• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

930 KHJ stunting w/God rock

Presenting contemporary religious music from their web stream and counting down the days to their upcoming talk format. It's got a nice sound to it. They periodically switch to the talk feed, but mostly music.

Last edited:
It's fun to imagine what could have been: "KHJ---that's Casting Crowns and All You've Ever Wanted, heavy demand on the Bossline! I'm The Real Don Steele on a fractious Friday!" :)

With KHJ becoming an affiliate of the Immaculate Heart Radio network on November 17, Liberman Broadcasting has moved its regional Mexican "La Ranchera" format to KWIZ in Santa Ana, which was formerly a Spanish-language CHR station known as "La Rockola 96.7." I hope KHJ will play some contemporary Christian music and not be just a talk station. KHJ covers many areas where KFSH does not come in clearly and Los Angeles hasn't had a Christian music station since 2003 when KFSG went off the air.

It's fun to imagine what could have been: "KHJ---that's Casting Crowns and All You've Ever Wanted, heavy demand on the Bossline! I'm The Real Don Steele on a fractious Friday!" :)

I've heard something similar, Steve. Johnny Magnus was on KBRT in 1980 playing (then) Contemporary Christian. A bit strange to hear Johnny doing "Instant Replays" and coming off the back of (no pun intended) God-knows-what with "Wow!" Can't remember if he did "Weather With A Beat" there or not...and no idea what music he would have used.

I've heard something similar, Steve. Johnny Magnus was on KBRT in 1980 playing (then) Contemporary Christian. A bit strange to hear Johnny doing "Instant Replays" and coming off the back of (no pun intended) God-knows-what with "Wow!" Can't remember if he did "Weather With A Beat" there or not...and no idea what music he would have used.

May I suggest some new Johnny Mann jingles - "God Radio, 93 KHJ..." ..."More Jesus - KHJ" ..."Solid God Weekend...KHJ, Los Angeles."

Are they going to have 40/40 News?

Dang! Why didn't I think of that one?

Radio columnist Richard Wagoner says that KHJ's new manager was a fan of KHJ during the 1965-70 "Boss Radio" era. It would be nice if he brought back some of the ballad jingles of the 1970s. I think they would fit will with the Catholic format. And is KHJ going to be all talk or will there be some music programs too? Will there be any live-and-local hosts or will KHJ carry Immaculate Heart Radio network programming full-time?

Speaking of KHJ jingles, does anyone here know Ray Laine? He's a collector of KHJ airchecks, surveys, bumper stickers, key chains, record albums and any other KHJ memorabilia from the 1960s-70s-80s. After he moved many years ago to Golden, Colorado, I asked him if he had the "93 KHJ...Golden" jingle on his answering machine.

He did. Of course he did.

Speaking of KHJ jingles, does anyone here know Ray Laine? He's a collector of KHJ airchecks, surveys, bumper stickers, key chains, record albums and any other KHJ memorabilia from the 1960s-70s-80s. After he moved many years ago to Golden, Colorado, I asked him if he had the "93 KHJ...Golden" jingle on his answering machine.

He did. Of course he did.

If he had a second home in Golden Valley, MN he could change the jingle to "93 KHJ Double Golden."

Ooh, weird! I just had a flashback to the "Smokin' Oldies" era. While driving on the Santa Ana Freeway today, I saw a billboard advertising the new Immaculate Heart Radio affiliate. It depicts red ribbons and a large bow and proclaims, "Our gift to you: faith, hope, love" (quoting I Corinthians 13:13). The billboard includes the IHRadio.com web address but not the KHJ call letters. The station is identified as simply "AM 930."

I've listened to the station and the call letters are given only once an hour, for the legal ID: "KHJ, Los Angeles." Why are those heritage call letters, dating from 1922, no longer being emphasized?

I've listened to the station and the call letters are given only once an hour, for the legal ID: "KHJ, Los Angeles." Why are those heritage call letters, dating from 1922, no longer being emphasized?

Why didn't Liberman emphasize the call letters when it was La Ranchera? They only used them top-of-the-hour.

Why do hundreds of stations nationwide only give their call letters during the legal I.D.?

The best "why" question: Why do we even need call letters, other than FCC recordkeeping? Most of the world stopped requiring calls to be transmitted a long time ago. (Some countries never required it in the first place.)

Call letters were important in the early days of radio to gauge the stations transmission range - commonly called DX for distance. There was a brief time in 1922-23 when all California applicants to the old Federal Radio Commission with assigned call letters starting with KF, KG, or KH - thus KFI, KHJ, KFRC, KFBK, etc.

KFI, long before becoming a 50,000 watt clear channel station, got its frequency by proving to the powers that be that it had the greatest DX range, tradition says because owner Earle C Anthony (a UC Berkeley electrical engineering graduate who had been following radio technology since before 1912 at least) thought to use high pitched wind instruments rather than piano music in a range comparison test - responses came in from DX aficionados in the Midwest and even Pennsylvania.

Of course few broadcasters were competing on other frequencies at the time and Anthony had the only General Electric transmitter of its type on the west coast. He had merged his shared frequency station with several others to become "Radio Central Superstation" and he had the equipment and expertise to back up the hyperbole. He would go on to become the third President of the National Association of Broadcasters and it was during his term that the group for the first time acquired a paid staff.

Another KFI DX vignette (unfortunately not verified as to the date, but probably pre-1926) : the station reputedly offered a crate of California oranges to listeners in other states - and was so swamped with responses that it became cost prohibitive to send a normal size packing house crate of oranges to respondents. The station's answer? A mini-crate of exactly three large California Sunkist Valencia oranges - and no more such offers.

Last edited:
The first radio that my father owned had most of the call letters printed on the giant dial. Of course that was back before so many stations changed formats and call letters every two years. I wish we still had that radio. You can see many of the now-antique radios at http://www.antiqueradio.org/wooden.htm

LARadio.com today is reporting that the FCC has approved the sale of KTYM-1460 to Immaculate Heart Radio. I believe IHR was trying to purchase KTYM a year ago before they wound up buying KHJ. So will KTYM duplicate the Catholic programming of KHJ? And, if that is the case, why did IHR even need to buy KTYM? The station is only 500 watts at night.

So will KTYM duplicate the Catholic programming of KHJ? And, if that is the case, why did IHR even need to buy KTYM? The station is only 500 watts at night.

How many places are you going to ask that question? :p

Here is what I think, but I have no insider information to base it on.

I think IHR bought KTYM because nothing else was really available for sale at a reasonable price. When Liberman found out about the sale, I think he offered to sell them KHJ, which was not on the market at the time the KTYM sale was announced. And I wouldn't be surprised if the KTYM deal came with financial obligations if the sale didn't close. So it may have been a case of not wanting to write Trans-America a check and not come away with anything.

There's no point, as you imply above, in KTYM simply duplicating KHJ. But there is a fair number of Hispanic Roman Catholics in the L.A. market, a good chunk of them are within the KTYM signal, and many of those are older first-generation who may not speak Spanish (or at the least, prefer it). So if I were in the situation IHR is in, I'd take 1460 Spanish Catholic.

IMHO, YMMV.

I asked the question about iHeart's plans for KTYM on the KTYM thread and on this thread, which is about IHR buying KHJ. I covered both bases, so to speak. I remember when 94.3 in Garden Grove simulcast with 94.3 in Mission Hills (KYKF/KIKF). Other simulcasts included 540 and 690, the two 93.5's and the two 103.1's. Has there ever been an instance where two Los Angeles stations (other than AM-FM combos) simulcast? I just can't figure out why IHR wants KTYM unless the station will be something other than a KHJ simulcast. Does IHR operate any Spanish-language stations in other cities?

Does IHR operate any Spanish-language stations in other cities?

Not that I could tell from comparing schedules at their website, but apparently they diplex KCVV/1240 Sacramento, owned by the Diocese of Sacramento and programmed in Spanish, at the KSMH/1620 transmitter site.

Oh, and even a KHJ-KTYM simulcast wouldn't be two Los Angeles stations, technically. 1460 is COL Inglewood.

The basketball team that played at the old Forum was the Los Angeles Lakers, not the Inglewood Lakers. Hah! I gotcha there. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom