trace of WOR in the Dallas area. However, in the pre-local 700 days, IBOC sideband hash could clearly be heard on 700 and 720, and nulling the hash with the directional ferrite, then looking at the angle with a precision surveyors compass clearly pointed straight at New York. The conclusion is obvious - WOR sideband hash was the hash I was hearing on 700 and 720 in Dallas. This has been a number of years ago, though.

From Houston daytime, in the pre-KSEV days, it was KEEL Shreveport with a very listenable signal. Now it is just splatter from KSEV daytime and nighttime.

Days, WLW spillover.

When WLW IBOC is off...
Sunrise, I've heard WFNR in Blacksburg VA.
Nights, WOR
Nights also, Cuba & once WAQI Miami.

I should be able to hear WEKC/4.2KW Williamsburg, KY at sunrise or sunset. Never have.

Day and night: KIRO Seattle. Occasionally KFIA near sunrise/sunset.
Years ago, KMPC (now KSPN) Los Angeles would sometimes come in around sunrise/sunset, but haven't heard from them in years.

Here in my corner of the metro Seattle area it's KIRO 25/7. With an extra helping of splatter all the way from 690 to 730.

WOR is one of the louder NYC stations to make it in here in the day, maybe 150 miles west of Central Park. At night they're not as solid as WFAN 660 used to be for Mets games, though. WOR often gets a few leaks in its basement from Rebelde. One would figure that Cuba would have the courtesy to power down when visiting batters Yasiel Puig or Jose Abreu came to bat, but nooooo ........

One late afternoon, though, maybe twelve years ago, I sat through 3/4 of an hour of the Michael Savage show on WOR. I kind of enjoyed it because he sounds like my Dad -- accent and politics and all. I stayed tuned anyway, because there was an English station under WOR.

Slowly I turned when they IDed as CJRN Niagara Falls. I didn't get it on tape though. I don't even know if they're still on the air anymore.

Nice catch with WAQI, Gelp !

WOR is one of the louder NYC stations to make it in here in the day, maybe 150 miles west of Central Park. At night they're not as solid as WFAN 660 used to be for Mets games, though. WOR often gets a few leaks in its basement from Rebelde. One would figure that Cuba would have the courtesy to power down when visiting batters Yasiel Puig or Jose Abreu came to bat, but nooooo ........

One late afternoon, though, maybe twelve years ago, I sat through 3/4 of an hour of the Michael Savage show on WOR. I kind of enjoyed it because he sounds like my Dad -- accent and politics and all. I stayed tuned anyway, because there was an English station under WOR.

Slowly I turned when they IDed as CJRN Niagara Falls. I didn't get it on tape though. I don't even know if they're still on the air anymore.

Nice catch with WAQI, Gelp !

Thanks, Steve.

I heard them around 10 PM on November 17, 2012, and they were broadcasting a Miami Heat game. Confirmed them using their internet stream. To say the least, neither of their patterns favor Cincinnati, so I was extremely lucky.

Always used to hear CHYR Leamington, Ontario. It's been gone for more than 20 years to FM 96.7. In later years, it was even on 710 at night. Maybe David or somebody remembers how far you could get CHYR 710 into Northern Michigan. I'd say it was probably pretty solid to West Branch, and probably along Lake Huron to Alpena.

KNUS here too, but I'm far enough (100 mi) from their site that I can hear KCMO underneath. Once upon a time there was WOR, KEEL, KMPC and KIRO when stations used to sign off at least one morning a week. Oddly, KGNC (~300 mi) was a tough catch in south central Colorado.

Wonder if you could catch KIRO in the KNUS null when it's almost Pacific time sunset? They send 50,000 watts non-directional from SRS/SSS.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom