Hot AC days/CHR nights

Thread: Hot AC days/CHR nights

Hot AC days/CHR nights

Are there any current Hot AC stations out there that have the dual personality of Hot AC during the day but acting more like CHR at night? What's the history of such a format?

Thanks.

Unregistered

Demo changes during the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonthegreat View Post

Are there any current Hot AC stations out there that have the dual personality of Hot AC during the day but acting more like CHR at night? What's the history of such a format?
    Thanks.
    Most CHR's are a little more "AC" during the midday.

Most of the old line "Top 40's" would be more adult during the day...and more CHR/younger appear during the afternooon drive and nights when school is out.

I've heard that the satellite format on WKBC North Wilkesboro NC is like this.

WQSM Fayetteville NC used to have 80s music during lunch and actually sounded pretty good. I was trying to listen to classic country on WBRF, but anyway ...

WVMJ plays an Adult CHR format, playing no rap that isn't in the hot AC format's top 50, but at the same time not playing any songs that are high on the CHR chart ( Example: they don't play Alessia Cara's "Here" but playing Ellie Goulding's "on my mind" , I don't know why they play that when it isn't in the HAC Top 50) but at night they play Fetty Wap, Omarion, Silento, Flo Rida, Afrojack and other artists not fitting the Hot AC format. Currently they are strictly Adult CHR, as there isn't much rap/ non Hot AC EDM on the chart) It is from NH

Account Closed
    This is nothing new, as others have said.

Especially in smaller markets, there was a tendency to be MOR or AC in the daytime and then top-40 at night. Even the then-prevalent syndicated formats on tape were aware of this: Century 21 Programming for years sequenced the music on the reels for the Z Format (top-40/CHR), A-C Format, and Mellow A-C Format so that songs that crossed between formats were on the same reel number on all formats, and within two or three positions on the reels, all to facilitate dayparting.