• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.7 WELJ to become NASH-FM

reelyreal

Star Participant
The word's been getting around the industry people for the past couple of days, WELJ Montauk/New London will be dropping the Hot AC and going NASH, which will put it up against heritage WCTY and relative new-comer U.S. Country 99.5 (W258BI New London and WBMW-HD2).

Is there room in a tiny market like New London for 3 FM country stations? Yeah... there isn't.

WELJ is in a spinoff trust. Cumulus is supposed to be selling it to stay under the ownership limits, as a result of the Citadel merger. Joule Broadcasting is the holding company of the trustee, while they "try to spin off the station."

Which of course nobody's really putting any effort into.

Could this incarnation of Nash be aimed at Eastern Long Island instead of New London? The move just makes no sense, especially going up against a Heritage Country station in addition to a relatively strong translator that doesn't play any commercials.

Since Friday afternoon, WELJ has been simulcasting New York's 94.7 Nash FM. I did not list long enough to know if the commercials were local or not.

And I give up. What's the connection between Cumulus and Joule Broadcasting LLC the listed owner of 104.7 WELJ?

As reelyreal mentions, Joule is a divestiture trust for Cumulus. However, Cumulus can now legally own WELJ 104.7 because it sold WDBY 105.5 to Townsquare as part of its deal to acquire Dial Global last year.

I wondered the same thing Scott Burns did. Of course the 104.7 signal doesn't cover much land at all. So, it won't be much help no matter what it's doing.

As reelyreal mentions, Joule is a divestiture trust for Cumulus. However, Cumulus can now legally own WELJ 104.7 because it sold WDBY 105.5 to Townsquare as part of its deal to acquire Dial Global last year.

I wondered the same thing Scott Burns did. Of course the 104.7 signal doesn't cover much land at all. So, it won't be much help no matter what it's doing.

During it's days as 104.7 The Wolf WMOS was listenable with just a simple boombox and antenna when I went to high school in Colchester.. more listenable then 102.3 The Wave WVVE.

Paul

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom