• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1960s-70s Los Angeles Radio Jingles

T

Thomps2525

For those of us who grew up with KFWB, KRLA, KHJ and other legendary stations of the 1960s-70s, this thread will be, to use a Gary Owens expression, a memory-flogger. We can post links to old radio jingles or post the jingles themselves. First, here is a 13-minute clip of KRLA jingles, intros and promos from 1961, including such slogans as "The Giant" and "Sounds delightful" and the poorly-worded "You hear more music than any other station on KRLA."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzFGAEW24Y

Thank you for the great jingles info. In a similar vein I'm looking for playlists from some of the LA MOR staions of the late 60's to 70's. Can you help direct me? I've seen a few on the KMPC tribute site but that's mostly it. Thank you!!

I remember the very simple jingle that was sung by female singers. "Hit Radio 11 KRLA". It was so simple that even as a small child (I must have been three or four years old) I knew where I could get "hit music": 11 KRLA of course.

Greg: From 1966 to 1973, a list of the albums being played each week on KMPC appeared in the "Survey Of Hits" folders which were published by Studio City Advertising in Los Angeles and given out at local record stores. There were 40 albums on the list but they were not in any kind of order. Each week, a few albums would be removed from the list and new albums would take their place. I grabbed a survey at random. It's for the first week of August 1966. KMPC's playlist included Peggy Lee's Big Spender, Sarah Vaughan's The New Scene, Frank Sinatra's Strangers In The Night, Walter Wanderley's Rain Forest, Brook Benton's That Old Feeling, Jopanie Sommers' Come Alive, Willie Bobo's Uno Dos Tres, Bobby Darin's In A Broadway Bag and Tony Bennett's The Movie Song Album. Give me an e-mail address and I can scan some of the lists and send them to you.

Here is a six-minute compilation of KIIS jingles from 1973 to 1983, which the poster says is "ten years." It's eleven. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJeJ30JeTHs

If Arte Moreno can say the Anaheim Angels are in Los Angeles, then I can say that Oakland is part of Los Angeles. Here is a BayAreaRadio page which includes a lot of airchecks and jingles from the old KEWB Channel 91. Among the airchecks are guys by the name of Kasem, Owens, Steele, Morgan and MacKinnon:

http://bayarearadio.org/audio/kewb/

All the links I just clicked on work fine? Interesting to hear Tom Campbell do a 1 minute and 20 second commercial for a Chevy dealer. That's what Tom was famous for, extending 60 second spots for Cal Stereo and Dow Stereo into mini infomercials and only pay for a minute!

Hot Hits, I'm guessing you don't have AOL! How many of us can still recite the cities in the Cal Stereo commercials? "Bellflower, Canoga Park, San Bernardino, North Hollywood, East L.A. ..." Tom Campbell still does voiceovers for commercials and movie previews (especially for Disney films). Almost everyone insists on calling those previews "trailers" even though they are shown before the movie, not after, and each one even says "preview." These are the same people who continue to say that they dial a phone number.

Hot Hits, I'm guessing you don't have AOL! How many of us can still recite the cities in the Cal Stereo commercials? "Bellflower, Canoga Park, San Bernardino, North Hollywood, East L.A. ..." Tom Campbell still does voiceovers for commercials and movie previews (especially for Disney films). Almost everyone insists on calling those previews "trailers" even though they are shown before the movie, not after, and each one even says "preview." These are the same people who continue to say that they dial a phone number.

I had a cell phone a few years ago (my last flip phone, IIRC) and the call button (you hit after you punch in the number) was labeled "dial." We still "tape" TV shows with our DVRs, and when we go to the movie theater, it's to watch a "film." These word labels are part of our vernacular, and they are tough to expunge from our vocabulary.

In the 70s and 80s, we had a chain of camera stores in the Bay Area (now there is something you don't see anymore) called DeNevi which had a jingle for their locations, and it's still in my memory banks: "Santa Clara, San Francisco, Dublin, Berkeley, San Lorenzo, Cupertino, San Jose." I can still sing the tune, too.

That's why jingles were so memorable - they permanently plant the information in your brain-pan. I'll probably still be able to sing "The Real Don Steele. 93/KHJ" when I'm senile and can't remember the names of my kids...

I do still use AOL for some poor reason I guess. When I heard the KYA spot I thought this is much longer than a minute. What you might not know is Tom Campbell was a con man, always trying to exceed his 60 seconds. At KOLA we just would speed him up. When he would come to the Inland Empire to do remotes from the stores, he would try to get away with 3 minute spots. He even told me to come see him and he would set me up with a Stereo if I looked the other way. The owner of the Station was wise to this. Had a whole room filled with Records and Cal Stereo gear, thousands of dollars in equipment Tom used to pay his bill. My sister even had a picture with Tom from a Club. How Campbell got away with demanding some of his spots played at the top of the hour was strange. Also remember the 'SuperShops'!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom