• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Howie Carr is OUT at WRKO

No secret to us..who may be in? Posts
on Twitter are saying Cox 25 has let
Doug VB Goudie and Butch Stearns go
in cost cutting. Could Jay Severin be
pulled away from Blaze Radio? And
who is the big name WUFC is
hinting at? Note btw that 1510
already runs Blaze news.

Talking to WMEX ...can only mean
WUFC 1510 which did announce it
was trying to get the WMEX calls back.

Meanwhile Cox/Fox 25 cut his ex-
Producer Doug VB Goudie today.
Poss successor in RKO pm drive?

Talking to WMEX ...can only mean
WUFC 1510 which did announce it
was trying to get the WMEX calls back.

I'm sure he's talking to everybody! He needs to get on the air in Boston somehow for this whole thing to work. Just thinking of anyplace else that he could show up:

590AM/950AM/1150AM....it's sold time...but I think 590AM would expect Howie to pay THEM...not the other way around. ;-)

1260AM is up in the air.

1330? Same as 590...they want to be paid.

1510AM seems to be the logical place...they just have to come to an agreement. Although I don't hear much local sales sucess on the air at 1510AM/WUFC. Mostly national crappy spots. I have not heard much local commercial inventory.

If WRKO puts a capable host in afternoon drive....Howie won't have much of a chance on some outlier signal. 830AM puts out a pretty good signal...but I don't think that's enough...and will people find him? (Not if it's too difficult.)

Howie crapped on WRKO and Entercom all the time. Complainingg about their signal, etc. WRKO had a great signal compared to anything he is going to get now. As for Enetercom management...well that's something everyone who has a job knows....that you put up with management in return for the paycheck.

And in Howie's case it was a very large paycheck.

I'm surprised that he couldn't come to SOME kind of an agreement with WRKO. They have a new manager in Boston, Greg Kaufman, who, from what I can see seems to much more professional than his past managers. They say the best neghotiation is when both sides are not happy afterwards.

However, insisting on getting everything you want.....may leave you in Howies current predicament.

yes...btw Money Matters studios are in Needham nr Ch 5...a bit less than 5 miles from Howie's home. Easy commute

yes...btw Money Matters studios are in Needham nr Ch 5...a bit less than 5 miles from Howie's home. Easy commute

We learned from his car crash incident that he has ISDN capabilities at his home.

Has he ever done the show from home before the car crash?

Herald also had article "I've had a good run"
http://www.bostonherald.com/inside_track/the_inside_track/2014/11/fox_s_vb_i_had_a_good_run

>>Popular Fox 25 news personality VB, aka Doug Goudie, was shown the door yesterday, just weeks after Cox Media Group took control of the station and shifted the focus of the morning news from interviews, opinions and fluffy fare to hard, breaking news. “Their philosophy of news was very different,” VB told the Track. “It was nothing I could do, nothing I wanted to do, so by mutual agreement I’m no longer working at Fox 25.”

We learned from his car crash incident that he has ISDN capabilities at his home.

Has he ever done the show from home before the car crash?

It wasn't ISDN, it was a Comrex Access audio over IP. With a broadband or wireless connection you can be on the air in mere seconds using the Access. Nice box!

Carr certainly cheapened the dialogue on talk radio, but his replacements this week seem even worse.

Carr certainly cheapened the dialogue on talk radio, but his replacements this week seem even worse.

I thought Mike Seigal was pretty good IMHO. Obviously capable...lots of phone calls.

He is lacking any sense of humor as Raccoon said...and any localism.

Entercom owned howiecarr.com
but Howie must have bought it;
instead of redirecting to WRKO
it now redirects to his own
howiecarrshow.com

It wasn't ISDN, it was a Comrex Access audio over IP. With a broadband or wireless connection you can be on the air in mere seconds using the Access. Nice box!

sandy stated on air that they "ran a line out". maybe a truck?

made it clear that this was not a pre-existing capability, nor one which would remain.

-----
siegal is a total snooze! i couldn't stick with the show for long -- didn't the first 25 callers all ask "where's howie?"

Kind of pathetic that Howie is so hateful about WRKO, which really overpaid him over the last few years.

How long was Howie at RKO? and which station was his first radio talk show gig at?

Last edited:
Kind of pathetic that Howie is so hateful about WRKO, which really overpaid him over the last few years.

Yes, if that's what "prison" is like...sign me up! ;-)

How long was Howie at RKO? and which station was his first radio talk show gig at?

He started on WRKO, doing some fill-in and co-hosting. Made it over to co-owned (at the time) WHDH.

When they consolidated the talk format onto one station, he moved back over to WRKO.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom