• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Just when you thought Michael Bolton couldn't get any worse

Love me some Michael Bolton! :)

For all the Michael Bolton haters, he can't be that bad. He was pretty successful during the 80's and into the 90's. Our local traditional soft AC FM station here will not play ANY of his music, even though, oddly enough, they'll play "softer" music than Bolton's from artists such as Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, and Barry Manilow. My local, online version of traditional soft AC does play Bolton's music, however. :)

Oh yeah...and who can forget that classic SNL skit with Michael Bolton singing about musicians for free-range chickens? :D

https://screen.yahoo.com/musicians-free-range-chickens-000000671.html

Here's yet another dictionary entry that includes the definition of ballad being expanded to equaling a slow, sentimental song: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ballad

The definition that you are using is more commonly associated with folk music. Since this thread is about Michael Bolton, who is a pop singer, then the pop music definition applies.

Last edited:
And he's been on the last two "Two and a Half Men" episodes.

Walden's latest girlfriend said "Buble!" So Walden sent him packing. "When a Man Loves Grilled Cheese ..."

And in 2030, Bolton shows up again. And Walden's girl is his now. "How do you not age?"

"When a Man Steals a Woman ..."

I bought an upscale motorcycle from a guy a few years ago and it came with its own mp3 player - filled with Michael Bolton music. I listened to some of it on my long ride home and thought my ears might be bleeding inside my helmet. It was the most god-awful smoozy mess I have ever heard made by someone who, if he has actual talent, wasn't apparent on this particular album.

I still love and appreciate the music of Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Earl Grant, John Denver and most of all, Dean Martin. I cannot imagine why people would choose to listen to Bolton's wailing when there are so many other great vocalists available.

As for "Two and A Half Men", it died big time after Season 6 (Sheen's leaving) but not totally because of Charlie's absence. Rather, for some odd reason, the writers/producers saw fit to exclude the excellent supporting cast they had created in the previous five seasons. In addition to the replacement of Charlie by the atrociously untalented Kutcher, killed what once was a great sitcom.

I remember when Michael Bolton came out with "When a man loves a women" I found him OK not really ear bleeding.. I can 't even remember his other hits. I was a DJ in the 80's. But I think Boltons' long hair sold him to women. Like a cross between Peter Frampton's hair and Fabio. When he cut his hair I think his downfall started.

Micheal Bolton sort of struck me as the Celine Dion of male AC ballad singers. Maybe because they were hot AC stars during the same general period I learned about them (early 90's, when I became aware of both of them).

But I did like his song "Steel Bars" o.k.

I think his appeal wasn't just the look, but he also has a decent voice. Whether one likes him or not -- the guy can sing. Sort of like a lower pitched version of Steve Perry, the Journey singer.

A new hidden-camera prank show called "Repeat After Me" had Michael in a grocery store. He was being told what to do by the Mom on "The Goldbergs" but he appeared to be talking to himself and doing other crazy things, such as singing to an orange. He actually sounded good until he started hitting high notes, and that's where he gets annoying.

On "Glee", a Fox News program on Sue Sylvester had Bolton and others interviewed. He denied any connection with her and said he was not the father of her child.

"I bought a motorcycle from a guy a few years ago and it came with its own MPx player - filled with Michael Bolton recordings. I listened to some of it on my long ride home and thought my ears might be bleeding inside my helmet. It was the most god-awful smoozy mess I have ever heard made by someone who, if he has actual talent, wasn't apparent on this particular album."

The guy must have been a sadomasochist. (Know who your friends are/who you're dealling with!) Hopefully he didn't factor it into the bike's sale price.

Whether you like Bolton's power ballads or not, his work as an actor, even if only in cameos where he plays a version of himself, is something different and should be evaluated separately from his music.

That would all be well and good but the discussion was focused upon his music. Someone parenthetically added the comment about his acting.

I have done something similar before on this board when Frank Sinatra was discussed. I have always wondered how anyone could like his music. There are many reasons I won't go into now BUT I always liked his movie work and considered him a much better actor than singert.

Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and Whitney Houston did tons of power ballads in the 90s.

Which is probably why I dislike those artists. I don't like artists, or people, who shout to make their work feel worthwhile. An artist can be forceful without yelling (think Gary Puckett) but it takes a special talent.

It's exactly as Avid Listener said. The meaning of the word ballad has expanded to mean all popular songs with a slow tempo. Josh Groban would be considered a balladeer because he sings slow songs.

Disagree. A ballad is a story told in song - think Burl Ives. It is definitely NOT Josh Groban yelling as if he just dropped his ball peen hammer on his winkie.

Weird. I heard him sing "When a Man Loves a Woman" and it wasn't annoying for me until they got to that high note. Am I finally adjusting to him?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom