• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bill Cosby ... Sexual Allegations

F

FredLeonard

Bill Cosby's scheduled appearance this Wednesday has been scrubbed. It's not clear whether by Cosby or by the show. Regis is now the scheduled guest.

Bill Cosby appearance on David Letterman CANCELLED amid uproar over sexual assault allegations

Guest spot on The Late Show scheduled for Wednesday cancelled
Cosby also dropped out of a spot on Queen Latifah's show on October 31
Rape claims have haunted the comedian since the 1970s
As many as 13 women have claimed Cosby sexually assaulted them in the past, but he has never been charged
Reignited last month after former Saturday Night Live writer Hannibal Buress called him a 'rapist' during a routine
Video of the rant spread online
Barbara Bowman, former actress and model, came forward saying Cosby raped her when she was 19

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sexual-assault-allegations.html#ixzz3JBPDn8wv

Cosby appeared this morning in an interview on NPR's Weekend Edition but went silent when asked about these accusations.

Bill Cosby refuses to address sexual assault allegations on NPR interview, will no longer appear on David Letterman’s show

Bill Cosby, in the midst of a serious PR crisis as accusations about him sexually assaulting women make headlines around the world, has decided to stay silent.

In an interview on NPR’s “Weekend Edition” that aired Saturday (where Cosby and his wife appeared to talk about loaning works to the National Museum of African Art), Cosby, 77, didn’t say a word when host Scott Simon asked him about the allegations. In the past, Cosby has repeatedly denied these claims.
READ MORE
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...no-longer-on-appear-on-david-lettermans-show/

Last edited by a moderator:
What could he do except to deny it which he has done through his spokesperson?

Tragic if true, but also tragic if not as his reputation is being wrongly smeared.

If not true, he could file a defamation suit, but that would only serve to further harm his reputation. This is no win for him.

If true, he's getting what he deserves, to a point, if he really did this, jail is the right place, but the Statute of Limitations has passed.

We'll see how this goes - if 10 years prison, or a little community service, or a little lie detector is fine for him, but for now no one knows. Imagine if this woman told the media 30 years ago that Cosby "raped" her. The Cosby Show would have lasted 6 episodes before it was yanked. Who knows what NBC Must See TV would end up being - would Jerry Seinfeld have started his beloved "Seinfeld" 3 or 4 years earlier?

-crainbebo

We'll see how this goes - if 10 years prison, or a little community service, or a little lie detector is fine for him, but for now no one knows. Imagine if this woman told the media 30 years ago that Cosby "raped" her. The Cosby Show would have lasted 6 episodes before it was yanked. Who knows what NBC Must See TV would end up being - would Jerry Seinfeld have started his beloved "Seinfeld" 3 or 4 years earlier?

-crainbebo

That's kind of a weird speculation. What would Cosby's cancellation have to do with Seinfeld? Whatever year Larry David came up with the idea of a "show about nothing" had nothing to do with Cosby.

I've heard for years that when Cosby was visiting or performing in Vegas, the managers of the hotel he stayed in always made sure that Cosby's wants and needs were supplied - and that meant multiple barely legal young women for his pleasure. The rape allegations are more recent, but given his 'tastes' - are not entirely surprising. Even if the rapes did not occur, Cosby has to find a way to defuse that without revealing the other allegations. In the eyes of most people, "America's Dad" should not be a rapist, but he shouldn't be a dirty old man sex addict either - especially considering he is famous for preaching to others about rectitude and family values.

It's classic he said/she said - only 20 years later.

How come NPR News or 60 Minutes aren't questioning these women accusing Cosby. Why didn't they come forward at the time? Why did they get a rape kit? Was this force or the threat of violence or was it they expected Cosby to advance their careers and he didn't? If they are making such charges, they should be subject to the same scrutiny as the person they charged.

The Bill Cosby Show is credited with reviving the sitcom genre (which was about ready to die before his show took off). Without the success of the Cosby Show, sitcoms might have been as dead as westerns, quiz shows or variety shows. Therefore, no Seinfeld - or Cheers, Frasier, Will and Grace or Big Bang Theory. On the plus side: No Friends either.

Bill Cosby Controversy Is NBC Conundrum: Will America Accept Him Playing A Family Man Again?

For a second time in a little over a year, NBC is facing a controversy over a project it had announced with fanfare at the summer TCA press tour. Last year, it was a Hillary Clinton miniseries starring Diane Lane. After two months of relentless pressure from the Republican National Committee, the network scrapped it.

This time it is a family sitcom starring Bill Cosby. Back in July, NBC executives touted the project as being on track for a series launch in summer or fall 2015. That plan may have been derailed by the resurfaced rape accusations against the veteran comedian.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/bill-cosby-controversy-nbc-series-plan-1201285605/

How come NPR News or 60 Minutes aren't questioning these women accusing Cosby. Why didn't they come forward at the time? Why did they get a rape kit? Was this force or the threat of violence or was it they expected Cosby to advance their careers and he didn't? If they are making such charges, they should be subject to the same scrutiny as the person they charged.

The Bill Cosby Show is credited with reviving the sitcom genre (which was about ready to die before his show took off). Without the success of the Cosby Show, sitcoms might have been as dead as westerns, quiz shows or variety shows. Therefore, no Seinfeld - or Cheers, Frasier, Will and Grace or Big Bang Theory. On the plus side: No Friends either.

Then there is the person who goes against the political grain, if you get my drift.

Though The Cosby Show arguably revived the sitcom genre, I never bought that "sitcoms would have died without Cosby" nonsense. Viewers had not particularly turned against sit-coms in the early 80s until Cosby - the problem was that most early 80s sitcoms prior to Cosby sucked. If Cosby hadn't come along, somebody else would have come up with a show that was a big hit, and that would have "revived" the genre. The sitcom format has historically been one of TV strongest performers. That it was moribund in the early 80s was only a blip, not a long lasting trend.

Though The Cosby Show arguably revived the sitcom genre, I never bought that "sitcoms would have died without Cosby" nonsense. Viewers had not particularly turned against sit-coms in the early 80s until Cosby - the problem was that most early 80s sitcoms prior to Cosby sucked. If Cosby hadn't come along, somebody else would have come up with a show that was a big hit, and that would have "revived" the genre. The sitcom format has historically been one of TV strongest performers. That it was moribund in the early 80s was only a blip, not a long lasting trend.

I don't buy that 80s sitcoms before Cosby (1984-85) "sucked." Cheers and Newhart preceded Cosby. A few others, like Square Pegs, were critically well-regarded but didn't catch on. Yes, a few bombs (always are). Mostly, the problem was the schedule in the first year of the decade was filled with fading, once great sitcoms from the 70s that stayed too long and had gotten old and tired. If anything, Cosby got people interested in sitcoms. The show generated buzz and the tide raised other boats. It also got the networks interested in sitcoms again and without network interest, no sitcoms. And to refresh everyone's memory, Seinfeld was not an instant hit. It ran first as a summer throw-away pilot and then as a short-run summer series before it made the regular schedule mid-season. It wasn't in the top 30 until season 4.

I don't buy that 80s sitcoms before Cosby (1984-85) "sucked." Cheers and Newhart preceded Cosby. A few others, like Square Pegs, were critically well-regarded but didn't catch on. Yes, a few bombs (always are). Mostly, the problem was the schedule in the first year of the decade was filled with fading, once great sitcoms from the 70s that stayed too long and had gotten old and tired. If anything, Cosby got people interested in sitcoms. The show generated buzz and the tide raised other boats. It also got the networks interested in sitcoms again and without network interest, no sitcoms. And to refresh everyone's memory, Seinfeld was not an instant hit. It ran first as a summer throw-away pilot and then as a short-run summer series before it made the regular schedule mid-season. It wasn't in the top 30 until season 4.

Point taken. I guess I was using "sucked" as short-hand, without doing the research. Cheers premiered 2 seasons before Cosby, and was certainly a hit. And I liked Square Pegs a lot. I was thinking more of shows like Gimme A Break and Facts of Life - though they were middling hits, I found them unwatchable. Bosom Buddies has enjoyed revivionist status as a good show, but really - it wasn't - Tom Hanks or not. Then there was the syndicated junk like Charles in Charge and (GAG!) Small Wonder. Cheers aside, the early 80s were not a golden era for sitcoms.

What could this mean for "The Cosby Show" reruns on TV Land, and other cable networks? Would they slowly be removed? I doubt "A Different World" would be affected, but it was a Cosby spinoff and created by Cosby.

Last edited:
I've been a fan of Bill Cosby most of my life, and I hope the accusations aren't true, but I won't be foolish enough to say it didn't happen. But I agree this is basically a he said/she said issue that we may never know the whole truth on. I also agree that the accusers' pasts should be investigated as well. It seems like the media is taking the side of the victims unquestioned, but Cosby isn't doing enough to defend himself if the accusations are false. Then it could also be possible that he had affairs with some of the accusers and they jumped on the bandwagon of claiming he raped them when they thought they could make a buck off of it. It could be that nobody is totally innocent in all this.

If Cosby is guilty then he should be exposed for what he's done and face the consequences for it. On the other hand, if any of his accusers aren't telling the whole truth, they should be exposed as well. But we will probably never know the whole truth.

Last edited:
I don't believe it.

Although I don't care for his comments about people like me (I lived with my parents after college and have never had a real job), other than that I respect the man.

Janice Dickinson Claims Bill Cosby Sexually Assaulted Her (Video)

Add another name to the list of women who claim they've been sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby, and this one is very familiar.

Janice Dickinson, former America's Next Top Model host, has come forward to claim that the comedian, who's recently been besieged by rape allegations, sexually assaulted her.

Dickinson appeared on Entertainment Tonight on Tuesday to make her claim of sexual assault, which she says took place in 1982.

Watch the video.

http://www.thewrap.com/janice-dicki...etter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mailchimp

Netflix Shelves Bill Cosby Special; NBC Next?

With the controversy surrounding Bill Cosby showing no signs of subsiding as more women come forward with rape allegations, Netflix has scrapped its plans to premiere the Bill Cosby comedy special it has scheduled for next week. “At this time we are postponing the launch of the new stand up comedy special ‘Bill Cosby 77′,” Netflix said in a statement.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/bill-cosby-special-shelved-netflix-nbc-series-1201288686/

Howard Stern Calls Bill Cosby 'The Biggest Hypocrite In The World'

I love that this guy … let’s say that this stuff is true … this guy’s the biggest hypocrite in the world. Every minute he’s giving a morality lesson to comedians and everyone else, and he’s “America’s father” and blah blah blah, horseshit horseshit horseshit. It’s not unlike when you see these preachers, who then get exposed. They’re against homosexuality, and you find out they’re blowing a dude in the bathroom. It’s just such hypocrisy.

http://fansided.com/2014/11/18/howard-stern-bill-cosby-biggest-hypocrite/

Baba Booey

How long before somebody calls for a boycott of Jello Pudding?

Bill Cosby Comedy Scrapped by NBC Amid Rape Allegations

Bill Cosby has lost another gig, as rape allegations against him continue to mount.

NBC has decided not to go forward with a proposed comedy series that would have starred the former “The Cosby Show” comedian, amid allegations from multiple women that he had sexually assaulted them, an individual familiar with the decision told TheWrap on Wednesday.

http://www.thewrap.com/bill-cosby-c...etter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mailchimp

In addition to NBC and Netflix cancelling out on Cosby...

TVLand has taken The Cosby Show off its schedule.

Stern, for once, has a point. If the allegations are true than Cos os a hypocrite.

When you scold others, you'd better be pure. Remember, this latest maelstrom started as the result of a comedian in Philly calling Cos out because he urged young men to pull up their pants.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom