• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New oldies station on air: WOLD-LP 107.9 FM Woodbridge

U

Unregistered

New station on the air in the last couple days playing oldies:
WOLD-LP 107.9 FM Woodbridge

At first I thought it was a pirate. I guess we won't be hearing the pirate in Perth Amboy on 107.9 anymore :)

I found the station totally by chance today while looking for some music to listen to while I prepared dinner.. what a happy accident!! It's an awesome mix & it's not "the same old stuff" when it comes to the oldies! Will set one of my car presets to this also!

Station has an OK signal in North Plainfield - not bad for an LPFM out of Woodbridge - will take it on the road shortly when I go for some takeout for me and the Mrs.

I'm really surprised that WOLD was approved. These are fantastic call letters and are being used by 102.5 FM in Marion, Virginia.

I like WZFI-FM. What do you think?

I'm really surprised that WOLD was approved. These are fantastic call letters and are being used by 102.5 FM in Marion, Virginia.

LPFM is a different class of service, and calls can be duplicated.

They still must be approved by the holder of the original callsign iirc. In this case WOLD AM and if it does not exists, then the FM or TV using the callsign.

Most will allow it as long as its not in the same market....

I Start losing WOLD in North Brunswick or Somerset and can barely pick it up where I live in South Brunswick. In Cranford around Parkway Exit 136 it gets overpowered by a foreign language station (arabic?) that i would guess is the pirate.

First, I did want to say that this station is one of the best oldies stations I have ever heard with its wide range of songs from the 50's thru the 80's. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is why the station has horrible reception in its own 'COL" of Woodbridge and wondering why the COL wasn't Edison instead. The station comes in clear in most of Middlesex , Eastern Somerset, Western Union, and Northern Monmouth Counties. I even was able to pick up traces of the station signal in the Clinton/Flemington area, Freehold, and Eatontown areas which is a good 25 miles from the transmitter. But when you are up in Woodbridge, the station gets killed off by a Spanish Pirate from Perth Amboy and then when you travel to Colonia/Iselin, a French/Caribbean Language Pirate station starts to kick in probably from Elizabeth and it seems that Pirate is extremely strong since WOLD's signal is gone by the time you enter Union County on the parkway. If it wasn't for these Pirates, the stations reach would be a lot further than it currently is. I wish the FCC could shut these pirate stations down but I read somewhere the LP stations don't have much say in anything outside their few mile contour around their transmitter.

Actually its a Hatian Pirate located up in Irvington,NJ just north of the Union Toll Plaza...
and as far as the 107.9 Pirate from Perth Amboy... That SOB Moved down to 102.3fm at Night and Increased his power. Now interfering with My WUPC-LP on 102.3 Down in Arrowhead Village, NJ near Wall Township. their signal is running down along the coast. fairly strong. If anyone has any Idea or address to these Guys( I think they were called Mas-107.9 ) I sure would Like that Info..

I Start losing WOLD in North Brunswick or Somerset and can barely pick it up where I live in South Brunswick. In Cranford around Parkway Exit 136 it gets overpowered by a foreign language station (arabic?) that i would guess is the pirate.

I found WOLD by accident and was surprised by how professional they sound....heck, they even had traffic reports and a news service. Nice. Oldies mix was also pretty good. Good luck to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom