• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.5 Lexington WBUL-HD2

Looks like we are getting a new station here.

From all of the clear channel stations facebook pages: Testing our newest Lexington radio station today.. 98.5 FM. Can you hear it? ‪#‎ComingSoon‬

Wonder what it will be?

Funny, isn't it.

You have radio stations from Rewind to Kiss to Mix to Your 106.3 and Hot 102.5 and 104.5 The Cat....but you never see anyone whine about too much contemporary music in Lexington radio.

From RadioInsight:
"Edgewater Broadcasting’s 98.5 W253BK Winchester, KY CP seeks a modification to 250 watts at 150 meters rebroadcasting Clear Channel’s 98.1 WBUL-FM Lexington."

I also found this: From RadioInsight:
"Edgewater Broadcasting’s 98.5 W253BK Winchester, KY CP seeks a modification to 250 watts at 150 meters rebroadcasting Clear Channel’s 98.1 WBUL-FM Lexington."

Any speculation on what the format will be after Christmas? Surely they're not thinking about going after 96.1 and 101.5 with a classic country format. Well...then again, this is Clear Channel..err..."I Heart Media" we're talking about, so I wouldn't put it past em.

Trying to think what else format would work in this town? 98.5 the Fox (like in Louisville). Another rock station? ;) My 98.5? Gen X 98.5

I don't think another HOT AC station. I would like a repeat of WLAP on it. But wouldn't do any good during UK sports with The Bull.

Trying to think what else format would work in this town? 98.5 the Fox (like in Louisville). Another rock station? ;) My 98.5? Gen X 98.5

I don't think another HOT AC station. I would like a repeat of WLAP on it. But wouldn't do any good during UK sports with The Bull.

Yeah, even an alternative rock format could be a possibility. That is one format this market lacks. I could also see a WLAP simulcast, like you were saying.

The "Alt FM" format has been very popular with iHeartMedia on these translators in recent months. And they're definitely throwing it on in markets where they already have a rock station in the market... the alternative rock one has a playlist that includes stuff that doesn't quite fit in on rock stations, like Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, Jack Johnson, MGMT, Radiohead, Oasis, Goo Goo Dolls, The Cure, No Doubt, etc... essentially it is a lot like the Gen X format (which has failed everywhere except as a HD station in Wheat Ridge, CO that still exists on iHeartRadio) without the hip hop/R&B/dance music, and also with some newer stuff thrown in. They have launched this format on two translators in Cincinnati, where they already have a somewhat successful active rock station on the air.

Of course, even though this is the "most popular" of the current translator formats for iHeartMedia, a big difference between them and some other broadcasters (Cumulus...) is that they do put some time and effort into trying to find something that seems like it would work, and they do not necessarily insist that dozens of markets have the same five formats with the same five brands piped in from one computer in one state (at least not yet). So that leaves the door wide open... who knows? Maybe they'll throw a "90s to now country" station on there just to knock the Nash Icon station "down a few pegs." It seems that a lot of these translator stations from iHeartMedia are much commercial free, so they're obviously not selling ads, but instead have some other objectives.

As for using it to simulcast an AM station, is iHeartMedia even doing that with their translators? From what I've seen, it seems that they're taking advantage of these translators to put new content on the air, most of which are a simulcast of HD2 stations.

I couldn't agree more. Six country stations in one market is just insane. But I had a feeling it was coming. I knew CC was going to make one of their typical stupid decisions, so I can't say I'm surprised.

I think this will be one of those battles of who can fail the least. Cumulus isn't giving up because Nash Icons has to be everywhere, no matter how poorly it does. iHeartMedia isn't giving up because they don't care if it fails, their only objective is to make Nash Icons look weaker.

It's all about brand confusion... People are not going to remember to put "Nash Icon" in their diary, or "Bull Icons", just "Nash" and "Bull" which will give credit to 92.9 and 98.1. Now, my question is how will Hank 96.1 fair in the ratings with this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom