• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CKKL Ottawa (Bob FM) changing formats

it appears everyone at CKKL was let go today and the website (http://www.939bobfm.com/) talks about pursuing a new opportunity. There doesn't seem to be much news on their plans. As of tonight it seems as though they're still doing the Bob format without jocks.

So I guess let the rampant speculation begin? Given the timing I'm going to guess stunting with Christmas music (probably starting Wednesday) until the new year before the new format rolls out. I can't see a fourth Top 40 (but I said that about the third) in this market so maybe an Active Rock/AAA station of some sort to plug the hole The Bear left?

Last edited:
Wow! This is huge news to me. I liked BOB, but would welcome a new Bear. At least Boom 99.7 will fill any hole BOB leaves...despite it's inferior to Bob's signal.
I noticed there's a link to their Brockville sister station, which is barely audible in the farthest southern parts of the city. I only get that station if conditions are right.

They could go with Virgin radio as a hit music station if desired, but there's enough hit music in Ottawa. Keep on mind Bell DOES own the rights to the name Bear FM, but I honestly do not know if that will do any better than BOB was already doing.

Well It could very well be the bear tomorrow. A promo ran all afternoon saying a new station starts tomorrow with the Bear growl. It was followed by 2 songs, I Wanna Rock and Rock You. We'll see in a few hours.

I hate country but it might be a smart move. 101.1 CKBY can't cover Ottawa completely and 93.9 CKKL has full market coverage. I think we will see country fans in Ottawa tuning in to CKKL before tuning into CKBY. In the future we may see CKBY country moving over to 92.3 and target Smiths Falls, Perth and bring something new to 101.1

I hate country but it might be a smart move. 101.1 CKBY can't cover Ottawa completely and 93.9 CKKL has full market coverage. I think we will see country fans in Ottawa tuning in to CKKL before tuning into CKBY. In the future we may see CKBY country moving over to 92.3 and target Smiths Falls, Perth and bring something new to 101.1

You nailed the signal issues. Country was originally at 105.3, but they moved it to 101.1 along with the calls and turned 105.3 to CISS. When that happened many people complained they could no longer hear their favourite music. Keep in mind just how bad most FM receivers are that consumers buy, add overload to that and 101.1 is reduced to being a station that covers 40% of the market. CKKL does have full coverage (actually about 98% of the market, it's still a bit rough on downtown streets on most receivers, but it does enjoy building penetration in the towers and condos that 101.1 just does not have. Another thing: 101.1 is not in stereo. Sure you might get an indicator but most of the time the music is mono. Only some of the time you get stereo music there. For me FM mono sounds much worse than AM mono does...it's cold and flat.

One thing CKBY has is there long standing brand ooh ya! they changed branding to Country 101 not to long ago! maybe they may need to switch back to 105.3 and move CISS format to 101.3 to stay in the Ottawa market. I think we will see more changes in the Ottawa market. I would love to be a fly on the wall at Rogers radio
Ottawa because they must know they are going to make changes fast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom